Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is wrong with Mariano Rivera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I can't remember the last time i have seen him falter like in his last three games. Is he starting to lose it? His stuff still seems to be there. One thing I noticed is that he is pitching away to alot of left handed hitters. I am NOT used to seeing that. Why is he not jamming the living crap out of lefties? I can't my head around that, unless he has lost some life on the cutter which is possible.

His ERA has jumped from 1.70 to 2.78 in a span of three outings.

Last three outings

1 ER
2 ER
3 ER

5 blown saves already, matching his last years total already.

Something to worry about? Or just a bump in the road?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
He has been solid during CC's games this year, as far as I can remember...

And he only gave up 1 run today really, the other 2 were charged to Wade.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
Is age finally catching up to him? I hope not. Is this just a weird hiccup in his season? Who knows. Only time will tell. The guy is 41 and unfortunately won't last forever. At this point I just marvel that he is still out there and appreciate what might be the swan song of an absolutely legendary career.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
clumps of bad outings from closers are bound to happen, if you want to see how bad he was go to the mlb gameday and check the advanced stats for the game there.

I think he will be just fine. Branyan has crazy power, when he is on (which is rarely) they are no doubters. I like Mo in the long run though :)

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
~ It must be Jeter's horrible defense ~ ;)

But seriously, he seems to have a stretch like this every year where he has a few shaky outings in a row. Just looking back I found this:

2010: 3 straight outings - Sept. 19, 20, 26 he gave up 1, 1, and 2 runs.
2009: 3 of 5 outings - April 24, 29, May 7 he gave up 2, 1, and 2 runs.
2008: 7 of 15 outings - Span of July 1 to August 15 he gave up 7 of his 11 runs on the season.
2007: 3 of 4 outings and a separate 3 in a row - April 15, 20, 27 he gave up 9 runs. Three outings in a row August 12, 13, 15 where he gave up 1, 1, and 3 runs.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
RL24 said:
He has been solid during CC's games this year, as far as I can remember...

And he only gave up 1 run today really, the other 2 were charged to Wade.[/quote]

::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

I walked away for a minute and came back to see the homerun, I thought they were Mo's. My bad......

Note, I am not trying to rip on Mo. He is one of the guys that I truly respect in baseball. Just curious to get others thoughts.

Has age caught up to him? Or is going to dominate the rest of the year?

scooter2374

Jul 4, 2010
New Jersey
Y4NK335 said:
~ It must be Jeter's horrible defense ~ ;)

But seriously, he seems to have a stretch like this every year where he has a few shaky outings in a row. Just looking back I found this:

2010: 3 straight outings - Sept. 19, 20, 26 he gave up 1, 1, and 2 runs.
2009: 3 of 5 outings - April 24, 29, May 7 he gave up 2, 1, and 2 runs.
2008: 7 of 15 outings - Span of July 1 to August 15 he gave up 7 of his 11 runs on the season.
2007: 3 of 4 outings and a separate 3 in a row - April 15, 20, 27 he gave up 9 runs. Three outings in a row August 12, 13, 15 where he gave up 1, 1, and 3 runs.

I was gonna say that most years he has a bad stretch of a week or so. Sometimes it's early in the year and sometimes it's later on.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If anyone has watched MO on a consistent basis you'd know he has made a ton of saves an adventure this year. he has a stretch every year where is blows a few. He will be fine and yes he is mortal

G

OMG, a pitcher just had a rough outing, it's the end of the world! Let's make a big deal because he's the bestest closer that's ever played in the game, everzzz. :benson:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
GoldenBuckeyes said:
OMG, a pitcher just had a rough outing, it's the end of the world! Let's make a big deal because he's the bestest closer that's ever played in the game, everzzz. :benson:

He is also 41, which makes the question much more relevant. I never said it was the end of the world, just starting some conversation about him.

I personally think he will be okay, but it is interesting and surprising to watch him struggle.

skrip

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
His cutter isn't cutting. MLB Network showed some stills of his delivery and it looks like his finger positioning is off. He should be on the side of the ball, but right now he's behind it. I'm sure it's just a funk and he'll fix it.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Any other closer, the talk is about keeping their ERA down or how they are giving up too many hits, not getting ahead, how they blew another save. Rivera gives up a run and people think he's ready to hang it up.

Let me say this. I HATE the Yankees. I hate everything about them. I would only go to a game they were playing in to see the other team. Having said that, Rivera might be the best closer I've ever seen. His consistency over the years has been fantastic and is one of the most feared pitchers in all of baseball.

Wait and see if this issue lasts a month. If not, its back to business.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
He is human. His reputation is so great that a bad couple of weeks make him look mortal. If the Yankees released Mo, I bet every contending teams will pick him up immediately. Judge Mo in the post season, his money in the bank period.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
His cutter has been a little off. I think he will be fine. This seems to happen every year, he has a few bad outings and everyone paniks. That just shows you how great he is, that if hee has back to back bad outings people start to wonder about him.

Members online

Latest posts