Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Welcome new sponsor Value My Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
thanks!

awesome ted williams! saw those...wanted to collect that set but it was just too much coin for my budget. however i was able to COP this a long time ago from the original set.
dimaggio.jpg

Not to derail the thread...but where is that patch supposed to be from for DiMaggio?

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
After being out of baseball since his retirement as a player, Joe became the first hitting instructor of the newly relocated Oakland Athletics from 1968 to 1970.

Didn't know that. Then, as with many of these cards, my pet peeve is that the card says Yankees but the swatch is from another team the player was involved with.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Do port sales give you a listing for each card sold in the lot with an averaged sale price?

Port Sales are selling all the cards in your portfolio at one time. If you had a portfolio with a Book Value of $5000, someone could buy the port for $500. Each card in the portfolio would be marked with a sales prices that was 90% off the Book Value.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Not exactly sure how I would be able to contact every user at COMC to give us their sales data other than by advertising or COMC allowing us to PM every user to send us their data. Also I believe COMC might have some connection with beckett, which probably wouldn't like what we are trying to do. Also not sure what type of quality the sales data might be in terms of providing an accurate picture of median net present value for a card. while there are many COMC members there aren't as many as eBay. thus COMC might have more outlying data which doesn't prove to be a good negotiating tool. example, sellers likes to always quote the highest sales price while buyers lakes to always quote the lowest sales price.

I wasn't recommending you contact any COMC users and ask for their data, more just making them aware that you would accept voluntary imports of their data to help present a more comprehensive view of current values. As my suggestion seems to have been misinterpreted on nearly every level, I'll just say nevermind and good luck to you.

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
I wasn't recommending you contact any COMC users and ask for their data, more just making them aware that you would accept voluntary imports of their data to help present a more comprehensive view of current values. As my suggestion seems to have been misinterpreted on nearly every level, I'll just say nevermind and good luck to you.

i didn't mean to misinterpret your suggestion, but more try trying to discuss out loud a way to go about your suggestion. i guess we could concentrate on big sellers on COMC for them to volunteer their sales data to us, but i would think it is pretty difficult to randomly ask a random amount of COMC members to volunteer their data. i can definitely see the benefit in doing that if they are able to provide data for some card we do not have data for. however if we have like 10+ data points and a COMC member provides us 1 more data point that is within the average value, i don't really see a huge benefit in redetermining a value or validating a certain value.

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
Port Sales are selling all the cards in your portfolio at one time. If you had a portfolio with a Book Value of $5000, someone could buy the port for $500. Each card in the portfolio would be marked with a sales prices that was 90% off the Book Value.

i see what you mean. im a little hesitant to including "port sales" into an individual "value" of cards. most likely if a person did a port sale they got a pretty nice discount to buy multiple cards. similarly we do find instances of multiple card sales in our data, but we do not classify them for the very same reason it devalues the card because people are selling them at a discount rate. as of this moment we are trying to provide a single card value. if people have multiples people can sell it at whatever value they want. so many times people use book value and discount it at a random percentages. we are trying to go away from "book value" and provide a more accurate net present value that people can determine off our website.

Last edited:

lincecumpc

Jul 7, 2011
I'll reiterate what diakonos more or less has said. COMC could be something we add to the equation in the future but for the true movers and shakers, COMC for the most part does not contain what we classify. COMC is a great place to get things in bulk and harder to find cards for sets but not necessarily mid to high end cards.

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
just tweeted: Just about all new Football data has been updated. New players added Locker, Ponder, Flynn & MORE... check it out!!!

Sneak Peak: we are working hard at adding a lot more baseball. wanna know right away who we are adding? follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/valuemycards

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Just signed up (thanks!) and have a question:

Do you have any plans to also add rookie card autos to the list for players that have prospect autos? For instance, I'm more interested in Jason Heyward's 2010 Bowman autos than his 2008 autos, but for some (wrong) reason I was under the impression both would be on there. I know you start running into problems like Heyward, who has "rookie" autos in almost all of the 2010 sets, and Mike Trout, who also has 2010 and 2011 "rookie" autos. Maybe they just don't meet the "high-dollar" criteria that you're going for?

Anyway, just a question from one interested user. Thanks at least for making your hard work available to us at what seems to be a reasonable price!

