Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Waterboarding is preferable to eBay customer service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
reljac said:
If you are concerned, then file with the better business bureau in San Jose (BBB). It's the best way to get past the CS monkeys. Ebay does seem to concern themselves with their BBB rating, so they will respond to your complaint.

It seems to me that Ebay underestimated, how in a rating system people tend to rate the extremes. Either 5 if they were satisfied or 0 if they were unhappy. There is little middle ground. The problem with this is that due to hidden DSRs there is no mechanism in place for sellers to appeal DSRs, even if everything they did was compliant. I could sell an item in the morning, get it in the mail by noon, and still receive a 'slow shipping' DSR of 0 or 1, unless I used the 1 day handling time & purchase the shipping online and it happen to not get delayed in route required to bypass the DSR in that category.

Here's some example of people discussing the fact that ebay does reply to BBB complaints

Here is a link to the BBB in San Jose where you would report Ebay

REMEMBER, YOU are a customer of ebay and they are interested in maintaining their BBB rating.

Hahahaha. The BBB

You should start an online petition. That'd work just as well

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
JoshHamilton said:
reljac said:
If you are concerned, then file with the better business bureau in San Jose (BBB). It's the best way to get past the CS monkeys. Ebay does seem to concern themselves with their BBB rating, so they will respond to your complaint.

It seems to me that Ebay underestimated, how in a rating system people tend to rate the extremes. Either 5 if they were satisfied or 0 if they were unhappy. There is little middle ground. The problem with this is that due to hidden DSRs there is no mechanism in place for sellers to appeal DSRs, even if everything they did was compliant. I could sell an item in the morning, get it in the mail by noon, and still receive a 'slow shipping' DSR of 0 or 1, unless I used the 1 day handling time & purchase the shipping online and it happen to not get delayed in route required to bypass the DSR in that category.

Here's some example of people discussing the fact that ebay does reply to BBB complaints

Here is a link to the BBB in San Jose where you would report Ebay

REMEMBER, YOU are a customer of ebay and they are interested in maintaining their BBB rating.

Hahahaha. The BBB

Very true. The BBB is a complete joke. Even the shadiest of companies can maintain an excellent BBB rating with a "donation".

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
72skywalker said:
Last I checked there is no gun pointed at your head forcing you to use the Ebay site. Sell somewhere elese. Simple.

That just doesn't hold water. That's like telling someone that lives in a small town with one department store that if they don't like Walmart, not to shop there.

What it doesn't do is give Walmart the right to unfairly treat customers by selling bad product, refusing returns, and banning people from shopping there. There are several avenues of consumer protection. local, state, and federal laws and regulations are one, a softer one is the BBB (which is quite effective when a company is concerned about their rating as EBAY is), and there are others.

While I'd love another option with more seller protection with the exposure that ebay has (even if the fees are the same or higher), You have more of a choice than use it don't use it. If no one speaks up, then the system won't change. If enough complain and fill out better business complaints then we may just see improvement.

It's just simply flawed logic to hold the sellers responsible for mail time. They have the tracking information when shipping is purchases online. Ebay just chooses to ignore the information and not use the time the package is initially checked in at the post office. It's equally flawed logic to punish sellers for shipping charges when they are posted prior to completion of the auction, especially when combined with method of shipment (bubble mailer, PWE, etc.). Especially, since they self police kicking off sellers that divert ebay fees by using large shipping charges. If not for these two flawed categories, the EBAY DSR system would work fine.

Low DSRs in shipping time is appropriate when the seller takes two weeks to get the package to the post office, not when they take 2 hours, but the postal service takes 2 weeks to deliver. Low DSRs in shipping charges is appropriate when seller doesn't honor their stated combined shipping charges, when the buyer has to pay additionally shipping on delivery, when the shipping method is other than stated, or when shipping is calculated post sale and is inappropriate.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
JoshHamilton said:
Hahahaha. The BBB

Have you ever even filled out a BBB complaint? Probably not, judging by your response.... Last one I filled out for TXU Energy netted me an immediate phone call from the compliance department of one of the largest energy suppliers in Texas. My complaint was handled professionally and I received double the physical compensation I had lost, due to noted hardship.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
reljac said:
JoshHamilton said:
Hahahaha. The BBB

Have you ever even filled out a BBB complaint? Probably not, judging by your response.... Last one I filled out for TXU Energy netted me an immediate phone call from the compliance department of one of the largest energy suppliers in Texas. My complaint was handled professionally and I received double the physical compensation I had lost, due to noted hardship.

You're right, I haven't

You know what else I've never done? Checked the BBB before conducting business with a company

TXU sucks, by the way

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
JoshHamilton said:
You're right, I haven't

You know what else I've never done? Checked the BBB before conducting business with a company

TXU sucks, by the way

Not a matter of whether you or I care about the BBB's ratings or not, because I would never check either... It's a matter of whether the company being complained about, in this case EBAY, does. Based on the link I provided others indicate they have received resolution via the BBB and that EBAY is concerned with their BBB ratings. It's one of the ways to bypass the CS people, that read from a book of responses.

