Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does the hobby "need"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Kids don't matter, this is a high end/high profit hobby. The card companies don't care about kids, they don't have the funds to make them money. They are fine loading up 100 dollar packs with 20 dollars in product and selling that to adults. Period.

Sadly this is true. For as much as Topps and MLB say it's about getting kids back into the hobby, that's crap. Topps continues to "add value" to products (new inserts, new parallels, etc.) ... you really think a 10 year old cares about "added value" in a product? Nope. More added value equals higher priced cards.

As for Leaf and Panini, well, I'm not a fan of unlicensed stuff because cards without logos and a jersey and hat/helmet being completely airbrushed just looks dumb and boring (in my opinion). Also, buying back a bunch of graded cards and packaging them out, meh. That's hardly innovative.

If Leaf wants to do something with buybacks, do a "Recollection Collection" type set. Buyback old UD or Topps or Donruss cards and get them signed and put together a product like that. Hell, you don't even need high-end retired players for something like that. I can think of tons of old Mariners players I'd love autographs from that probably wouldn't cost much (Langston, Presley, P. Bradley, S. Bradley, etc.) I think the Recollection Collection set was one of the best things of the last 10 years.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Summed up in one word: Xbox...

Topps, [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION], Upper Deck or whomever is never going to be able to compete with the video game market, ever.
The kids are out. We are going to have to live with that.
I'd be willing to bet 1950 of those kids had some sort of video game system at home!!

They could of they had a skylanders sort of game where you had to buy cases to unlock players, similar to the skylander toys.wouldn't have to be those McFarlanelike nerd Hummels, but a card with the chip in it. similar to codes but could be something cooler looking than a string of numbers and letters

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The hobby will be a far better place when REAL dealers are the only people who spend most of their "hobby time" selling cards or thinking about selling cards.

Anyone who intends to spend more than $5 on a card needs to understand when cards are most expensive and when they're least expensive.

The hobby needs to not only understand but appreciate the fact that 'prospect' generally means minor league - even if the player on the card doesn't look like a minor league player.

The hobby needs to understand and appreciate that cards are simple things and are not generally prone to "innovation", whatever that means.

The hobby needs to understand that if base becomes irrelevant that soon other types of cards will become irrelevant as well. Frankly base is what its all about.

The hobby needs people with good life balance... and far fewer people complaining about the hobby all the time. Cards themselves are fine the way they are and have never been better.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
1. Competition
2. Less redemptions
3. High end inserts cataloged online to help fight fakers, etc.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I totally disagree with the base cards being irrelevant and 'non-exciting' are all on the collector's / card companies backs. They should be made the focal point again, for the base sets, where kids would have fun putting it together and thus get them hooked on collecting cards. Add 'a few' SP variations for the seasoned collectors, so that they aren't doing what folks did w/the '92 Fleer Cello packs and just looking for the blue border, thus notifying them they hit a Rookie Sensation card.

I wish inserts would be creatively made and would be 'inserted' to make them feel special when pulled. A 1:288 pulled insert is always a great feeling to get and not only of the late '90's stuff. If more companies did this, showed genuine creativity, not just a simple die-cut, it would catch on.

Card companies need to get more people involved. I know I've seen others on here post this before, whenever this type of topic comes about, but I wanna see more "You Crash the Game" or "Predictor" cards that can be redeemed, not only on the internet, but through the MAIL so that all collector's, potential ones or folks that have been around for decades, have the exact same enthusiasm for these chase cards. Make these redemption sets different though, according to the player on the card or his position or team (the Stadium Club cards that I'm drawing a blank on. Super Team may've been the set). Make them individual to EACH redemption, so it isn't just a hodge podge of the same generic card, generic photo ...

Which leads me to switching up the photo's on cards. I'm sure Topps or Panini or UD doesn't send ONE photographer to ONE game featuring the players they're looking for in their sets and they are limited to one shot of each player. I've seen the SAME Josh Johnson photo's for years now. Is there nothing else he does but wind up or look into home plate ? How about coming off the field after a great performance ? How about him crossing home plate after hitting a 3 run HR vs. Milwaukee in '09 or '10 ? How about just talking with a coach during a tense moment during the game ? ANYTHING different. Is there NO creativity, photographically, with the representatives from the major card companies. Even if they don't have a license ...

Panini / Leaf, have innovative sets that'll draw folks in. Or, again, photography. I am a fan of Leaf and what they've done without a license, but with Panini and their Limited series, I thought the photos were terrible, the poses were awful and reminded NOT A ONE collector of the old Studio stuff, that I and other collectors are such big fans of, to this day. Even the first release of Topps Stadium Club had awesome, non in-game photos. How hard is it to get the athlete, who's already signed with you and is going to be in a photo shoot, to get them in an interesting pose, perhaps doing their favorite off the field activity (i.e. reading, camping, fishing, cooking).

Game used NEED to be verified as GAME USED. No 'event-worn' garbage. This goes for the Rookie Photo Shoot too. Don't pump out sooooooo many un-numbered generic relics that are better off used as a napkin that's been sewn together. Make auto's / game worn stuff actually difficult to get and that'll boost the value and the secondary market will see a benefit as well, as the demand will outweigh the supply.

