Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tigers acquire Delmon Young

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Zymco said:
I have never understood anything Twins fans say, but the fact that they are rejoicing over the departure of Young baffles me. He lead the Twins in RBI's last season BY 20! You guys' are very silly, sure he is having a down year and is hitting below his production, but so is Mauer, Morneau, I mean shat who isn't hitting below what they are capable this year for the Twins? Are you going to trade Mauer, of course not. Obviously DY isn't the face of the franchise, but selling so low on someone with HUGE talent and a massive amount of potential, IN THE DIVISION. Is going to come back to bite you guys in the ass time after time again, you can count on it. Im not calling Delmon a saint either, I know he probaly doesn't have your ideal make up, but he's seemed to have kept his nose fairly clean in Minnesota and was productive after being banished from Tampa Bay.

Do you really think Delmon was going to be with the Twins after this season?? Nope, so take what you can get for him.
He is a free agent to be, with arbitration eligibility I think
Hes making $5.38 Million this year, only to more than likely go up next year.
He's been in the league 6 years and has had ONE solid year, how much longer should we wait?
He sucks ass defensively
He cant make a decent decision running the basis
The Twins minor league system is full of OF prospects, so someone at some point was going to be the odd man out, and Delmon is it!

Yeap, I see your point, us Twins fans are morons.

ideal0024

Jan 22, 2009
Maplewood, MN
Musial Collector said:
The Twins minor league system is full of OF prospects, so someone at some point was going to be the odd man out, and Delmon is it!

Here is my fear....while we have some potential OF prospects, none will be ready next season. I think we will lose Kubel & retain Cuddy, that leaves an OF of Span, Revere, Cuddy....Mauer/Morneau/Butera as a 1B/C/DH rotation....and zero depth.

If one of those players gets hurt & based on this year, that's is almost guarenteed to happen, we are looking at bums like Repko, Tolbert, Plouffe being every day players.

Unless you think they will sign a significant free agent & I highly doubt that will happen.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
ideal0024 said:
Musial Collector said:

Here is my fear....while we have some potential OF prospects, none will be ready next season. I think we will lose Kubel & retain Cuddy, that leaves an OF of Span, Revere, Cuddy....Mauer/Morneau/Butera as a 1B/C/DH rotation....and zero depth.

If one of those players gets hurt & based on this year, that's is almost guarenteed to happen, we are looking at bums like Repko, Tolbert, Plouffe being every day players.

Unless you think they will sign a significant free agent & I highly doubt that will happen.

I think Mauer will still be almost a Full-time catcher but we will see more Butera next year. But our everyday lineup will more than likely consist of Mauer at Catcher, Morneau at 1B, and we will sign someone to DH, just as we did with Thome.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
No idea who they gave up to grab him although I must say I hope it's not Castellanos, and I can't imagine Dombrowski being dumb enough to give up Turner for a marginal player like Young.

I can't say I'm a fan of guys like Young who are known for having poor me-first attitudes, but I like the pickup considering Magglio has been absolutely awful. If Young can be even half of what he was last year for the Twins, then this deal will benefit the Tigers. The only way I won't be a fan of this is if Castellanos is the PTBNL.

Additionally, Young is still just 25 years old and could still be a very good ballplayer based on what we saw from him last year. I'm excited to see how he does.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Musial Collector said:
Zymco said:
I have never understood anything Twins fans say, but the fact that they are rejoicing over the departure of Young baffles me. He lead the Twins in RBI's last season BY 20! You guys' are very silly, sure he is having a down year and is hitting below his production, but so is Mauer, Morneau, I mean shat who isn't hitting below what they are capable this year for the Twins? Are you going to trade Mauer, of course not. Obviously DY isn't the face of the franchise, but selling so low on someone with HUGE talent and a massive amount of potential, IN THE DIVISION. Is going to come back to bite you guys in the ass time after time again, you can count on it. Im not calling Delmon a saint either, I know he probaly doesn't have your ideal make up, but he's seemed to have kept his nose fairly clean in Minnesota and was productive after being banished from Tampa Bay.

Do you really think Delmon was going to be with the Twins after this season?? Nope, so take what you can get for him.
He's been in the league 6 years and has had ONE solid year, how much longer should we wait?
He sucks ass defensively

Never called you or anyone else a moron, don't even know you, but I do know Delmon can hit, and the rejoicing of him leaving your ball club thats going on in this thread makes me scratch my head a little bit after what he did for you ball club last year. I am not a Twins fan, but I tune in a lot and Delmon is a great hitter, no one claimed he was ever going to win a gold glove. The point I was making is that if they didn't get a prospect back for him I think they sold pretty low based on his potential AND production. Also trading him within the division was confusing to me. Not doing anything at the trading deadline I think was a product of not knowing if they Twins were in or out of the race, and thats fine I just hope you guys' got something decent back for him, because he's no scrub. I think he fits nicely into the Tigers lineup.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Zymco said:
Musial Collector said:
Zymco said:

He sucks ass defensively

Never called you or anyone else a moron, don't even know you, but I do know Delmon can hit, and the rejoicing of him leaving your ball club thats going on in this thread makes me scratch my head a little bit after what he did for you ball club last year. I am not a Twins fan, but I tune in a lot and Delmon is a great hitter, no one claimed he was ever going to win a gold glove. The point I was making is that if they didn't get a prospect back for him I think they sold pretty low based on his potential AND production. Also trading him within the division was confusing to me. Not doing anything at the trading deadline I think was a product of not knowing if they Twins were in or out of the race, and thats fine I just hope you guys' got something decent back for him, because he's no scrub. I think he fits nicely into the Tigers lineup.

