Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why might this card go up in value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As I need to put together some funds in the next few weeks, there is a good chance I will have to move this card. I've had an offer which IMO is a bit below market value in cash ($1700) which I may end up accepting if I do not get a better offer.

My question is simple. Obviously if the card goes down or stays the same price I will not mind having sold. If it goes up a decent amount I'll probably be a little disappointed since there are plenty of other cards I can move instead. The card used to be $3000 or so, so I know the current price is not necessarily it's ceiling.

So my question is, what are some reasons this might go up in value?

2005 Playoff Absolute Babe Ruth Reverse Negative Jumbo Jersey /24.

hpqscan0001-2.jpg

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
One word...Economy. As the economy goes, so does spending on non-essential needs such as hobbies. With the economy in the tank, people are spending less money on things that they do not need. $3000 is a TON of money to a TON of people. Instead of spending it on a piece of cardboard with a piece of clothe in it, that will go towards mortgage, rent, etc.

That being said, to answer your question...The economy is what is going to up the value on cards (not just yours in particular but overall) and once the economy starts coming around and we climb towards a peak, card values will go up as demand will increase bc people will have more $$ to spend on non-essential items.

Hope that helped.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
The reason that card will see an increase over time is because there will never be another card like it.There isn't much stuff left to cut up and with the recent questions about the authenticity of current GU cards this card stands to become iconic(at least in terms of modern cards).

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
The Absolute jumbo Ruths are the Ruth GU Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned, everyone knows exactly what the jersey piece is from(the $264,210 home jersey that Donruss bought.) Products like Topps Sterling and Tribute with those weird newish looking pinstripes(who knows what that's from, Topps never says) and the stadium seats instead of bat pieces. The prices on the jumbos are a little down probably because of the shaky economy in general I think.

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
To the OP - The economy point is important, but even in an "up" economy, that card is still a HUGE chunk of change to most people. So if we look at the economics a bit more closely, I would say the same person that would buy it in a good economy, would buy it in a bad economy, and that person is likely wealthy enough that the state of the economy doesn't significantly affect their spending. However, the perceived market value could be lower in a down economy than an up economy. So, it's not that the potential buyer is not willing to spend as much, but he knows that he does not HAVE to spend as much because whales like him are harder to find. Why not just throw it up on eBay with a 5K price and see what offers come in? As for value changing - pretty tough to determine that, but I would say that as time goes on, things have a way of disappearing for whatever reason and generally become harder to find and therefore more scarce, making those that remain in circulation more valuable.

colts - you raise an interesting point about the authenticity of seemingly authenticated cards. The jersey that Donruss bought cost so much and drew so much attention, wouldn't additional jersey purchases by Upper Deck and Topps have picked up similar fanfare?

Interesting indeed. It makes me uncomfortable about what I consider one of my top 3 cards in my own collection.

I'd be curious to hear any more information on Yankees uniform variations back in Babe Ruth's era. Did the pinstripes indeed change during his playing years presumably from the "fat" pinstripe on the OP's card to the narrow stripe on the card below?

gu_ruth_2006_exquisite.jpg

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
blanning71 said:
When Ruth passes away, people will jump on the bandwagon and sell sell sell. Prices should see a nice spike.

Was thinking the same... his autographs will become rare as well.

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
P_Manning 18 said:
blanning71 said:
When Ruth passes away, people will jump on the bandwagon and sell sell sell. Prices should see a nice spike.

What am I missing? You guys know that Babe Ruth passed away in 1948 right?

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
parsetdx said:
P_Manning 18 said:
blanning71 said:

You must be thinking of George Herman Ruth. They're talking about Babe Ruth.

Clearly two totally different people.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
parsetdx said:
P_Manning 18 said:
blanning71 said:

When did this happen? I swear I could have sworn I saw him at Walmart the other night picking up some golfballs and fishing line.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
This is a fantastic card, but I really don't think it will command a huge premium over the standard Ruth Jumbo (which is #'d to 89 or so right?). As for value, as was stated previously, this came from the only Ruth Home Jersey ever sliced up. It will always be worth a lot. I think that $1700 isn't too terrible of an offer. You could probably hold out for a while for a little more.

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
If you have others you can sell I'd sell them instead. If I ever owned a card with something like that from the babe, it would stay with me forever. You could pass that piece of history down to your children and their children, etc.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
blanning71 said:
parsetdx said:
P_Manning 18 said:
blanning71 said:

When did this happen? I swear I could have sworn I saw him at Walmart the other night picking up some golfballs and fishing line.
Pretty sure he is slated to do a book signing tour on his autobiography, due out in the next couple of months.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The cards will go up if fewer come up for sale because they are being stashed away in private collections. Collectors will be willing to shell out higher amounts for the card because they realize the opportunity to own the card rarely comes around. It comes down to simple supply and demand paired with a bit of psychology.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Topnotchsy said:
blanning71 said:
parsetdx said:
P_Manning 18 said:
blanning71 said:

Pretty sure he is slated to do a book signing tour on his autobiography, due out in the next couple of months.
You should take it to the signing man!
Get that Jumbo swatch signed. It would DEFINITELY increase in value then!!

Oh, while you are there, tell him I love his candy bar!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Russ S. said:
Topnotchsy said:
blanning71 said:
parsetdx said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":221lh4zf]
blanning71 said:

You should take it to the signing man!
Get that Jumbo swatch signed. It would DEFINITELY increase in value then!!

Oh, while you are there, tell him I love his candy bar![/quote:221lh4zf]
You don't think a card like this is more like a gold refractor? I think I'd rather get something else signed. Anyways, I hear he never signs his whole name, just "Babe" Ruth. Athletes these days... he thinks his time is worth so much.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I doubt any more cards like that will be made. And I'm no expert in this area, but I doubt cards like that change hands every week. So what would make the value go up? Refusing to sell for less than the price you want would be a big factor. Eventually you'll find a buyer at the price you want, or the market will definitely move one way or the other. Either way, if you need the money, sell for the best price you can get and don't worry about money theoretically left on some future table.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
smapdi said:
I doubt any more cards like that will be made. And I'm no expert in this area, but I doubt cards like that change hands every week. So what would make the value go up? Refusing to sell for less than the price you want would be a big factor. Eventually you'll find a buyer at the price you want, or the market will definitely move one way or the other. Either way, if you need the money, sell for the best price you can get and don't worry about money theoretically left on some future table.
That is probably the direction I will go in, though I guess the decision I'll have to make is whether to move other cards instead.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Topnotchsy said:
As I need to put together some funds in the next few weeks, there is a good chance I will have to move this card. I've had an offer which IMO is a bit below market value in cash ($1700) which I may end up accepting if I do not get a better offer.

My question is simple. Obviously if the card goes down or stays the same price I will not mind having sold. If it goes up a decent amount I'll probably be a little disappointed since there are plenty of other cards I can move instead. The card used to be $3000 or so, so I know the current price is not necessarily it's ceiling.

So my question is, what are some reasons this might go up in value?

2005 Playoff Absolute Babe Ruth Reverse Negative Jumbo Jersey /24.