P.S. There is a Justin Upton auto (from 11/6/2011) that is listed under the base instead of refractor. By including all of the information you do in the listings, it makes it easy to spot in either case, so I definitely like the format of the listings under the past card auctions.

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
Just signed up (thanks!) and have a question:

Do you have any plans to also add rookie card autos to the list for players that have prospect autos? For instance, I'm more interested in Jason Heyward's 2010 Bowman autos than his 2008 autos, but for some (wrong) reason I was under the impression both would be on there. I know you start running into problems like Heyward, who has "rookie" autos in almost all of the 2010 sets, and Mike Trout, who also has 2010 and 2011 "rookie" autos. Maybe they just don't meet the "high-dollar" criteria that you're going for?

Anyway, just a question from one interested user. Thanks at least for making your hard work available to us at what seems to be a reasonable price!

Hi there. Thank you for signing up and providing great feedback.

To answer your first question. We actually DO have data for Heyward 2010 bowman autos, just not "classified" in the neatly organize way the 08 bowman chromes are. Right now we have concentrated on "true" rookie autos, and while technically the 2010 bowmans have the "rc" stamp on the card we all know that it isn't his "(first) rookie card" in a way. (does that make sense?). BUT, that doesn't mean in the future we won't have these 2010 cards classified as well.

Right now we are developing a tool so people can search ALL our data that we have and NOT just the cards we have "classified." We have data for over 250+ players in baseball, basketball and football. As we near completion we will show teaser screen shots of what it looks like so people will know how to use this new tool. To give you a "teaser" idea, think of an open query box like google/ebay/terapeak, type in the card you are looking for (i.g. jason heyward 2010 bowman auto), click "search" and our site will bring up search results from our database.

P.S. There is a Justin Upton auto (from 11/6/2011) that is listed under the base instead of refractor. By including all of the information you do in the listings, it makes it easy to spot in either case, so I definitely like the format of the listings under the past card auctions.

Thanks for catching that. I've gone in and change that to the correct card. You can go in now and see that it has been changed. Thanks again and we welcome any suggestion!

Last edited:

hoos

Sep 30, 2011
Alaska
Sorry if it has been mentioned, but isn't the other issue with accepting .csv files from eBay, COMC, or wherever that the data is only as good as the ethics of the person submitting it? Pretty simple to change numbers after downloading, and then you have dirty data.

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
Sorry if it has been mentioned, but isn't the other issue with accepting .csv files from eBay, COMC, or wherever that the data is only as good as the ethics of the person submitting it? Pretty simple to change numbers after downloading, and then you have dirty data.

Definitely a good question. I can see that as possibly being a problem with csv COMC files. However, if you look at our site we prove to you that our ebay data is straight from ebay. We provide hyperlinks to all the data we plot and you can even go to ebay to double check our data. I think we are much more transparent than beckett and some other sites. beckett says they get pricing from ebay, retail stores and card shows..etc to explain their valuation of cards. i'm sure there has to be some "dirty data" there as we all know beckett has inflated prices.

hoos

Sep 30, 2011
Alaska
Definitely a good question. I can see that as possibly being a problem with csv COMC files. However, if you look at our site we prove to you that our ebay data is straight from ebay. We provide hyperlinks to all the data we plot and you can even go to ebay to double check our data. I think we are much more transparent than beckett and some other sites. beckett says they get pricing from ebay, retail stores and card shows..etc to explain their valuation of cards. i'm sure there has to be some "dirty data" there as we all know beckett has inflated prices.

Thanks for the info. I was really just referencing the suggestions to accept user-submitted .csv data.

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
Thanks for the info. I was really just referencing the suggestions to accept user-submitted .csv data.

no problem. much appreciated.

Will Josh Hamilton win the triple crown this year? Go Vote today and check out the results to our weekly poll question!

diakonos

Apr 17, 2012
Christian Ponder added to our database. Check out new values of his National Treasures, Contenders, SP Authentic and many more!

lincecumpc

Jul 7, 2011
isnt their a site called thepit.com that does this exact thing?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but thepit.com only tracks sales of cards sold on their site. They are another online consignment store similar to COMC and they don't come close to the market coverage that eBay does, which is the source of our sales statistics.

Members online