Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What ebay listing makes you want to claw your eyes out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
If I pull the rare card and hold for a high price, I feel the player is undervalued and I will hold til the market recognizes its value.
If someone else pulls the rare card and holds for a high price, they are being a jerk and using ebay as a museum. :lol:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
[ebay:1iqc2osq] 110336947548[/ebay:1iqc2osq]

I know that's a lot for Barmes but if I was a super player collector, a card #'d/5 would be worth $35 or less to me. I commend your restraint though.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I had a tough one this month :lol:

Guy lists an Utley 2010 Ginter printing plate for 250 :|

I message him a polite message that I'd be interested if he'd like to sell it at a more reasonable price. He doesn't answer, that's fine. Over the course of the next two weeks the price creeps down....200, 180, 170, 120 ect....Out of the blue it's back up to 200. He then puts a best offer on it when it's at 125. I send an offer for 50. Expires. he then lists it at 75 with best offer. I again try for 50 (btw, this is over what utley plates generally go for by at least 10-15)

For some reason, he puts it back up to 95 and takes off the best offer option :lol: The only offers on it were me.

It sat there for a week before he took it down so who knows what happened.

Strange dude. He changed the price about 15 times.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
BowmanChromeAddict said:
[ebay:3koko4nk]250654527359[/ebay:3koko4nk]

The seller has been beyond unreasonable for months. The first two went off on ebay at $225 and 180. A month or so ago one went off around $235. I've offered $250 and the guy still won't budge.

I offered between $200 and $225 and never got a response other than a denial.

If $750 is your bottom line, fine, respond accordingly. Counter offer at $749.98. But a flat out denial does no one any good. I stopped offering on this card out of principle.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
You guys know this, but a lot of the high BIN/BO auctions are up simply to drive eBay store views. Instead of sitting in a box and have 0 chance of selling for what the owner ultimately wants a guy can list the card for close to nothing a month and either sell it for a high price or have it in his store to drive business or be there for when/if the player does get hot.

Also, peope do this because there are crazy collectors out there and sometimes they get the high prices.

I won a 2005 Tulo Bowman Sterling Black Refractor for $125 at live auction in 2007. I sold it to my friend that owned a shop for $175. I told him what I paid and that the ended auction is likely still on eBay, but I needed $175 to part with it. He said, oh it's cool I'll just throw it up in my store and sell it for $400. It took 2 weeks to sell for $350.

I understand how they can cause you to claw your eyes out, just responding to the bashing of all sellers who have BIN/BO's.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
DWright5 said:
Everything listed by this seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/CavalierCards

Nothing against the guy, but every once in a while, he puts up some INSANE, high-end Zimmerman stuff that I'd love to have. Prices are way out of my reach. I've made offers, but never got anything.

He's kinda like my own personal Burbank for Zimmermans :lol:

His shop is in Charlottesville, VA, which is where Zimmerman went to school at UVA. I am sure that has a lot to do with his prices.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My story has a happy ending!

There are 7 1/1's for Jason Jennings in this set. I had 5, and the "P" patch popped up for like $100. None of the others were too much more than $10. The "P" has a really nice patch, but it's still Jason Jennings.

JJ05MB.jpg

The seller and I went back and forth for months before I was finally able to convince him that no Jason Jennings card is worth more than $30. I think that's how much it was in the end...

So keep your chins up fellows, don't give up hope. :D

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
leatherman said:
DWright5 said:
Everything listed by this seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/CavalierCards

Nothing against the guy, but every once in a while, he puts up some INSANE, high-end Zimmerman stuff that I'd love to have. Prices are way out of my reach. I've made offers, but never got anything.

He's kinda like my own personal Burbank for Zimmermans :lol:

His shop is in Charlottesville, VA, which is where Zimmerman went to school at UVA. I am sure that has a lot to do with his prices.

Yeah, I saw the address and figured as much. I'd love to pick up half the stuff he puts up though. He put up a bunch of /3, /5, crazy patches and autos a few months back, all at the same time.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Yankeesfan said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DELLIN-BETANCES-1-1-2007-BOWMAN-CHROME-BC5-RARE-BGS-10-/390205463665?pt=US_Baseball

That is just a joke and for real now is

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Bowman-Chrome- ... S_Baseball
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Bowman-Dellin- ... S_Baseball
I dont know about this one but i would love to own this
while i think his base bgs 10 price is high, i'm not sure the 07 bc ref au bgs 9.5 is that crazy. betances is heating up + if joba/lincecum/etc. prices were any indication, the 07 bc ref au 9.5 could easily go for more than 129 once he heats up even more. i have some betances stuff left (most is listed), but i'm certainly not desperate to part w/it b/c i started my betances stash last year when his stuff absolutely tanked + have already made a very nice profit. why sell for cheap now when you can make more later? sure, some prices are crazy (like the vizquel 1k), but for a hot prospect like betances, i'm not sure it's crazy. funny how most people here as sellers often have their own high prices, but when they're buyers, it's 'omg, can you believe THAT guy?' :lol:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its easy (and lots of fun!) to bust on the sellers who consistently have ridiculous prices. But sometimes people mistakenly think certain kinds of sets are created equal and the only thing that contributes to a card's value is the player.

Sometimes people are quick to say that player X's cards will never reach a certain amount or never achieve a level of demand, there are a buch of factors that influence value that people often forget or don't even know about. With all the different modern releases out there, its easy to get the value of stuff wrong.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Its easy (and lots of fun!) to bust on the sellers who consistently have ridiculous prices. But sometimes people mistakenly think certain kinds of sets are created equal and the only thing that contributes to a card's value is the player.

Sometimes people are quick to say that player X's cards will never reach a certain amount or never achieve a level of demand, there are a buch of factors that influence value that people often forget or don't even know about. With all the different modern releases out there, its easy to get the value of stuff wrong.
exactly. + sometimes, you get lucky w/high BINs...ex., i sold a betances xfractor au recently for 58 via bin/bo. 'going rate' on 2-3 others that ended via auctions was $30. so should i have taken the offers i got for 20-30 when i wasn't even desperate to move the card ASAP? no. for cards i need/want to move now, i do auctions. for cards i can sit on (take freddie freeman who may get a sept callup), i list bin/bo. sometimes people hit the BIN outright, even if it's 'crazy' compared to the others...my fav case of that is 06 bc alex gordon gold ref au...crazy BIN of 1400 (going rate was 700-900). many called me 'nuts' for listing it that high. boom, within 1 day of it being up, someone hit my BIN. other times, people want a card so much, they'll pay MORE than a guy's rc...ex., 07 bcdp brent lillibridge super (my only super pulled to date lol yippee not). i put it up for something like 299/totally random price. people lowballed me + said 'hey, the REAL rc (05) super only went for $X...you'll never get anything near what you want.' boom, someone offered 225-250.

bottom line: just b/c a card's listed doesn't mean a seller's desperate to sell it. high BINS get hit often enough to justify 'fishing'. sometimes high BINS lead to better offers.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Yankeesfan said:
Raine i just noticed ive been buying my betances from you lol
lol you know you want the gold 9.5 + orange 9.5s ;) I got lucky on betances + got a decent stash started last year for very cheaply. sold some recently + paid for the stash + a very nice profit. i'm ok sitting on what i have left. just picked up an 07 bc orange ref (non auto) bgs 9.5 for < $40...a raw orange went for $60 yesterday, so boom, I can already profit ;)

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
No particular single listing bothers me but more of a collection of listings. As a hard core 90's A-Rod collector, nothing bothers me more than staring at the awesome cards Burbank has listed of Alex from the 90's with their prices that simply won't creep down.

Members online