Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What was the best year for baseball cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
Anyone have an opinion on the best year for baseball cards? It could be for any reason. Heck, it could be 2010 just because of Strasburg in Bowman if you really wish.

My year would be 2005, simply because I love Leaf products and think the card design is really nice in 05 Limited and Certified, and they are some of the few modern cards I seek to collect now that I buy mostly vintage.

What do you think?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
2004, for me. Competition was fierce, which makes for increased interest.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
2010 is shaping up to be a good year, but Topps need to hit a homerun with Bowman Chrome and Bowman Chrome Draft. Hopefully Sterling will be better then the last year.

Topps Series 1 was exciting with the Cards your Mom threw away buy back promotion. I feel even though Topps does not have the competition they once had they have still stepped up their game and I am really looking forward to future products.

cgilmo said:

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
2010 is shaping up to be a good year, but Topps need to hit a homerun with Bowman Chrome and Bowman Chrome Draft. Hopefully Sterling will be better then the last year.

Topps Series 1 was exciting with the Cards your Mom threw away buy back promotion. I feel even though Topps does not have the competition they once had they have still stepped up their game and I am really looking forward to future products.

cgilmo said:

No way

price of boxes are way too high
Not enough choices
Those buybacks are the same junk as those Tristar find the candy in my pocket products

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
A lot of people who typically did not buy boxes or cards in general did as a result of Topps promotion. Also with Strasburg and 2010 Bowman Chrome I know of two people alone who have gotten back into the hobby who have not collected in over 10 years. That is whatthis hobby/business needs

The hobby needs something big to happen to get new people into it, and I feel Topps has done a decent job of doing that this year. The publicity Topps received for the buy back promotion was strong.

js0000001 said:
Huffamaniac said:

cgilmo said:

No way

Not enough choices
Those buybacks are the same junk as those Tristar find the candy in my pocket products

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Too many choices causes big problems too. Ask Walmart, who had to decrease the number of product by 15% in many places because consumers were alwas starting to wonder if another product would have left them more satisfied than the first and as a result were never satisfied or were less satisfied then if there were just a couple choices. Psychologists call this a 'paradox of choice' or something like it. Too many choices can lead to gambling behavior if you're always unsatisfied and need to get your fix because you'll always want to get something else.

js0000001 said:
No way

Not enough choices

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Too many choices causes big problems too. Ask Walmart, who had to decrease the number of product by 15% in many places because consumers were alwas starting to wonder if another product would have left them more satisfied than the first and as a result were never satisfied or were less satisfied than if there were just a couple choices. Psychologists call this a 'paradox of choice' or something like it.

js0000001 said:
No way

Not enough choices

The only way I might be able to affording ripping any good wax to buy at presell.
Every product that's coming out it is skyrocketing in price the day after release.
Demand is higher then supply and this is a deliberate (fake scarcity) move by Topps.
I want a crap UD product that tanks soon after release so I can afford to crack a case.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'll always be a sucker for mid-late 90s wax. I know it's not the 'best' for baseball cards, but it's the time period where I was in my collecting peak. I loved those matte Fleer cards in '96 and '97, especially the "Lumber Company" inserts.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
js0000001 said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
Too many choices causes big problems too. Ask Walmart, who had to decrease the number of product by 15% in many places because consumers were alwas starting to wonder if another product would have left them more satisfied than the first and as a result were never satisfied or were less satisfied than if there were just a couple choices. Psychologists call this a 'paradox of choice' or something like it.

js0000001 said:
No way

Not enough choices

The only way I might be able to affording ripping any good wax to buy at presell.
Every product that's coming out it is skyrocketing in price the day after release.
Demand is higher then supply and this is a deliberate (fake scarcity) move by Topps.
I want a crap UD product that tanks soon after release so I can afford to crack a case.

OK, sounds like you'd be happy with increased supply of existing choices then.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky

This year got me back into collecting with my first hobby boxes.

2005 Fleer Tradition (my first hobby purchase)
2005 Fleer Authentix (great patches)
2005 Reflections (dual autographs)

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I loved 2005 Reflections. i have so many of the dual autos in my personal collection

ffgameman said:

This year got me back into collecting with my first hobby boxes.

2005 Fleer Tradition (my first hobby purchase)
2005 Fleer Authentix (great patches)
2005 Reflections (dual autographs)

Members online

Latest posts