Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves to build new stadium for 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
the cobb county busses connect with marta

and they have 3 years to improve that situation
The closest Marta Station right now is 5-6 miles (just measured it). Just what I want to do is ride that long in that awful traffic on a friggin bus. How are they going to improve the situation? They sure in the hell are not getting a Marta train spur out to the new park in 3 years. This is Marta we are talking about, the most poorly run mass transit in the country. You can sugar coat a turd and it is still a turd.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I echo Chris's statement. The area is a dump. I live in the city. The area has had 2 stadiums and all that has grown out of it is a XXXXty Holiday Inn, and an awful restaurant called the "Bullpen".. your expert opinion holds ZERO water with us b/c we live here, we go to games, or we at least fight traffic to get there. I go to about 30 games a year but that is b/c I live on the Marta train line. So I am able to jump on it, but it is still a 20 min bus ride from the nearest train station. Simply put, the Braves probably cringed when the stadium was built in 1993-1996 in the area it was put in. But hey, hopes and dreams are what fuels this great nation right??

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
I love the criticism here from the people that don't live here or have never been to a game at Fulton County Stadium or Turner Field. I turn down free tickets all the time during the week because I don't feel like sitting in traffic for hours coming and going. Cobb will be much better and I'll have several routes to get there now.

I just saw that the city will be demolishing the Ted in 2017. Turning the area into a "middle class" development. Yeah, let's see how that goes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mayor-cites-cost-taxpayers-braves-095719265--mlb.html

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I love the criticism here from the people that don't live here or have never been to a game at Fulton County Stadium or Turner Field. I turn down free tickets all the time during the week because I don't feel like sitting in traffic for hours coming and going. Cobb will be much better and I'll have several routes to get there now.

I just saw that the city will be demolishing the Ted in 2017. Turning the area into a "middle class" development. Yeah, let's see how that goes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mayor-cites-cost-taxpayers-braves-095719265--mlb.html

Yeah and those riverside drive folks will love the extra traffic

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
After reading the article here http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/12/s...-for-nearby-suburbs.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0 it sure seems that the biggest problem is parking and traffic. I hope this all works out for you locals.

This is a huge problem regardless of location. It is a problem now and will remain one in the new location - although less of one for the majority of the fan base. Getting to 75/285 during rush hour, while not a picnic, is an improvement for the folks coming from Marietta, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Roswell, etc versus getting downtown.

And the parking situation will hopefully be much better. Add in the safer location, promises to have things to do close by before and after the games, and this is a huge win for a large percentage of the fan base. The experience should be much, much better. Now this is the Braves were talking about so it isn't out of the question they will mess this up somehow but I'm optimistic.

The argument about public transportation is a non-starter. As of now, it looks like it won't be a viable option for the new stadium (of course, that could change but we probably won't know for awhile). But it isn't a viable option now for most of the fans. MARTA is a joke - not to mention typically an uncomfortable experience. Even if a line went right to the stadium, the city and suburbs here just aren't conducive to rail. But as it is, you have to transfer to a bus unless you want to walk from the nearest station. Just less than a mile to walk isn't a big deal to a relatively young person in ideal conditions. But of course, it is typically 90+ here in the summer and I for one don't like arriving to the stadium coated in sweat after walking in asphalt next to traffic in the heat. And try making that short walk with kids or if your elderly. Just brutal.

The only downsidel for the bulk of the fans is the taxpayer funds. Period. Yes, it will be worse for folks coming from south or east of the city but the fans from the north and west outnumber them by a large percentage. They can now experience the pain most of the fans have felt for the past 30 years.

The upside for the team is tremendous. No more lease payments to the city. They will own the parking. They will have a large say in the development surrounding the park. And they won't have to deal with the city of Atlanta graft and corruption. Given the horrible TV deal they are saddled with, they had to do something to improve their revenue situation if they ever have a chance to meaningfully increase payrolls to keep up with the Mets, Phillies, and Nationals.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Why as an NFL player would you not take 2 million more?

