Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your favorite modern set ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've always been partial to the 1984 Donruss set, perhaps because it was the bees knees durring my hay day of collecting. More recently, I really enjoy the diversity of the A&G offerings, and am smitten by the beauty of 2011 LEAF Valiant cards.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
5266075279_185e25451d.jpg

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
matfanofold said:
I've always been partial to the 1984 Donruss set, perhaps because it was the bees knees durring my hay day of collecting. More recently, I really enjoy the diversity of the A&G offerings, and am smitten by the beauty of 2011 LEAF Valiant cards.
You'll love 1998 Donruss Crusade then.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
1992 Topps. Simple design on the front that let the photos do the talking and great backs featuring panoramic stadium shots.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
The vintage-modern line is always interesting. Personally, I view anything prior to 1977 as vintage and anything 1977 and newer as modern. With that in mind, I'd pick 1984 Topps as my favorite set with 1982 as a runner up. For "really modern" I'd pick the 2005 UD Heroes set. Beautiful cards, great on-card autos and a great looking rainbow of colors when put side-by-side. I'm pretty close to finishing off the Will Clark set. Check it out here, if you're interested...

http://www.thrill22.com/Albums/2005/album/index.html

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
ChasHawk said:
matfanofold said:
You'll love 1998 Donruss Crusade then.

I am a fan of them as well, but they are simply out of my price range. Having said that, I love Valiant due to it's content (on card autographs and prospects) that were lacking in the original crusades. Also, and I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I find the Valiant offering simply more attractive, perhaps due to the above said attributes. I also find the pricepoint incredibly nice!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1985 Topps is the most sentimental to me.
It was the year I started collecting, and the first set I built from packs and trading with friends.
Next was the '85 Fleer set.
Those days were so fun.

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
Sam Banks said:
Here's mine.

2003 Upper Deck 40 Man.

Loved these cards. The base cards were amazing, the glossiness and clean look to them. The inserts were pretty boss as well.

Love all of the colors, and the autographs looked very clean and nice as well.

Scans really don't do these cards justice.

The photography was great as well.

Wide array of cards from the set here....

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVS ... tweuuMnQBg

img299.jpg

nomartop40.jpg

e9682d29-df26-456c-85da-383c2a1a698a.jpg

renteria03ud40man.jpg

All of those above are all just examples.

This one is actually a PC favorite of mine.

ankiel10.jpg

Runner up for me is 2001 Donruss Studio.

This is also a part of my PC.

RickAnkiel1.jpg

hmm, that Griffey auto looks familiar :)

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
1999 & 2000 Skybox Autographics.

Very clean card design, nice photographs. At the time the sets were made it had the stars at that time with ON-CARD autos:

Cal Ripken Jr - Randy Johnson - Derek Jeter - Greg Maddux - Pedro Martinez - Roberto Alomar - Juan Gonzalez - Tom Glavine - Tony Gwynn - Alex Rodriguez - Curt Schilling - Wade Boggs - Barry Bonds - Todd Helton - Jimmy Rollins - Frank Thomas.

More if you want to reach into 2001 Autographics.

nikateen

Aug 7, 2008
1999 sp signature edition got me into collecting.

Both baseball and football releases were fantastic.

Members online

Latest posts