Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the baseball moment...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Back in 1995, the Yankees made the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. I wasn't missing their first game, but being in Worcester, MA for college, I had to do some finessing of my time, money, and transportation to make it happen. I managed to score 4 bleacher tickets by phone (going to operator hell to make that happen) and we were set for Game 1.

4-5 hours drive and we get there about 90 minutes early and decide to hit Monument Park. But with little time to spare we end up getting shuffled out, but through the regular grandstands entrance as it happens. We're in, and totally by accident. So now we hunt for 4 seats during the maddest rush of attendance they had in years.

Somehow we get four seats about 25 rows back behind first base and everyone around us knows we're watching everyone that walks up and down the aisles as if they're going to pounce on us. sending us back to the bleachers.

And then it happens. Getting close to first pitch, the field is mostly empty before the lineups are to be introduced and two figures emerge from the dugout, hit the right field line, and wind sprint away. Don Mattingly and the other I can't recall. The crowd notices as the field is mostly his at the moment and of course this being Donnie Ballgame's first and only playoff appearance. The standing ovation rose like thunder and persisted for what felt like somewhere between mere moments to eternity. He realized what was happening and gave what had to be one of the most heartfelt acknowledgements to the crowd I've ever witnessed. It was both the beginning and the end that day and for a lot of us in attendance a purely magical moment.

We made it through the 5th inning in those seats, everyone around us watching our plight as well. And of course that was when the real ticket holders showed. Amazing. Griffey's line drive off the Utz sign, multiple lead changes, and eventually a Yankee win made that 5 hour car ride home more of a dream.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
lonesomeagle1 said:
Bucky ***ing Dent!!!!!!!!

I have to one up that.

My favorite baseball moment of all time, and I nearly pissed my pants watching it live, was when Aaron 'Bleeping' Boone went all jimmy jack in the bottom of the 11th. First at bat of the game, facing knuckle baller Wakefield, first swing, deep into the left field seats, sending the Bronx Bombers to the World Series.

That 2003 ALCS was the greatest baseball series from top to bottom that I have ever seen. But game 7, man that was awesome. Pedro vs The Rocket. What an exciting game. Bret Boone calling the game in the booth with Buck and McCarver, and watching in shock as his brother became a Yankee legend right in front of his eyes. So much happened in that moment. Mariano running to the mound and collapsing. Derek having told Boone earlier in the game not to worry because the ghosts will come alive. Man, gives me goosebumps writing about it.

I have game 7 on my iTunes.

Could you imagine the excitement and thrill it must have been to be in The Stadium that night? Man, I would kill to have been there.

Here's a video.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3218889

boone4.jpg

Boone2.jpg

Boone1.jpg

AaronBoone.jpg

Mets/Jets

Sep 11, 2011
Ive got two. Mookie Wilson hitting the ball to Bill Buckner. Mike Piazza HR right after 9/11.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
2004 NLCS Game 4. Jim Edmonds diving catch, I was there and that play saved the game. The place erupted, it was the best game I had been to at that time and it is still in the top 5 for me. When he dove I really did'nt believe what I saw, I turned and watched the replay 3 times on the TV screens. One of my favorite baseball moments ever.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
bassprokvd said:
Kerry Wood's 20k game in 1998. I'll never forget getting home from school and me and the old man watching the last four or five innings together.

I don't say this often, but you have an awesome sig! Fab 5!!

tommyd2107

Oct 29, 2009
"One strike away; nothing-and-two, the count to Hinske. Fans on the their feet; rally towels are being waved. Brad Lidge stretches. The 0-2 pitch — swing and a miss, struck him out! The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of baseball! Brad Lidge does it again, and stays perfect for the 2008 season! 48-for-48 in save opportunities, and let the city celebrate! Don't let the 48-hour wait diminish the euphoria of this moment, and the celebration. And it has been 28 years since the Phillies have enjoyed a World Championship; 25 years in this city that a team that has enjoyed a World Championship, and the fans are ready to celebrate. What a night!" Harry Kalas

Game 5 of the 2008 World Series.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I sat and watched this at school until about 8 at night (it was conference night) and listened to John Gordon call it at home.

[youtube:3p38g5b9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KLSVGU23vU[/youtube:3p38g5b9]

The first ever game at Target Field. We paid $2 to sit in $200 seats. TJ Oakes hurled the first pitch, Clint Ewing (LA Tech) shot a blast to left field for the first ever home run at Target Field (sorry fellow Twins fans, I consider this the first homer). Gophers lost. Knudson and I shared a laugh about the game at TwinsFest though.

[youtube:3p38g5b9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdbslFZkWaY[/youtube:3p38g5b9]

Twins first pitch at Target Field. Pavano to Skip Schumaker for the ground out.

[youtube:3p38g5b9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ZNxLPbogU[/youtube:3p38g5b9]

Out of all of them, this is the moment that gives me the most chills. I went nuts when I found out he was back with the Twins, but to get to see him play was the greatest moment ever. We were watching the game, and either Mauer or Dinkleman was up, and I saw Jones in the batter's box. The game was a loss, but 40,000 people rose to their feet and applauded for him as he came to the plate.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Pedro Martinez 1999 ASG: strikes out Barry Larkin, Larry Walker, Sammy Sosa, and Mark Mcgwire. Then Matt Williams reaches on an error and Pedro strikes out Jeff Bagwell as Pudge guns down Williams. Some of the changeups he throws in two innings are absolutely ridiculous.

Members online

Latest posts