Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will eBay ever let sellers leave neg feedback???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Plus I think I goes without saying on high end cards, BIN/BO is the way to go to help avoid non payers.

This. I sell almost entirely with the BIN/BO, so I have had very few instances of NPB. Even with volatile stuff, if you go with the BIN/BO route, you seem to get more "legitimate" buyers

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Ebay allowing sellers to leave negative feedback on buyers would not be good for business. It'll never happen (again).

Allen

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I think they need to have one or the other. Either allow sellers to leave negative feedback for those that don't follow through or ebay should give it's NPB "program" some teeth so that it actually means something.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I'm getting sick of non payments, seems like 3 of 10 sales goes unpaid and I'm over it. Why can't sellers leave negative feedback??? They need to change it to 2 non pays = 6 month ban 3 and your done for good

My last batch of 75 auctions had 9, repeat, 9 non-payers. I am freaking tired of it. I always block the clowns, but it never ends. Ebay needs to re-examine this asap.

Skrip

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I also believe that if you make good on your end as a seller and en up issuing a refund, buyers are automatically declined to leave any kind of feedback.

Earlier this year, I sold a few items and one never made it to the buyer. It was a $10 item and I was in a hurry unfortunately and didn't use tracking. So naturally I told the buyer that I would refund the money, no questions asked. I no sooner refunded the money back to their PayPal account and a day later received a negative that the item never arrived, etc.

I did enter my "response" to the feedback, that I offered AND provided a refund, but I doubt buyers look that far.

I hate eBay.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
My last batch of 75 auctions had 9, repeat, 9 non-payers. I am freaking tired of it. I always block the clowns, but it never ends. Ebay needs to re-examine this asap.

Skrip

Skrip, so you are doing that Rip Kings thing too? I got a biz card from Chalkdust when he sent me a few cards I bought from him last week with that on it.

Last edited:

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Part of the problem is that card buyers/sellers are all just fickle, unpleasant people. I ran into very, very few issues selling autographs compared to selling cards, and I've heard that, outside of electronics, this is the norm on eBay. Maybe you guys just need to chill out a little bit

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
The above, isn't the reason why. It was a company change of direction to become more buyer friendly. They were losing buyers to other sites. They decided to become buyer friendly to bring more traffic to ebay. They felt sellers rating buyers, and hurting buyer reps and causing accts to be canceled, was causing many buyers to leave ebay. So, they stopped the seller on buyer feedback, to prevent this. They believe if they are known as buyer friendly, they will always have buyers. If they always have buyers, they will always have sellers. If they always have both, they will always make profit. It's all pretty easy. I know all this from having several conversations with a few people at ebay who are either family or friends. I can't remember if it was amazon or some other site, but at the time, ebay was a little seller friendly and losing business to the other site/sites, they decided to go in the direction of the other site. These are the exact words I was told.

Not sure why you state my reasoning isn't the reason why.
What I stated pretty much goes along with everything else you typed.
It should go without saying that finding buyers has always been tougher than finding sellers.
David

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Part of the problem is that card buyers/sellers are all just fickle, unpleasant people. I ran into very, very few issues selling autographs compared to selling cards, and I've heard that, outside of electronics, this is the norm on eBay. Maybe you guys just need to chill out a little bit

Eh, I don't think fickle and NPB's go hand in hand. There's nothing fickle about bidding $2.63 on a 2008 Topps Chrome Matt Ryan then not paying. It's blatant disrespect and stupidity. It's falls under the category of " They can't neg me, so I'm deciding not to pay."

I've almost completely gotten away from selling highend stuff on eBay. I'll list my low-mid end stuff there, but anymore there's less hassle/same profit selling it here or blowout.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
I'm getting sick of non payments, seems like 3 of 10 sales goes unpaid and I'm over it. Why can't sellers leave negative feedback??? They need to change it to 2 non pays = 6 month ban 3 and your done for good

I am experiencing the same thing...Its extremely frustrating.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Eh, I don't think fickle and NPB's go hand in hand. There's nothing fickle about bidding $2.63 on a 2008 Topps Chrome Matt Ryan then not paying. It's blatant disrespect and stupidity. It's falls under the category of " They can't neg me, so I'm deciding not to pay."

I've almost completely gotten away from selling highend stuff on eBay. I'll list my low-mid end stuff there, but anymore there's less hassle/same profit selling it here or blowout.

eBay always produces more profit IMO. No one on FBC is buying high when it comes to flipping prospects. Doubt that one guys Luck super would have pulled $11k on Fcb or blowout.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
eBay always produces more profit IMO. No one on FBC is buying high when it comes to flipping prospects. Doubt that one guys Luck super would have pulled $11k on Fcb or blowout.