72skywalker

Aug 4, 2010
All that i am saying is that everyone like to complain that "Ebay sided with the other person and not me.", "Ebay would not get rid of the negative that I received.", or "Ebay charges high fees and their customer service sucks." (pause to wipe my eyes and blow my nose with my tissue) If everyone is so unhappy with ebay they can look other places to buy or sell their cards instead of crying about it. How did you buy yor cards before ebay. I know that it is the easiest and most searched site on the web, but there are other options. This is a hobby for me to enjoy myself. If I wanted to hear people cry all day about stupid meaningless things i will watch Oprah or some show like that.

Denis Leary said it best when he said "Life sucks, get a helmet."

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
72skywalker said:
How did you buy yor cards before ebay.

Not very applicable to this case, considering it's about 'how did you sell your cards before ebay'... which the answer for many people would either be set up at shows, not sell at all, or sell to the local card shop at 10-20% of their value if lucky.

The other options for selling would return substantially less in sales than ebay. The original poster is frustrated because he may have done nothing wrong except come up against 4 jerks. Handling time of less than 3 days, certainly doesn't warrant 0 or 1 (unacceptable level) shipping time no matter how you chop it up. Having to move to another platform just further punishes this seller when he has potentially done nothing wrong.

72skywalker

Aug 4, 2010
Are they really jerks if they gave honest feedback as to the time it took them to pay and then receive their cards? Maybe the system is faulty but until someone comes up with a better one it does no good crying about it.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
notjomommasclint said:
sorry to read this yo! ebay puts policies into place without real time logic. then they train their minions that there is no flex... all of which is ********. it should be a case by case situation. the customer should not be able to leave a 1 or a 2 without a negative and if dsr is so important they need to calculate feedback based on that and at least require an explanation so you can better you chance of reaching a higher score........

you want to blow their mind? next time anyone gets one of these... or loses their status. take the percentage of overall cases you have had to open and use that in your conversation. i had 4.8% of my total sales (12month) go to case due to lack of payment. so the 3 1-2 dsrs i received over the 12 month period was smaller than the percentage of their buyers who failed to pay. then ask them why you are expected to live up to their standards when they fail to achieve a higher percentage of positive transactions. you can literally hear the customer service reps internal drive rebooting... and then crashing.
I think differently. If you get the card BUT the seller took two weeks to mail and charged $4.50 S&H, then I would leave a positive for getting the card but ding their shipping time and cost of S&H DSR's rather than leave them a neutral or neg, but that's just me. I think there is no perfect way to do this as long as they are intent on having DSR's. Without DSR's I would leave the seller a neutral, which I'm not sure if it affects their feedback%.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
72skywalker said:
Are they really jerks if they gave honest feedback as to the time it took them to pay and then receive their cards? Maybe the system is faulty but until someone comes up with a better one it does no good crying about it.

You really ought to understand what you are talking about. The people are jerks because they aren't following ebay's guidelines:

Here's what it states in the ebay help files:

How quickly did the seller ship the item?
Rate the seller only on the time it took to mail the item, not the time it took you to receive the item.

Don't hold sellers responsible for delays in mail services, international custom delays, or for the time it takes for your payment to clear. If you picked up the item locally, you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

If the seller met specific shipping time requirements, the seller will automatically receive a 5-star shipping time detailed seller rating and you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

Note: If we determine at a later date that the seller met the requirements for an automatic 5-star shipping time rating, we may adjust the rating to 5 stars.

This is also the reason the OP here has every right to complain to the better business bureau and would likely see the case resolved to his satisfaction

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
72skywalker said:
All that i am saying is that everyone like to complain that "Ebay sided with the other person and not me.", "Ebay would not get rid of the negative that I received.", or "Ebay charges high fees and their customer service sucks." (pause to wipe my eyes and blow my nose with my tissue) If everyone is so unhappy with ebay they can look other places to buy or sell their cards instead of crying about it. How did you buy yor cards before ebay. I know that it is the easiest and most searched site on the web, but there are other options. This is a hobby for me to enjoy myself. If I wanted to hear people cry all day about stupid meaningless things i will watch Oprah or some show like that.

Denis Leary said it best when he said "Life sucks, get a helmet."

Last I checked there is no gun pointed at your head forcing you to read these threads.

72skywalker

Aug 4, 2010
Last I checked there is no gun pointed at your head forcing you to read these threads.

The OP was probably in the right completely. I just needed something to do to waste a Friday afternoon at work so I figured i would create a little fun of my own. Like I said, the OP probably did nothing wrong.

Members online

Latest posts