As was mentioned earlier, Minnesota's outfield is pretty crowded, as is. Delmon was decent at the plate, but a liability in the field (aside from his arm).

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
thefasterblade said:
Don't see them dealing Castellanos for Delmon Young. Young can still be a very solid player, but his value was at an all time low. Unless they got one of the Tigers top two prospects (Turner or Castellanos), the Twins did a head-scratcher.

Exactly my thoughts.

I don't see Young getting much that this year's salary if he goes to arbitration over the winter, and he is still one year away from free agency. The Tigers lack of depth in the outfield needed to be adressed, and they still have him for 2012. If he puts any numbers close to his 2010 season, it would be a great deal for them. The potential is here for Young, and he is only 25.

So... under these conditions, if the Twins did not ask a prospect of higher value along with Nelson, it's really a head-scratcher.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Hmmm, Young and Magglio are both in the lineup tonight (DY batting 3rd, Maggs dropped to 8th)

Will Rhymes sent to Toledo

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know who this guy is that you speak of as PTBNL, but when was the last time a player to be named later was an actual decent prospect? This was a ok, we really are out of it, we messed up by not trading anyone, let's salvage what we can move.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
frzg said:
Dustin Ackley has a higher WAR total (in 1 month) than Delmon Young (career).

He's not a good baseball player.

Get off Ackley's nuts. Every post does not have to do with him. He's had a great start to his career, but you are looking at a very small simple size. Ackley looks to be a promising hitter at the plate and has really done a good job of using the whole field, but he's played in 48 games, man.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Zymco said:
frzg said:
Dustin Ackley has a higher WAR total (in 1 month) than Delmon Young (career).

He's not a good baseball player.

Get off Ackley's nuts. Every post does not have to do with him. He's had a great start to his career, but you are looking at a very small simple size. Ackley looks to be a promising hitter at the plate and has really done a good job of using the whole field, but he's played in 48 games, man.

I'm not on his nuts, I'm telling you that Delmon Young has a career WAR of 1.8 AND ITS NOT A GOOD BASEBALL PLAYER, but thanks.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
justwar said:
Hmmm, Young and Magglio are both in the lineup tonight (DY batting 3rd, Maggs dropped to 8th)

Will Rhymes sent to Toledo

Finally Leyland has some sense. Magglio should have been hitting 8th for about 4 months now.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
With Kubel, Young, and Cuddyer playing a lot of OF for the Twins, many balls that should have been outs, dropped for hits. My guess is that they want Revere in CF and will move Span to left, then resign Cuddyer for RF and Kubel for DH. They couldn't afford them all, so this frees up some money and maybe they got a prospect (I'd guess they did not anyone with top tier talent).

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
tpeichel said:
With Kubel, Young, and Cuddyer playing a lot of OF for the Twins, many balls that should have been outs, dropped for hits. My guess is that they want Revere in CF and will move Span to left, then resign Cuddyer for RF and Kubel for DH. They couldn't afford them all, so this frees up some money and maybe they got a prospect (I'd guess they did not anyone with top tier talent).

I think they'll put Revere in LF because of his atrocious arm and keep Span in CF. Either way they will both make it so there is less room for the RF to cover so Span can shade hitters to RF. They will also bring back Cuddyer but I don't see them re-signing Kubel. They will likely go for a cheaper DH option.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Who did Twins call up.. I'd love to see Benson get some games now and see what he can do.

Not a fan of D Young. Has talent but not the will or brains to be more than average MLB player.. Maybe a tough manager will get more out of him. Gardy and his good old boys network wasn't going to.

shakedown420

Apr 8, 2011
I used to be the biggest Delmon fan, but the fact of the matter is that the last 3 years he's been a well below average player. He is one of the worst defensive outfielder in the league and still hasn't learned any plate discipline. The plate discipline is the main reason why he hasn't been very good. He's a fringe average player at this point. Good thing the Rays got rid of him when they did. If you really think the PTBNL is Turner or Castellanos, there really isn't much to say besides you don't know baseball or the true value of these players very well. The PTBNL will either be someone on the 40 man who didn't clear waivers and will wait until the offseason (or until the player clears), or someone drafted recently that can't be traded yet. It won't be anyone that's good.

G

ideal0024 said:
Musial Collector said:

Span, Revere, Cuddyer, Plouffe, Benson, Hicks, MAYBE Mauer in a few years

Members online

Latest posts