Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees to sign Kerry Wood? Seriously?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
colts1888 said:
this is a decent move by the yankees no harm no foul done by brining in Wood
poppudaimadochi said:
yep, it was all over 1050 ESPN NY... at best it's a 2 months rental, adding depth to the bullpen
sdsportsfan1214 said:
Wood isnt worth a bag of peanuts.. surprised the Yanks would even be willing to take a chance on him
Woods Will be hurt in a week's time and on the DL for the rest of the season. Time for him to just retire

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
It's not a signing.

It's a trade. And a decent, depth trade at that.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Wow, Wood has a 10M per contract. The Yankees are all about paying a lot of money right now. I mean, I guess it makes sense as every win after 90 ends up costing a lot but Jesus. If the Yankees don't win the World Series this year, that's going to be a tonne of money flushed down the toilet.

TRmatt20

Jul 4, 2010
pigskincardboard said:
Wow, Wood has a 10M per contract. The Yankees are all about paying a lot of money right now. I mean, I guess it makes sense as every win after 90 ends up costing a lot but Jesus. If the Yankees don't win the World Series this year, that's going to be a tonne of money flushed down the toilet.

the Yanks are paying at most 1.7 million for Kerry Wood's services, only 1.5 to start with

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Just got this from yankees.com..

The 33-year-old righty has a 6.30 ERA, 8.1 K/9, and 5.0 BB/9 on the season in 20 innings. (Mark Duncan/AP)
July 31, 2010

YANKEES ACQUIRE RHP KERRY WOOD
The Yankees made one final move to upgrade their bullpen before the Trade Deadline, acquiring right-hander Kerry Wood from the Indians for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
pigskincardboard said:

yanks only paying 2 million rest picked up by cleveland according to john heyman.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
joey12508 said:
schillingfan said:
Here go the Yankees trying to buy their championship again. :lol:

its a trade

Okay, let's see what the Indians get back. I'm not saying one thing or the other but I definitely think it's possible to *buy* a championship with trades.

If you look at the trade and it's uneven based on production, but makes sense considering salaries, you could definitely consider that buying. If someone's going to say that signing the best players in free agency is buying a championship, then you can definitely say that eating contracts is also buying a championship.

I think it's pretty silly to think that a team can't buy a championship because they acquired players via a trade rather than free agency.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
pigskincardboard said:
joey12508 said:
schillingfan said:

its a trade

Okay, let's see what the Indians get back. I'm not saying one thing or the other but I definitely think it's possible to *buy* a championship with trades.

If you look at the trade and it's uneven based on production, but makes sense considering salaries, you could definitely consider that buying. If someone's going to say that signing the best players in free agency is buying a championship, then you can definitely say that eating contracts is also buying a championship.

I think it's pretty silly to think that a team can't buy a championship because they acquired players via a trade rather than free agency.

images.jpg

yanksno1

Jul 10, 2010
Florida
All of this 'buy championships' stuff is just sour grapes. If they bought their championships they wouldn't have lost from 2001-2009. They had the highest payroll, by far, in every single one of those seasons. The game is won on the field and not in the front office or with a checkbook.

That said, I'm concerned they have made too many moves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, releasing Chan Ho Park was a GREAT move.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
pigskincardboard said:
joey12508 said:
schillingfan said:

its a trade

Thank you for saying what I didn't have the patience to write out. There's just no point in trying to reason with them.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
yanksno1 said:
All of this 'buy championships' stuff is just sour grapes. If they bought their championships they wouldn't have lost from 2001-2009. They had the highest payroll, by far, in every single one of those seasons. The game is won on the field and not in the front office or with a checkbook.

That said, I'm concerned they have made too many moves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, releasing Chan Ho Park was a GREAT move.

I have to disagree with the bolded statements.

Members online

Latest posts