Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name A Forgotten Once-Big Prospect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Brian dopirak paid for my ticket to Hawaii in February 2004

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think this thread proves that you shouldn't believe the hype machine.

Nah. It proves you have to make the hype machine work for you. Most all of the names here could've netted you a nice profit if you actually sold into the hype rather than acquiring. If you bought, say, Nomar Garciaparra's 92TTr card at $50 in 1997 or so on its way up, which was pretty high back in the late 90s for a base card, you could've cashed out a ton at $100. But if you bought at $100, you were hurting. It's always a tough call, and playing to sell at the top of the market is one of the hardest things. But just selling when profitable is never bad, or too difficult.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
What it shows is that you don't want to collect a prospect in the hope that your collection will be worth a lot of money.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using the FCB mobile app.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I wouldn't exactly call Alex Gordon forgotten.

According to fangraphs over the past 3 years Alex Gordon has been worth:
2011:6.6 WAR
2012:5.6 WAR
2013:3.3 WAR

Not to mention good offensive production with multiple gold gloves in LF since the he made the switch from 3b. Definitely not forgotten, just not a superstar.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

What exactly hasn't he done that people expected him to yet?

Win 40 games?

Strikeout 600 in a season?

Cy Young, MVP and Hank Aaron award winner?

Come on man, you're trying to stir the pot

Lets see here...3 years in the majors...one injury season...one AS game...28 wins...one complete game...no Cy Young...so far only pitched into the 8th inning TWICE in 50ish starts...and will be 26 in mid June...If he was going to be the best pitcher since Cy Young himself, then yes I expected a lot better stats

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Lets see here...3 years in the majors...one injury season...one AS game...28 wins...one complete game...no Cy Young...so far only pitched into the 8th inning TWICE in 50ish starts...and will be 26 in mid June...If he was going to be the best pitcher since Cy Young himself, then yes I expected a lot better stats

Your expectations were unrealistic then.

Strasburg, over the course of the past 4 years (to date) has a career 2.95 ERA and a .215 BAA. Despite his injury and a team that provides less than quality run support for him, he is still one of the premier pitchers in the league. I'm not sure how one can expect a 'lot better' than that and if you want to consider him a 'forgotten prospect' because he has not won a CY yet then that's on you but certainly does not belong in this thread.

Your expectations were unrealistic then.

Strasburg, over the course of the past 4 years (to date) has a career 2.95 ERA and a .215 BAA. Despite his injury and a team that provides less than quality run support for him, he is still one of the premier pitchers in the league. I'm not sure how one can expect a 'lot better' than that and if you want to consider him a 'forgotten prospect' because he has not won a CY yet then that's on you but certainly does not belong in this thread.

He was THE prospect to get, the #1 ranked prospect...billed as a future HOF by a lot of people...and in 4 years...he has 1 complete game...pitched into the 8th inning only TWICE...1 AS game...and only 29 wins...and yet he was the most amazing prospect ever?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
He was THE prospect to get, the #1 ranked prospect...billed as a future HOF by a lot of people...and in 4 years...he has 1 complete game...pitched into the 8th inning only TWICE...1 AS game...and only 29 wins...and yet he was the most amazing prospect ever?

You are throwing that "only pitched into the 8th inning twice" stat around quite a bit but you're not mentioning that many times were due to Washington's conservative handling/pitch limits. Not like he's been knocked out of the game in the 7th every time out. Whether you think he has or hasn't lived up to expectations is inconsequential. Point is the very fact you mentioned, that he has only pitched 3 seasons thus far, and is the ace of a rotation, proves he does not belong in this thread. Either that or "forgotten" and "once-big" have different meanings for you

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

I am not necessarily debating your acknowledgment that he has not lived up to the unrealistic hype some attributed to him, but rather pointing out that the theme of this thread is to list "a forgotten once big prospect' and certainly no one has forgotten Strasburg as he is one of the premier pitchers in MLB that has posted a sub .3 era and a low .215 BAA so far in his career despite injury and time off. I mean, lets be reasonable here, the guy only started like 17 games before being injured and having surgery. It's not at all a surprise they have been careful with his pitch count since coming back. The fact he was allowed to pitch a complete game this year, and hurling a shut out no less, is a testament to his talent and ability. If you think Wins and Complete games make or break a pitcher then you are simply living in the wrong decade. Look at meaningful numbers like era and such, here you will see that Strasburg is doing VERY well and making a comeback after a once career ending injury to reclaim his rightful place as one of the best young pitchers in the game.

Having said all of that, there is still no rational reason despite your best efforts to include Strasburg in a thread noting forgotten prospects.

Members online

Latest posts