Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why some COMC Sellers drive me absolutely up the freaking wall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So, I went onto COMC last night, hunting for a specific player. I loaded up $120 into my account and started to make offers.

A particular seller had 6 of the base chrome autos I wanted, ranging from $7.25-$9.00. So I grouped all of together and offered $30. So, of course, this is where the seller really pisses me off.

The seller then goes and JACKS UP THE PRICE on each of these cards. Really? So I went in and re-offered at $6.00 per which I believe is more than fair. Declined.

So, for craps and giggles, I do the same with their refractor autographs of the same player. Yep, same freaking thing, jacked up the prices on them as well after I offered.

He has done this junk to me before, I have learned my lesson and WILL NOT be offering on any of his items ever again

Seller name - Scottsautograph

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I've generally had the same experience. I'm kind of stingy as a seller at times if its something of someone I think will move up soon, but that kind of thing is foolish.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
It goes without saying that cost is based on demand - he saw what he thought was increased demand and so increased cost.

I'm glad you don't have to buy from him though.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
skrip, no offense, but maybe he's pissed at buyers like you who offer at least $13.50 under his minimum value on the cards? moreover, he prob realized that in order to get his minimum, he needed to raise the prices, because if he is honest and asks for that directly, he will get low-balled and he knows he won't have a deal. you know that's how buyers are, so he prob just figured out what it takes to get what he wants out of them. why get bent out of shape about it?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I've found that with prospects, once you make an offer on a lot of one player...the seller immediately thinks you know some he/she doesn't and therefore spikes the price.

It's forced me to pay more at the time than I wanted, but still less in the long run.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
I run into that all the time on COMC. It's what makes me wish you could message sellers. Last night, I offered on a card that the seller had priced at $125. I offered $85 initially. That may be low-ball to some, but I thought it was at least a good starting point. I was willing to go $100-$105 on the card. Well, the seller countered at $120, to which I countered at $95. He then rejected my offer with no counter and jacked the price up to $150.

It's as if a lot of the sellers on COMC are like, "Oh, this card has been sitting here forever, but now someone wants it. That must mean 20 other people want it as well, so I had better jack the price up!"

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
skrip, no offense, but maybe he's pissed at buyers like you who offer at least $13.50 under his minimum value on the cards? moreover, he prob realized that in order to get his minimum, he needed to raise the prices, because if he is honest and asks for that directly, he will get low-balled and he knows he won't have a deal. you know that's how buyers are, so he prob just figured out what it takes to get what he wants out of them. why get bent out of shape about it?

I get where you are coming from, but these are cards that are selling for $3-4 on ebay. So my initial offer of $5 was far from low balling or a slap in face type offer. What I don't get is this, why not counter? Why not counter me with what you really want and go from there? Also, I offered the same prices to other sellers who gladly accepeted me "fair" offer.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I get where you are coming from, but these are cards that are selling for $3-4 on ebay. So my initial offer of $5 was far from low balling or a slap in face type offer. What I don't get is this, why not counter? Why not counter me with what you really want and go from there? Also, I offered the same prices to other sellers who gladly accepeted me "fair" offer.

He's probably not countering because he knows his minimum he wants from them. That's all. That minimum was apparently posted. Perhaps there are other reasons as well.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I can't believe i've never looked on COMC before I read this thread....this is AWESOME. I can buy all the Michael Burgess and Kevin Keyes cards I can ever want now instead of waiting a couple months before one pops up on eBay!!!!! Also should be able to get the last 19 cards for my 12 Draft Ref set fairly cheap.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I have found that COMC is not for me. So I don't have these problems

But I have heard of this same thing that happened to you Matt many times before

Sent from my Desire HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
there is an auto on there I want..seller is on Blowout and I had messaged him on there about working a deal.. he's got it about $40 over the Ebay past sale values and is just basically holding it hostage. I offered a bit more than Ive paid for other versions of the card and he said he'd rather keep it than sell for that. Sometimes I just don't understand that logic....

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I have found that COMC is not for me. So I don't have these problems

But I have heard of this same thing that happened to you Matt many times before

Sent from my Desire HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yeah, very frustrating. There are days where COMC is my favorite place to buy cards, and days like now where I wonder why I even go back.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Yeah, very frustrating. There are days where COMC is my favorite place to buy cards, and days like now where I wonder why I even go back.

Because, you know not all sellers act like the ones you have encounter from time to time. And deals can be had over the likes of eBay sometimes too.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
there is an auto on there I want..seller is on Blowout and I had messaged him on there about working a deal.. he's got it about $40 over the Ebay past sale values and is just basically holding it hostage. I offered a bit more than Ive paid for other versions of the card and he said he'd rather keep it than sell for that. Sometimes I just don't understand that logic....

Paul
It would appear he is going to keep it then. Glad you just moved on.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Thats happened to me before as well. Made an offer, got declined and the price jumped.

I dont sell on COMC, but I know that some sellers have a minimum offer you can put in. Some at half asking cost, some just ten percent. If people are gonna get butthurt by offers, then why dont they set it up so you cant offer less than what they are willing to take? If the seller wont go less than ten percent, why waste time allowing 50% offers to come in?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
So, I went onto COMC last night, hunting for a specific player. I loaded up $120 into my account and started to make offers.

A particular seller had 6 of the base chrome autos I wanted, ranging from $7.25-$9.00. So I grouped all of together and offered $30. So, of course, this is where the seller really pisses me off.

The seller then goes and JACKS UP THE PRICE on each of these cards. Really? So I went in and re-offered at $6.00 per which I believe is more than fair. Declined.

So, for craps and giggles, I do the same with their refractor autographs of the same player. Yep, same freaking thing, jacked up the prices on them as well after I offered.

He has done this junk to me before, I have learned my lesson and WILL NOT be offering on any of his items ever again

Seller name - Scottsautograph

That mother ducker did the same damn thing to me!!!!!!!!! Never buying from him!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Paul
It would appear he is going to keep it then. Glad you just moved on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Which begs the question, why put stuff there to sell if one doesn't want to sell it?

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Thats happened to me before as well. Made an offer, got declined and the price jumped.

I dont sell on COMC, but I know that some sellers have a minimum offer you can put in. Some at half asking cost, some just ten percent. If people are gonna get butthurt by offers, then why dont they set it up so you cant offer less than what they are willing to take? If the seller wont go less than ten percent, why waste time allowing 50% offers to come in?

Problem is you can not set the offer minimum by card. It is a minimum for everything up for sale. Makes it hard as a seller because some items you might be willing to haggle on, but others you may be firm on.

As a seller on COMC I have done this before. Not on fair offers, but on low ball offers. There are so many buyers who offer me .36 on a card I am asking .40 for. Drives me crazy.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It goes without saying that cost is based on demand - he saw what he thought was increased demand and so increased cost.

I'm glad you don't have to buy from him though.

Except that this is SUPER-illegal in any other marketplace on earth. Think about it. You can't walk into Foot Locker for a pair of Jordans and when you get to the desk they say, "Well, there's four people in line behind you that want these too, I think I'm going to charge you 20% more." If this was applied to oil gasoline would be $10.00/gallon.

I hope this ass-hat is at least incurring fees for this.

Members online