I've never had a problem flipping Chrome autos on scf/fcb/Bo when prices spike. I can generally get going eBay rate and avoid the hassle. It's simply a matter if standing your ground and not letting people haggle you down. Whenever someone wants the 10% FVF discount, I simply tell em that's fine but I'll be inclined to charge average eBay shipping on the card. That usually gets a touche' and they take my original price.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS

That said, I learned a long time ago not to dabble in cards that sell for over $300, unless my initial buy in is DIRT cheap.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009

No, fickle and NPB don't go hand-in-hand, nor was I saying they do. NPBs are unavoidable, period. There's no accountability on the Internet in general, and you're never gonna not have them. That said, I had much less selling autographs than I did cards. And, honestly, is it that inconvenient having to wait a week to relist if it's not paid for? Yes, obviously on something on a sudden up-swing, it is, but otherwise its just whining because you have to go through the trouble of clicking a mouse 3 times and relisting it.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I've never had a problem flipping Chrome autos on scf/fcb/Bo when prices spike. I can generally get going eBay rate and avoid the hassle. It's simply a matter if standing your ground and not letting people haggle you down. Whenever someone wants the 10% FVF discount, I simply tell em that's fine but I'll be inclined to charge average eBay shipping on the card. That usually gets a touche' and they take my original price.

That's an interesting point about haggling over the FVF. My perspective is if you're willing to pay X dollars on eBay you're willing to pay that amount anywhere else on-line. I may be in the extreme minority but I don't think anyone says they will pay $10 more for a $100 card on eBay because the seller has to give eBay a cut.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
That's an interesting point about haggling over the FVF. My perspective is if you're willing to pay X dollars on eBay you're willing to pay that amount anywhere else on-line. I may be in the extreme minority but I don't think anyone says they will pay $10 more for a $100 card on eBay because the seller has to give eBay a cut.

I completely agree, but that argument doesn't work as well as the shipping one. Plus, they don't even care that some of us don't even pay 10%

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
To me selling on FCB is a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. I'll cut you a bit of a deal because you are saving me some money on the FVFs. To me, demanding going rate is a bit of a dick move. To each his own I guess.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
To me selling on FCB is a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. I'll cut you a bit of a deal because you are saving me some money on the FVFs. To me, demanding going rate is a bit of a dick move. To each his own I guess.

In all reality, I've given away a POY more than I've sold here. Backs have been scratched. That said, if you go through my feedback and ask my buyers what kind of deal they got, they'd tell you it was a good one.

My statement was more towards blowout, where I have no problem throwing the "Dick move" out, because most of them use it three or four time per negotiation.

I get your point, I don't think I made mine correctly.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Just so you know I wasn't trying to say you were a dick by any means. This is a great board and everyone generally seems to want to help out each other more than anything.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The whole FB system is stupid. If it was just a small group of people using it and the bad actors could easily be outed, it's fine. With millions of users around the world, it doesn't work. And the whole 'neutral' thing is just silly.

I spent some time talking to a guy about creating a new auction site and these were some rough parameters but if ebay was to use them it would be OK with me. Transparency in the whole process would be more useful, and if some sort of score should be attached to people's accounts, it should be objective.

For instance, since you can pretty much only pay through Paypal now, the system could know exactly when payment was made, and there could be a score showing the average amount of time it takes to make payment after the end of an auction. Pay within 24 hours, you get a 10. Within 24-48 hours, you get a 9. 48-72 hours, a 7, and so on, and non-payments are tracked automatically and too many of those gets you booted. That is really all buyers care about. And allow buyers to set requirements on their auctions, so you can't bid if your payment score is under 8.0 or whatever. Then require payment accounts to be tied to specific paypal accounts upon registration and don't allow them on if they've already been shut down under one account, so you can't have jackasses creating accounts to stalk sellers/products and thrill-bid.

For sellers, it's trickier, but doable. Buyers want to know they'll get what they paid for promptly, so you have to use online DC and access it through ebay's system. While some people mark things as shipped immediately upon payment, even if it's midnight on a Sunday, the system would be smarter than that. It would record things as being shipped only during business hours or the next business day if not. That would be step one. Step two is to actually run the tracking info and once there's an actual record in the USPS system, and that's the shipping score you get. Beyond that, there are more questions about packaging, condition of the item compared to description, etc., that might require subjective feedback, but that could all be worked out.

Members online

Latest posts