Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

At the risk of Jinxing it (Upton)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I know it's early and I'm very biased, but Justin Upton is off to a hot start. He really seems locked in right now. Could this finally be the year that many have predicted for him? Is the move to Atlanta and joining his brother a major factor? How bout the fact that he's still healthy to this point in the season? I'm sure he's going to come back down and not homer every game, but I was just curious if others had noticed and what others' thought about his early run.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
He is still only 25, but I think many (including myself) had him squarely pegged as a .290/25/90 type hitter with spurts here and there, spurts of .300+ seasons, 30+ HR seasons, 100+ RBI seasons, scattered about. But on average a .290/25/90 hitter. I think if he can produce this type of year once again, his potential will have been met. I have NEVER been a advocate of the .300+/40+/110+ potential and never saw that as a realistic average for him. So I guess my point is, yes he is starting off good, but I do not believe this will be the year 'many have predicted for him' because I believe he has been producing properly for the past 3 years. Also, I think joining his brother has equally the potential of being a positive or a negative. Only time will tell...

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Oddly enough because of the Upton's I think the Braves will do good this season.

U was linking for a couple of tickets for last night's game for my record ticket cillection.
Sent from my Desire HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
yeah i think it will have a good effect on BJ as the season continues as well. he had a horrific start the first few games but found a way to make things happen on Friday and was clutch city last night.

as a Braves fan I still worry that our rotation is not deep enough. we will win some games with this lineup but we also might get shellacked so early in others.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
sombrero.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I thought that being teamed with his brother would serve to motivate both of them, and so far at least, Justin has responded and looks very Motivated. If you look closely at it, J-Up actually had a pretty descent second half of 2012 after the injury fully healed. And at 25, who knows what his upside is.

Which only makes the decision by Towers to deal a potential MVP, who is under Salary control, even more Puzzling. And get one Starter back. Never has a trade upset me more, never...

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Honestly Arizona fans have to be happy with the trade. They got needed pitching, and .... Braves got a motivated and productive Upton.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Honestly Arizona fans have to be happy with the trade. They got needed pitching, and .... Braves got a motivated and productive Upton.

Yeah. It was a good move for both teams. Upton and the Dbacks were not a good fit, Atlanta wasn't going to pay Prado anywhere close to what he would likely be worth, so its kind of an everybody wins situation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

I said it was an awful trade the day it happened and still say it now. To trade a guy with Upton's ability you HAVE TO get top prospects back, and they didn't. None of those guys who they got were even in the Top 5 in the Braves' system. Plus, AZ didn't "need" pitching either. IF they think they did, then they shouldn't have signed Ross or traded Bauer, or at least got Cabrera back for him...

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
I said it was an awful trade the day it happened and still say it now. To trade a guy with Upton's ability you HAVE TO get top prospects back, and they didn't. None of those guys who they got were even in the Top 5 in the Braves' system. Plus, AZ didn't "need" pitching either. IF they think they did, then they shouldn't have signed Ross or traded Bauer, or at least got Cabrera back for him...

The problem is that Upton tied their hands. His vetoing the Seattle trade meant that not a lot of other teams were at the table, at least not that I remember.

And they didn't do horrible. Moving Upton out dealt with a problem, and they brought back some very good talent (even if it might not be the most they could have gotten).

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Two problems with that.

It was Towers who tied his own hands by signing Ross and not trading away some of the other OF prospects and when a lousy offer for J-UP got sent his way, he shoulda just turned it down and dealt later with Upton, if needed.

And then he didn't even get Top 5 talent back for him, basically letting the Braves hand-cuff him further.

I've said from Day 1 this will go down as one of the Worst Trades of the last 40 years and I'll stand by that...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I know it's early and I'm very biased, but Justin Upton is off to a hot start. He really seems locked in right now. Could this finally be the year that many have predicted for him? Is the move to Atlanta and joining his brother a major factor? How bout the fact that he's still healthy to this point in the season? I'm sure he's going to come back down and not homer every game, but I was just curious if others had noticed and what others' thought about his early run.

3 HRs since April 28 says he's back to earth and back to normal.

Who would've thought the Uptons would've had a .400 batting average... combined... by the middle of June?

It will be interesting to check back in another 3 months.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
3 HRs since April 28 says he's back to earth and back to normal.

Who would've thought the Uptons would've had a .400 batting average... combined... by the middle of June?

It will be interesting to check back in another 3 months.

I'm pleased as hell that Freeman is having himself a year thus far. Been a fan of his for a while. Not sure he can keep it up but I hope he does.

Members online

Latest posts