Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves to build new stadium for 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Turner Field was not constructed for baseball, and has been in operation for baseball for 20 years.

Every game that the braves have there they are losing money because of a park that is difficult to get to.

Every game that the braves have there the city makes less money than they should because the surrounding area is a dump.

This move is not about the stadium. This move is to make more money. The money paid in by Cobb and the Braves to build this stadium is an investment to make more money.

Turner Field was not constructed for baseball, and has been in operation for baseball for 20 years.

Every game that the braves have there they are losing money because of a park that is difficult to get to.

Every game that the braves have there the city makes less money than they should because the surrounding area is a dump.

This move is not about the stadium. This move is to make more money. The money paid in by Cobb and the Braves to build this stadium is an investment to make more money.

1. WOW...A whole 20 years....

2. How about investing in the surrounding areas to make the stadium nicer?

3. How many money do you really need? My dad asked this question when Greg Jennings left the Packers for the Vikings "What can you do with 10 million that you cant do with 8?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008

Chris, no need to weigh in on biggiobrooks755 expert opinion being from wisconsin and you from the ATL

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

3. How many money do you really need? My dad asked this question when Greg Jennings left the Packers for the Vikings "What can you do with 10 million that you cant do with 8?

on point 2

This was the turner field project in a nut shell. 20 years later and the surrounding area has no change, this is with money to make it better. You cannot throw an attraction in an impoverished area and expect it to lift the area up. Business does not work that way... hell life does not work that way.

You saying "how many money" really cracked me up. Get an adult view on the world and business and then get back to me.

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012

Left out that the braves also begged the city to use imminent domain to make the surrounding areas nicer and they refused... This is the consequence to that

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
All I know is 90% of the callers all day on 92.9 were complaining about it. Jason Goff shot straight with everyone and said the area wasn't safe and simply wasn't a great area.

I live in Douglasville and will have to drive a little further to get to games in 2017. Honestly I don't care. I want to take my family to a place that I can feel safe walking out to my car as well as do some things before the game if we want.

Turner Field is nice but there is just nothing around it. People are complaining that Marta won't run to the new field either because Cobb County chose to go with a bus system. Lot of people complaining but I think it will be a much better experience in the long run.

And while tickets may go up, I'll still get mine from Stubhub for cheap. :). Parking will still be expensive anyway. I paid $40 to have some guy yell at me about having my car a couple inches off from where he wanted when I was at game 2 of the playoffs this year. The lot is so pitiful, you are lucky if you don't scrape the bottom of your car when you pull out...all for $40. Hopefully the new lots will at least be flat!

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
The only thing that sucks about this whole deal is the use of taxpayer money. Really surprised Cobb County of all places agreed to pony up that much money and I imagine the elected officials will get a lot of heat here. There is no excuse for the ongoing use of public funds to subsidize sports franchises - especially one that is absolutely flush with cash right now. It is fairly well established stadiums are horrible investments for municipalities.

All that said, I am very excited from a selfish standpoint and also for the Braves. Getting downtown for a weekday game is an absolute nightmare coming from the northern suburbs and really limited my attendance the past 10 years or so. Even the weekends are a wildcard. The new location won't be a picnic either from a traffic standpoint but it is not like there are better options from that perspective. Traffic is brutal in the metro area period. The upside here is you can often beat the traffic getting to the Cumberland area if you hit the road at 4 or so while the Connector was typically jammed regardless.

I am just in shock the City of Atlanta allowed this to happen. So many times over the years I have had the conversation about how great it would be for the team to be located close to its primary demographic but never would have believed the city would allow the team to slip through their corrupt fingers.

Just crossing my fingers that the development of the surrounding area comes to fruition and that the stadium design isn't the same vanilla, antiseptic experience as Turner and Gwinnett. Something like Pittsburgh or Philly would be amazing.

The only thing that sucks about this whole deal is the use of taxpayer money. Really surprised Cobb County of all places agreed to pony up that much money and I imagine the elected officials will get a lot of heat here. There is no excuse for the ongoing use of public funds to subsidize sports franchises - especially one that is absolutely flush with cash right now. It is fairly well established stadiums are horrible investments for municipalities.

All that said, I am very excited from a selfish standpoint and also for the Braves. Getting downtown for a weekday game is an absolute nightmare coming from the northern suburbs and really limited my attendance the past 10 years or so. Even the weekends are a wildcard. The new location won't be a picnic either from a traffic standpoint but it is not like there are better options from that perspective. Traffic is brutal in the metro area period. The upside here is you can often beat the traffic getting to the Cumberland area if you hit the road at 4 or so while the Connector was typically jammed regardless.

I am just in shock the City of Atlanta allowed this to happen. So many times over the years I have had the conversation about how great it would be for the team to be located close to its primary demographic but never would have believed the city would allow the team to slip through their corrupt fingers.

Just crossing my fingers that the development of the surrounding area comes to fruition and that the stadium design isn't the same vanilla, antiseptic experience as Turner and Gwinnett. Something like Pittsburgh or Philly would be amazing.

Why cant the Braves pay for their own damn stadium??!!

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS

On #3 I could buy more Ferrari's with 10 mil than I could 8 mil. Maybe a couple Bentley's and a Porsche.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

Latest posts