Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When a player has a 2010 BC and a 2010 BDP auto....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
If a player has a BC and a BDP auto come out the same year, I would think the auto would definitely outsell the BC because it's an auto. It seems like this has held true for other players who have had a BDP case, but then had a BC auto released the next year. I think of David Price who had 2007 BDP and a 2008 BC auto. His 2008 BC blue ref auto outsells his 2007 BDP by a good bit and consistently.

Any reason to think differently this won't hold true despite the fact that BC will be the first card this time and not BDP? I noticed a few players from BC will have BDP autos which made me think about this. Will the BC prices drop more or will the BDP prices rise more?

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
people love the auto

That's my thought. So that being said, will the BC cards hold value or should we expect them to drop even more upon BDP release? I think of guys like Machado who has a BC card, but will have an auto in BDP. Who would want the BC when you could get the auto from the same year?

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
What if they are spaced out a couple years? I thought this year would be a good example of Dee Gordon chromes but his AU was scratched from the list.

To me they both have their own values as first. First true chrome card (granted Topps doesnt print their next release or two with "1st Chrome Card" on them as well... ::facepalm:: )

and first Auto which as stated can sometimes be in next years product.

I am really not a fan of how they did this years checklist with the a/b versions of the auto players having a non-auto'd version...

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I just can't see the BC cards holding a strong value since the auto will be readily available.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
cgilmo said:
case in point

dellin betances

Not exactly. Dellin's auto was in BC and his non-auto was in Bowman w/Chrome. Still, it is a same year release with the non-auto first, then the auto releasing. To me, in this case, the drop off in the earlier card in the same year will be more significant than the David Price example from different years. Alex Gordon was another example in the same mold as Dellin Betances.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
As a collector, I'd much rather have the first-year autographed card depicting the player's ML affiliate than the base card depicting Team USA (using Machado as an example). Not close.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
You seem to be comparing two cards during the same year, one is auto'ed, the other isn't, but both are essentially from the same set. I don't think the fact that you're alluding to Bowman matters much if at all.

I don't think anyone cares too much whether one card was released a month or two before the other for the long-term, but its fair to say the initial card will decrease in price when an alternative is released the same year.

tommyfro21 said:
If a player has a BC and a BDP auto come out the same year, I would think the auto would definitely outsell the BC because it's an auto. It seems like this has held true for other players who have had a BDP case, but then had a BC auto released the next year. I think of David Price who had 2007 BDP and a 2008 BC auto. His 2008 BC blue ref auto outsells his 2007 BDP by a good bit and consistently.

Any reason to think differently this won't hold true despite the fact that BC will be the first card this time and not BDP? I noticed a few players from BC will have BDP autos which made me think about this. Will the BC prices drop more or will the BDP prices rise more?

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
carlitoson said:
As a collector, I'd much rather have the first-year autographed card depicting the player's ML affiliate than the base card depicting Team USA (using Machado as an example). Not close.
I see where you are coming from, and in most cases this would hold true, but with this years USA Chrome and the fact they were tuff as hell to pull, I think the value in these will remain higher then normal 1st year chromes.

Autos will always do better though.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
With all things equal, I'd usually agree the auto would be preferred. But if you're a USA collector, the non-auto'ed USA card would be preferred. Its tough to always know what other people are going to want most in the future, I'm not sure its fun trying to guess either.

Russ S. said:
carlitoson said:
I see where you are coming from, and in most cases this would hold true, but with this years USA Chrome and the fact they were tuff as hell to pull, I think the value in these will remain higher then normal 1st year chromes.

Autos will always do better though.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
So take this card for example since we were talking about Machado earlier:

His 2010 BC orange ref sells for $180-200 right now.

What will it sell for once the auto releases? Will stay at this level or drop to $125-150?

What will the auto sell for? Could it sell for $300-400 with the non-auto staying around $200?

I just think it makes things a little more interesting with values when the guy has both a non-auto and an auto in the same year from Bowman.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
I always wonder why there isn't a well defined system for Bowman Cards. Something like this

1st Year Card BC
2nd year Auto BC
BC Rookie Card
BC Auto Rookie Card

Obviously some players will not have the autos but there should be some more importance placed on the 1st Year card so that people who purchase this are aware that the auto is a 2nd year card. FG should be labeled as Inserts. Maybe this is just me wishing there is some order to the madness of prospecting because as of now if Chaz Roe becomes a huge star Ebay is going to get really messy.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
tommyfro21 said:
So take this card for example since we were talking about Machado earlier:

His 2010 BC orange ref sells for $180-200 right now.

What will it sell for once the auto releases? Will stay at this level or drop to $125-150?

What will the auto sell for? Could it sell for $300-400 with the non-auto staying around $200?

I just think it makes things a little more interesting with values when the guy has both a non-auto and an auto in the same year from Bowman.

Autos almost always cripple the value of non-autos. Both have potential if the player ends up being a stud, but if it were me, I'd dump the non-auto stuff ASAP if I knew a guy had a BC auto coming out.

Members online