Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
It's no Red Crusade, but I pickup up this 1996 Studio Silver Press Proof #/100

griffey_zps9ztlivp6.jpg

Dec 4, 2008
Were any of those red crusades sold on ebay? Didn't see them in the completed listings.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I personally think it is extremely overrated (why does everyone want a card where Griffey likely fouled or grounded out to third base when there are so many other rare ones that look just as good). That's just my opinion though. Regarding your BGS 10 Crusade Purple, I'd probably think that is $1000-1200.

Crusade Griffey = beautiful card, terrible photo.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a bit of a snob about the photo used on a card, and to use that photo on one of Griffey's most significant issues is a travesty.

This is how you do it!

attachment.php

Nope.

attachment.php

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
A few trusted sellers have listed some great Griffeys this week.

crump_family - Just listed. Highlights include an authentic (PSA/DNA) Peter Max auto and some tougher Artist Proofs and Refractors. http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...RC2.A0.H0.Xgriffey.TRS2&_nkw=griffey&_sacat=0

probstein - Like him or not, he has some good stuff listed. Highlighted by not one, but TWO 1999 Bowman Chrome International refractors. a PSA 9 and PSA 10.
pwcc - 93 Refractor, 94 Mantle autos, some good classic/tough Griffeys

medoogan - Some tough ones ending tonight and tomorrow. Several of them he got from me, so I doubt I will be watching how high they end at. Not good for the soul lol. - http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=111668600153&hash=item19fff79d59&_ssn=medoogan&_sop=10

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A few trusted sellers have listed some great Griffeys this week.

crump_family - Just listed. Highlights include an authentic (PSA/DNA) Peter Max auto and some tougher Artist Proofs and Refractors. http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=crump_family&hash=item43dcca06f2&item=291467036402&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xgriffey.TRS2&_nkw=griffey&_sacat=0

probstein - Like him or not, he has some good stuff listed. Highlighted by not one, but TWO 1999 Bowman Chrome International refractors. a PSA 9 and PSA 10.
pwcc - 93 Refractor, 94 Mantle autos, some good classic/tough Griffeys

medoogan - Some tough ones ending tonight and tomorrow. Several of them he got from me, so I doubt I will be watching how high they end at. Not good for the soul lol. - http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=111668600153&hash=item19fff79d59&_ssn=medoogan&_sop=10

Will you zip your piehole?????? :D;)

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I would like to list the BGS 10 Pristine Purple /100 Crusade of Griffey Jr on Ebay as a buy it now with offers. Can someone please suggest a price I might start at, on the high side of course with the offers?
OR would it be better, since we don't know what the BGS 10 pristine would add to the price would it be better to have an open auction with a reserve?
I always trusted you guys. Any help appreciated
Steve Brinn

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I would like to list the BGS 10 Pristine Purple /100 Crusade of Griffey Jr on Ebay as a buy it now with offers. Can someone please suggest a price I might start at, on the high side of course with the offers?
OR would it be better, since we don't know what the BGS 10 pristine would add to the price would it be better to have an open auction with a reserve?
I always trusted you guys. Any help appreciated
Steve Brinn

.99 starting price. No reserve.

It will attract MUCH more buyers. A card like that won't undersell.

With Buy It Now/Best Offer, several things can happen. You list the buy it now too low, it sells, and you leave money on the table. List it with a buy it now too high, it doesn't sell, and becomes stale (like all of the 1990s_insert_collectors "rare" cards.)

With a reserve, you lose tons of potential buyers, who don't want to bid on an item if theres a chance they won't hit the reserve. I never bid on auctions with a reserve. Its a deflating feeling to "win" an auction, only to find you haven't hit the reserve. So I just avoid them completely.

The highest sales come from auctions that start at a buck with no reserve.

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
goob, thanks so much for the advice. I will do it that way, and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck to you and laa the Griffey guys
Steve Brinn

Dec 4, 2008
Hi Steve - I'll provide a second opinion here. I sell thousands of cards every year on ebay. My goal is always to maximize value. I tend to avoid the ultra high-end cards like you Griffey collectors get into. The market is too small and has a much bigger up front investment. That said, I have learned a lot and have done a lot of selling (user ID cardboardstars.com), so I am very much an expert on the ebay market in general and you can take that for what it's worth.

Could you be ok and hopefully still get max value on your BGS 10 Purple? Sure. Maybe. The high end Griffey market is one of the very last remaining strong points in the market. But I think what goob shared was one-sided. From his perspective. My perspective? Leave nothing to chance,. Do not trust the market. Protect yourself. It is all about the right buyers coming in, and the timing has to work for both them AND for you if you go the no-min route. If I were to liquidate my inventory right now, I would get .10-.15 on the dollar vs. if I were to sell it over time with a set minimum. That is what I have found in the data and I adjust my practices accordingly.

If I were in your shoes, I would do the high BIN with best offer. Probably would try something like $3500 or $4000, but you Griffey guys might know better what the Griffey market would bear. While goob makes the point about people being put off by reserves...for a card like this, when they really want it and they have to have it AND it is the only one out there, I think they will get over the slight nuisance of it not being a no-minimum auction.

Good luck!

Matt

Members online

Latest posts