Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

November Arrivals 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
transogram 2.jpgTransogram 1.jpg
A few more Sporting Life customs

Not sure how scarce these are, but my understanding is that you could get 1 card stamped if you opened a pack at the booth at the ASG FF.
Mussina FF.jpg

I decided to "upgrade" my Joe Santos auto with a photo. He doesn't seem to pop up a lot but he wasn't a huge name either.
Santos.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I told myself I was done with rainbows, but then I saw this card and fell in love. Have a few more incoming and only short the blue and orange
3bf74ab9836d2fc8c10ba5edd15a5ca9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Stoked that i stumbled across this pretty rare one and grabbed for FAR less than the one Burbank has listed. Its an /9 autograph. Guessing DLP had damaged 1997 Century Mark autos and this is where they ended up. Some players had over 100 on this series, some as few as 7. Actually a nice card in hand. Thick and nice foil.

Attachments

• 20231117_135405.jpg
    20231117_135405.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231117_135414.jpg
    20231117_135414.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Show pickups today . Not a lot of clemens on hand tho.

Attachments

• 20231118_154913.jpg
    20231118_154913.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231118_154917.jpg
    20231118_154917.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231118_154801.jpg
    20231118_154801.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231118_155158.jpg
    20231118_155158.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231118_154836.jpg
    20231118_154836.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 7

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Stoked that i stumbled across this pretty rare one and grabbed for FAR less than the one Burbank has listed. Its an /9 autograph. Guessing DLP had damaged 1997 Century Mark autos and this is where they ended up. Some players had over 100 on this series, some as few as 7. Actually a nice card in hand. Thick and nice foil.
I picked up a Juan Gonzalez way back when they were newer. Always hated that it was another certified card that was cut up as sacrifice for it, but maybe your theory could be accurate.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Added the Ewing this week. As a Knicks and Rangers fan, very happy with this pairing, forming my initials.
Also added a 1962 Berra Topps for my Yankees run, down to 37 cards to complete 50/60s including a few big Mantles.
No O'Neills to be found, aside from Tek patterns, having a dry spell these few months.

PXL_20231119_181051990.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Glad to see I am not starting this month's thread on the 3rd!

A trio of Aaron autographs, but not the guy we normally see. The 70 Tommie Aaron sticks in my mind well. I remember really liking that card when I was a kid. Tommie died well before his brother Henry, in 1984, at the age of 45 from Leukemia. His 13 career HRs, 8 in his rookie season, helped propel the due to the top of the All Time HR list for MLB brothers.
View attachment 351640

Jewell Loyd.

Bartell drugs, which I believe is a local drug store chain, had these sets available a few years back around Christmas time. They were $25 if I recall, with some or all proceeds going to Seattle Children's Hospital. The set was filled with local Seattle celebrities, the checklist has some impressive names but was by no means a comprehensive list. There were non-sports folks too. Each set included a signed card. I figured this would be a decent purchase, even if I struck out on the autographs and you can't beat helping a charity at the same time! Besides names like Russell Wilson, Gary Payton, Ken Griffey Jr, there were some fairly uninspiring names like Charlie Furbush and Spencer Hawes. In addition to the 22 "celebrity" checklist, 3 kids who were patients of the hospital signed cards as well. Now, this can probably only sound insensitive, but I can imagine that pretty much only family and friends and perhaps some completists out there would have wanted those 3 signatures. It was definitely a factor in making a decision to buy a set, despite the charitable aspect. Clearly there were not going to be equal signatures of all subjects and odds had you probably pulling a card of one of the kids.

Didn't matter, because the day I heard about the sets and tried to go online to buy one (or more), I couldn't find a single set available. I was not about to relive my Starting Line Up horror stories and drive around, trying to find sets at the drug stores. i am fairly certain that would have just wasted my time and gas. As usual, the sets were likely gobbled up by people planning to resell them and the everyday collector was left in the cold.

I have since added Kyle Seager and now Jewell Loyd. I'd add a few more if I could find reasonably prices copies, but they seem to have settled and fallen into collections after almost 3 years. Really, the only ones left I'd even want out of the 25 card set are Griffey & Wilson (yeah, forget it) then L. Wilkens, G. Payton, D. Schremph, A. Clark, E. Martinez, D. Wilson and M. Haniger. That isn't even 1/2 of the set for my taste. Too bad there were no other "vintage" players. They set could have really been great with the likes of Steve Largent, Freddie Brown, Ruppert Jones, Alvin Davis and some other fan favorites over the years.

View attachment 351641

I'm working on my 2nd set. When they came out a couple of years ago (end of 2020, like you since it was for charity, I reached out to some friends I knew up there and had them get me a few boxes. (I paid about $40 per box ($25+S&H+their time to pick them up) You mentioned the 3 kids in the set. One of them is a short print that I sold to another friend before I tried to make the 2nd set. I have some extras if you need them. (send me a message and I'll let you know who I have) (the 2nd set has base cards as place holders - Jamal Crawford & Olivia Vitella)

Attachments

• set1.jpg
    set1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 13
  • set2a.jpg
    set2a.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A couple High C posters, but a little more beat up than I like, but they are a bit scarce. Sayers HI-C.jpgJurgensen HI-C.jpg

This card is oddly tough. Makes me wonder if he refused to sign them for a time. Finally landed one and it went for more than a Klesko auto should. I gave up on trying to complete the trophy run, as people seem to get other cards signed more so than base Topps these days, and every new player is now the next Hank Cobb Ruth, at least that is what the price would have you believe!
Klesko.jpg

Guy /10 I guess you could say he is under appreciated. Deceased now and still the only punter in the NFL HOF.
Guy 10.jpg

Spencer Haywood.
Haywood.jpg

Would normally show this type of thing in the Dodger thread, but these are not autographs and I have too many images to load anyway. I have been trying to win the 2 different lots of Garvey permagraphics, but weirdly, they keep selling for way more than I would have guessed. Seriously, WTF is up with the odd Garvey auctions lately? I know he is finally trying to make his political ambitions a reality, but otherwise it's just strange. Finally decided to try Oliver and won both lots in my first try. Not ever sure why, other than it's a disease! About 100 of each in the two lots.

Oliver gold.jpgOliver Reg.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'm working on my 2nd set. When they came out a couple of years ago (end of 2020, like you since it was for charity, I reached out to some friends I knew up there and had them get me a few boxes. (I paid about $40 per box ($25+S&H+their time to pick them up) You mentioned the 3 kids in the set. One of them is a short print that I sold to another friend before I tried to make the 2nd set. I have some extras if you need them. (send me a message and I'll let you know who I have) (the 2nd set has base cards as place holders - Jamal Crawford & Olivia Vitella)
I am not looking for any of them specifically now that I have a couple, but if one of the baseball or basketball players shows up at a nice price, I'll try for them.

I think I saw that SP card. Someone was asking somewhere around $400 for it. I'll never understand some of the thought processes that go into this hobby. Set collector OCD is about the only way I see anyone paying anywhere close to $400 for that card, and even then, why? To each their own and I guess we all collect cards with someone or something on them and we all value them a little differently. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't consider spending more than $10-20 on any Steve Garvey card ever made, regardless of what it might be.

Members online

Latest posts