I certainly hope I'm not the only person who thinks this way, as, if I am, this hobby is in trouble.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the problem is that the companies know people will pay high dollar amounts for wax. Unless that stops, none of this crap stops. The prices of wax almost necessitate a buyer selling whatever he busts. Honestly, how many of us even bust very much wax for our collections? Very few. Because it costs too much to do it. Which means you pretty much need to be selling. The reason it's a losing game is because even when you do sell, you're going to lose money on a lot of what you bust. Right there, both collectors and flippers lose as far as wax goes. Wouldn't it be smart to just stop busting wax until companies get their crap together to better fit our wants and needs?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(Base cards) should be made the focal point again, for the base sets, where kids would have fun putting it together and thus get them hooked on collecting cards.
I agree 100%.
I started collecting as a kid in the '80s, and all my friends built sets and traded for the cards we needed. Sure we collected stars and rookies too, and that's what made it a balanced hobby.
The key word: hobby.
We need cheaper packs. Kids don't buy $10 packs. And when they do and spend all their allowance on one pack, and get nothing of value inside, they never buy anymore cards.

All that the majority of members on this board and everywhere else seem to care about nowadays is how much their cards are worth, and which of their prospects will made them money on eBay.
Nothing wrong with making some money. Nothing wrong with prospecting. But when it makes up the majority of "collectors'" mindset these days, this hobby is dying a slow death.
Again, nothing wrong with making money in this hobby. But it's sad that so few baseball fans are truly collectors, who actually like to look at their cards and read the backs, without dollar signs in their eyes.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
Picture proof of the items & signers.

Topps Total type set with deeper checklists & color variations with low price.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Hobby also needs more kids & $50-$500 packs doesn't do it.

Nearly 40% of topps baseball products fall into the above span.

I love "shark tank" on abc (where entrepreneurs pitch products to investors) & the one thing the investors always mention is they don't want to put their $ into something which alienates or cuts off a large amount of people automatically.

Well thats what topps does constantly year after year.

Forty percent of their products are $50-$500 packs!

If you hate retro, too bad. Same for prospect loaded products, sol! These two niches dominate the remaining card lines.

So whats left? Lowest of the low end (4 lines) & topps chrome, the closest product which relates to the masses (& the autos are nearly always rookies).

Gone are the days of "mass appeal", budget friendly products like leaf ($4 srp), donruss, champions, stadium club, base ud, sp authentic, elite (not eee), certified, ultra, etc etc!

Granted, in their original forms, the above can't come back due to licensing etc but no reason similar versions cant be made.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
No more confusion over RC. Minor league only until they make the major league roster. Then true RC would have value.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
RC has lost its meaning, people are paying more for 2013 bc shelby miller base autos than his 2010 base autos i am assuming because they think its his "rc".

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Less parallel variations.......one refractor insert and maybe a 1/1 is enough. make serial numbers worth something again.

Some passion and some give a XXXX. From the manufacturers and the customers. The hobby needs to be romanticized like it was when we were kids. It's turned into a dick measuring contest that is won by the guy with the most money or the most available credit.

Companies, If you make a product act like you care. Don't deliver damaged cards, be short on autos, and use photos with of players with a lackluster pose or the same image 4 straight years. Then when you sell your product treat the consumers like they matter. Have a department that answers questions and shows the buyers they are valuable. And for the love of XXXX keep some products with the price point that a kid can buy with his allowance. How does a $25 pack enhance the hobby for the future?

And redemptions... Redemptions suck! The thinking behind them is not a flawed one. The execution is..

Buyers, buying a pack and throwing away the base is just XXXXing stupid. You don't have to keep them but give them to the store or a kid. Treat the cards with respect and those around you might follow suit. Maybe you can better someone else's hobby enjoyment and be better than everyone else in the building at once. Also stop XXXXing whining in the shop and on boards about how a break was bad because the hits weren't superstars. You look like an *******.

How many buyers read the cards? How many buyers look at the photos? Modern cards are like the Klondike gold rush. Everyone looking for the motherload. If your first instinct is to run to eBay or Beckett and check your perceived value then you're part of the problem. It's not a crack at flippers but next time you buy a box step back and look at your hit. Then think about the process it took to build that card from scratch. Enjoy the process and the product and believe me you can and will sell with conviction and confidence.

Lastly if it takes free stuff from a company or forum To give you enthusiasm about something you choose to do but cant enjoy yet you feign that excitement for an autographed tommy tingletits jersey.. You're a lowlife.

I'm old Greg

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The hobby needs fewer people who overemphasize and exaggerate the importance of first-year cards and RCs... mostly for reasons of profit. Cards of veterans are just as cool as any other.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Then you get less price spikes on players in the minors.

Who cares? Someone who is in this to sell. I know people like to sell and prospect but this is a hobby. You can't be getting mad when it's not easy for you to sell.

As far as I'm concerned...I like Bowman and I hate it. About the only reason I like it is you get the chance to get cards of guys who never made the majors. I actually had a handful of cards of a guy I met and went to school with. I had him sign them for me. That was neat. But other than that aspect, and the cool photographs they use on the cards sometimes, Bowman in and of itself is useless as far as a collector standpoint. And if they are going to have Bowman cards, they need to either do away with the RC logo or consider the first year cards that come out to be RC's. Why the holy hell that has changed is beyond ridiculous. It's why I hate Baseball RC collecting now. I can buy all the RC logo cards I want for cheap, which is nice, but they aren't real rookies. So even them existing, let alone me having any, is downright weird. And it's also why I gravitate more towards collecting football and basketball rookies. Because those are real rookies. There is none of this "prospect insert" crap and then 2 years later they have an official RC. It would be one thing if this was just a personal pet peeve. But I have yet to hear even one good reason for this change.

Obviously they'll never get rid of Bowman. It's too much of a cash cow for Topps. So why not just work with MLB and get this fixed.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Less Hobby Exclusive low end products (bowman draft)

Nothing should be hobby exclusive. It's already an added advantage they guarantee certain types of hits in hobby. A whole product shouldn't be exclusive. I'm also not fond of this direct to customer stuff Topps is doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts