Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian Gray Sues the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Sorry, Brian, I'll just refer to him as Leaf dude for now on. In reference to gilmo's comment, contracts are broken all the time and there is either a clause in the contract that spells out what happens if it is broken or there is a statutory remedy. Obviously his money needs to be returned but he cannot force them to allow him to participate. That's the sour grapes part.

If a party is harmed by the broken contract and they can prove it, well it is not as simple as returning money and walking away from each other. If it was that easy we wouldnt need the extensive contract law we have on the books today. Go buy a car from a dealer and, after 7 days you decide you dont want it any more....well go ahead and try and return it and tear up your contract. It just isnt going to happen because the dealer has damages he can prove (miles on the car, etc) and will not rip up that contract.

Brian paid his cash to attend and the cash was accepted which means we have a contract. The contract is now broken and now Brian must show damages to prevail which he very well might be able to prove. But I suspect, based on what Brian said earlier that this is not all about not being invited to the summit and losing valuable business contacts. There are other parts of this suit that probably have more implications on the hobby than what meets the eye. I think Brian alluded to this fact previously. I believe there is more than meets the eye here.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

Freedom of association is the right to join or leave groups of a person's own choosing, and for the group to take collective action to pursue the interests of members. It is both an individual right and a collective right, guaranteed by all modern and democratic legal systems, including the United States Bill of Rights, article 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and international law, including articles 20 and 23 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and Conventions 87 and 98 of the International Labour Organization.

Freedom of association is primarily manifested through the right to join a trade union, free speech or debating societies, political parties, or any other club or association such as religious groups, fraternities or sports clubs.. It is closely linked with the freedom of assembly, particularly under the US Bill of Rights. More specifically the freedom of assembly is understood in a political context, although depending on the source (constitution, human rights instrument, etc.) the right to freedom of association may be understood to include the right to freedom of assembly.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Brian is a good guy.
Met him in person at the Sun Times show in 2012, walked around and BSed with him.
Brian is good for this industry, to keep him out of this "summit" is and will be hurtful to all collectors, now and the future.
Whether you want to believe it or not, Brian is a great voice for the "collector", Topps and Panini are a voice for the "investor". Choose who you are and want to be and then see whos corner you are in, Leaf or Topps/Panini/etc.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
sorry you had to make the long trip to look that up for S.D.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

Freedom of association is the right to join or leave groups of a person's own choosing, and for the group to take collective action to pursue the interests of members. It is both an individual right and a collective right, guaranteed by all modern and democratic legal systems, including the United States Bill of Rights, article 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and international law, including articles 20 and 23 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and Conventions 87 and 98 of the International Labour Organization.

Freedom of association is primarily manifested through the right to join a trade union, free speech or debating societies, political parties, or any other club or association such as religious groups, fraternities or sports clubs.. It is closely linked with the freedom of assembly, particularly under the US Bill of Rights. More specifically the freedom of assembly is understood in a political context, although depending on the source (constitution, human rights instrument, etc.) the right to freedom of association may be understood to include the right to freedom of assembly.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
and I miss 660- and 726-card Topps sets with no gimmicks added. Unfortunately, there's no going back to any of that stuff we miss.

So the logical thing is to copy others bad mistakes and then use them as an excuse on why you do them.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
sorry you had to make the long trip to look that up for S.D.

You are hilarious. I like how you are attempting to spin it into me being "lazy" and not wanting to look it up. You STILL don't know what it means, even with it right in front of your face, do you? Please explain how it applies in this specific case. Can you?

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
it will take more than a couple sentences which I prefer not to do with one hand. QUOTE=sportscardtheory;2104653]You are the one using the phrase. Are you refusing to explain why you are using it? lol

This is great comedy.[/QUOTE]

Members online

Latest posts