Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

will Markakis be an (ELITE) hitter or not

Will Markakis be Elite??????

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
In my opinion this year is a make a break year for Markakis. If he makes it I think he will be in an all star class. If he breaks he will always be the 290 hitter with 15-23 home runs he has been.

Thanks,
Please leave your comments!

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Very good player, but may have only one or two superstar seasons - his potential maybe maxed out.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
He's coming into his prime years I would think, so we'll see. Either way, few teams out there would be unhappy with his current level of production. One thing is certain, he hasn't ever shown signs of being "elite."

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I would pick Longoria if you are just looking for any good potential new player collection?

Markakis will be 28 next season, and he had a very good 2008 season, but not much since.

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
I feel like this has been a topic of conversation ever since 03 Draft came out.

The fact is he's been in the league for 5 years and hasn't shown any signs of being an elite hitter. A solid 2, 5, or 6 hitter maybe. But I'd be very surprised if all of a sudden he flipped a switch and "got it".

2011 will be his age 27 season, though. And quite a few people seem to think that age 27 starts your prime years. However 2009 and 2010 were his worst two years as a professional. If a player is entering his prime I like to see his numbers on the upswing not devolving like Markakis' numbers the past two years.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Don't see him ever being an Elite player.

But IF the O's young pitchers are as good as advertised down the road, they won't need Elite players, just good, solid guys like him and Roberts, etc. that can score enough runs to win with a Low ERA staff.

And, not really related, I still think Wieters will be an Elite, perennial All-Star catcher.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I think his team played a part in regards to his low production numbers.

He had 60 extra base hits and a very nice K/BB ratio in 160 games. He is a way above avg player, that is very serviceable, and would start as a fan favorite on any team in MLB.

I guess if he lowered his avg. By .044 And doubled his strikeouts he might be able to have 30 HR's and 100 RBI (if someone else was ever on base) for the Orioles and then folks would talk about how great he is...

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
hoopster3977 said:
He'll just be a good journeyman outfielder, and if lucky, solid role player.

Nothing to get excited about.

I just rolled my eyes and I think they are stuck.

Your opinion is terrible.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Elite? No. It looked like he might but he has leveled off. But an .830 OPS with solid RF defense is a player a lot of teams would like to have.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The Orioles have been open to adding payroll which probably means a higher profile player than Markakis. This will probably happen next offseason. He would need to have a huge year to overshadow the star-power they would probably sign. Therefor he would probably be the second-fiddle on offense and that's if Wieters remains stagnant.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
The Orioles have been open to adding payroll which probably means a higher profile player than Markakis. This will probably happen next offseason. He would need to have a huge year to overshadow the star-power they would probably sign. Therefor he would probably be the second-fiddle on offense and that's if Wieters remains stagnant.

The answer appears on the 1st page of this thread.

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
No, he will never be elite, he's a nobody. Please trade him to the Mets immediately.

Oh wait, the Mets have no money, Bernie Madoff took it all. Anyway....

<Begin Jedi Mind Trick Here>
Please drop all his cards right now, especially low numbered parallels, BCDP golds, and any insane patches you might be hoarding in the hopes that he'll "make it". I like logomen and bat barrels too.
<End Jedi Mind Trick Here>

This is not the thread you are looking for
starwarscap33ff1-730837.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
starwarsfan2003 said:
No, he will never be elite, he's a nobody. Please trade him to the Mets immediately.

Oh wait, the Mets have no money, Bernie Madoff took it all. Anyway....

<Begin Jedi Mind Trick Here>
Please drop all his cards right now, especially low numbered parallels, BCDP golds, and any insane patches you might be hoarding in the hopes that he'll "make it". I like logomen and bat barrels too.
<End Jedi Mind Trick Here>

This is not the thread you are looking for
starwarscap33ff1-730837.jpg

...........................and.............................................................

/thread

Members online

Latest posts