Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you like to see in a card shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Russ S. said:
Tons of wax
images

90's inserts
images

on-card autos
images

sugar free energy drinks (God knows many of you need to lay off the sugar & carbs. ;)
images

video slots/poker
bikini clad hotties

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I thought of a couple things... live (in person, streaming, and youtube) group breaks.

A "super collector" program. I know a couple shops do this, but you have people pay a small one time fee and in return whenever a card of their player comes in, you offer it to them first with a 10-15% discount.

I would def. join something like that.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
I thought of a couple things... live (in person, streaming, and youtube) group breaks.

A "super collector" program. I know a couple shops do this, but you have people pay a small one time fee and in return whenever a card of their player comes in, you offer it to them first with a 10-15% discount.

I would def. join something like that.

That super collector thing is a great idea.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
a back stock area with all the common cards. Either divided up by team, or by set. Being a player collector, I love going thru a shops back stock looking for the common cards no one gave a rats ass about when they were pack busting looking for the next big insert.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I would like to see some sort of a buyback program.

Say... if you buy a box, you can sell back whatever you pull for cash back or a certificate. It wouldn't be a lot, like a penny per base card, 2 cents an insert, and negotiate prices for low end parallels and hits.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Big Mac McGwire said:
FILL THE DISPLAY CASES WITH HIGH END INSERTS OF STAR PLAYERS.

ONE OF THE MOST ANNOYING THINGS IS SEEING A DISPLAY CASE FILLED WITH
SIGNED INSERTS OF COMMON PLAYERS.

Why are you shouting?

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
It's sad, but when I think of LCS's it's probably easier to think of "what not to do", because that's what I'm used to seeing.

The biggest no-no's I'm used to are -
Poor selection - Wax, singles, supplies you name it.....I shouldn't walk into a store and ask for stuff like team bags and then have to explain to the owner what they are.
Acting like the internet doesn't exist - Paying more than Blowout is okay, but some stores I've seen price things so high you can't justify shopping at a local store. Or with singles - There are $10-12 (marked) Gu'd that sit there forever because they are $1-2 Ebay cards. If they were priced $3-5 they'd be gone....it's basically Ebay price but you get to keep what would have been the shipping fee.

I can go on, but really it's all obvious stuff that just about any member here would know.

I did have one other thing I figure I'd throw out there (Don't think it's been mentioned).....
How will you handle pack sales?

I've dreamed of opening a shop too, and this is a question I'm not sure I'm able to answer.
As a customer - two major problems are the thought someone could be pack-searching and dead boxes or letting regulars buy until they get the hits.

So do you keep it all behind the counter? I know it sucks to those that would never think of searching, but is it easier that way? Does it provide piece of mind that it's not something you have to worry about as a customer? This is what I'd lean toward....though I'd try to be accommodating. i.e. - The customer can let me know they want the packs on the top left.

Another thought I had was opening a few boxes and creating a super-box of sorts (maybe some sort of shelving to stack and hold them). To be honest I'm not sure if that would piss people off or not. :lol: The benefit would be that it could eliminate the "dead-box" some or customers thinking that's the case when they see a rummaged box with a few packs left. Even though the odds would be the same - I feel it also might give the impression that they have a better chance if they know there are 2-3 boxes worth of hits available to them......I dunno, like I said not sure if that would be a good idea or not, but figure I'd throw it out there.....and imo how pack sales are handled is something that could prove vital.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
rymflaherty said:
It's sad, but when I think of LCS's it's probably easier to think of "what not to do", because that's what I'm used to seeing.

The biggest no-no's I'm used to are -
Poor selection - Wax, singles, supplies you name it.....I shouldn't walk into a store and ask for stuff like team bags and then have to explain to the owner what they are.
Acting like the internet doesn't exist - Paying more than Blowout is okay, but some stores I've seen price things so high you can't justify shopping at a local store. Or with singles - There are $10-12 (marked) Gu'd that sit there forever because they are $1-2 Ebay cards. If they were priced $3-5 they'd be gone....it's basically Ebay price but you get to keep what would have been the shipping fee.

I can go on, but really it's all obvious stuff that just about any member here would know.

I did have one other thing I figure I'd throw out there (Don't think it's been mentioned).....
How will you handle pack sales?

I've dreamed of opening a shop too, and this is a question I'm not sure I'm able to answer.
As a customer - two major problems are the thought someone could be pack-searching and dead boxes or letting regulars buy until they get the hits.

So do you keep it all behind the counter? I know it sucks to those that would never think of searching, but is it easier that way? Does it provide piece of mind that it's not something you have to worry about as a customer? This is what I'd lean toward....though I'd try to be accommodating. i.e. - The customer can let me know they want the packs on the top left.

Another thought I had was opening a few boxes and creating a super-box of sorts (maybe some sort of shelving to stack and hold them). To be honest I'm not sure if that would piss people off or not. :lol: The benefit would be that it could eliminate the "dead-box" some or customers thinking that's the case when they see a rummaged box with a few packs left. Even though the odds would be the same - I feel it also might give the impression that they have a better chance if they know there are 2-3 boxes worth of hits available to them......I dunno, like I said not sure if that would be a good idea or not, but figure I'd throw it out there.....and imo how pack sales are handled is something that could prove vital.

If I ever open a shop, Id keep it all behind the counter.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Whenever I try out a new shop, I go into the place as if I have very limited hobby knowledge. I ask questions, looking for appropriate answers and service. If I get it, the store gets my business. If I don't; they don't.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
TBTwinsFan said:
I would like to see some sort of a buyback program.
Say... if you buy a box, you can sell back whatever you pull for cash back or a certificate. It wouldn't be a lot, like a penny per base card, 2 cents an insert, and negotiate prices for low end parallels and hits.
This is one way I want to get my inventory to sell
tramers said:
Prize for birthdays , getting better grades and have pictures of local teams .
incentives are good!
ASTROBURN said:
a back stock area with all the common cards. Either divided up by team, or by set. Being a player collector, I love going thru a shops back stock looking for the common cards no one gave a rats ass about when they were pack busting looking for the next big insert.
Do you have to go through them? or could they just fill the list for you.. Some people are not as careful as they should be when handling your cards..
ThoseBackPages said:
$5 to $10 wax boxes
junk wax is an awesome pack wars product too!

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I have a question about people who bust boxes/cases in hobby shops...
When opening your boxes, do you want other customers to see you open them?
or would you rather be in a secluded spot?
I ask this because the place I want to get into has a back room. It would have a couch and table or a bar type counter and bar stools...
Would you rather have a place like that, a VIP room, where you can open your boxes, and be comfortable, and be able to sort through your cards, put them in top loaders, etc or would you rather open them up out on the sales floor at a table?

Members online

Latest posts