Because you wan't to win another Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years, something of which the lousy Vikings are not even close to obtaining.Then again, I guess winning doesn't matter anymore.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I agree with Mike (Crafty) in the long run, its a win for the Braves. The area downtown was said to have an investor that wanted to turn the parking lots around the stadium into an entertainment district. Apparently whoever the investor was did his due diligence and ran like hell. 81 games Or more if the Braves make the playoffs, does not supplant the rest of the years income. No one from the northern suburbs would say "hey kids, lets load up and go down to a crime ridden area and go to the "entertainment" district" . no one wants to lose money. More money has to be sunken into that area than the city has in its coffers. Hell they took a bath on the Falcons deal (36 million dollars for two churches.. YA.. that makes sense!)

Prospectmaster

I agree with Mike (Crafty) in the long run, its a win for the Braves. The area downtown was said to have an investor that wanted to turn the parking lots around the stadium into an entertainment district. Apparently whoever the investor was did his due diligence and ran like hell. 81 games Or more if the Braves make the playoffs, does not supplant the rest of the years income. No one from the northern suburbs would say "hey kids, lets load up and go down to a crime ridden area and go to the "entertainment" district" . no one wants to lose money. More money has to be sunken into that area than the city has in its coffers. Hell they took a bath on the Falcons deal (36 million dollars for two churches.. YA.. that makes sense!)

Sounds a lot like here in Richmond with our new proposed new ballpark possibly heading downtown. They are looking to put it in an area called Shockoe Bottom which is full of crime and bars and lots full of weeds and broken up asphalt. They plan on trying to wipe the garbage out of the bottom with a new Ballpark as well as a Hyatt Hotel a Kroger and a Slave/African American Museum dedicated to the slave history here in richmond. That is thing that is different about atlanta and richmond va. They both burnt to the ground during the civil war its just that Atlanta got its nose out of the past and moved on while here in Richmond VA it still feels like 1920 something with all the backwards people here. So much opposition to this new ballpark it is unheard of. They had close to 100 people protesting against the ballpark and all the development being proposed around it because of the location of the ballpark as well as people wanting it to be a historic district leaving it the way it is with all the empty garbage lots. I dont even consider them lots with the shape they are in. I am glad at least Atlanta got out of the past and moved on. Here in Richmond we keep digging up the past it is unreal. If you have ever been to a backwards city do yourself a a favor and don't. Its sad when you go from having an ECHL Hockey team to no Hockey team at all as well as going from AAA to AA in baseball.

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
This is a huge problem regardless of location. It is a problem now and will remain one in the new location - although less of one for the majority of the fan base. Getting to 75/285 during rush hour, while not a picnic, is an improvement for the folks coming from Marietta, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Roswell, etc versus getting downtown.

And the parking situation will hopefully be much better. Add in the safer location, promises to have things to do close by before and after the games, and this is a huge win for a large percentage of the fan base. The experience should be much, much better. Now this is the Braves were talking about so it isn't out of the question they will mess this up somehow but I'm optimistic.

The argument about public transportation is a non-starter. As of now, it looks like it won't be a viable option for the new stadium (of course, that could change but we probably won't know for awhile). But it isn't a viable option now for most of the fans. MARTA is a joke - not to mention typically an uncomfortable experience. Even if a line went right to the stadium, the city and suburbs here just aren't conducive to rail. But as it is, you have to transfer to a bus unless you want to walk from the nearest station. Just less than a mile to walk isn't a big deal to a relatively young person in ideal conditions. But of course, it is typically 90+ here in the summer and I for one don't like arriving to the stadium coated in sweat after walking in asphalt next to traffic in the heat. And try making that short walk with kids or if your elderly. Just brutal.

The only downsidel for the bulk of the fans is the taxpayer funds. Period. Yes, it will be worse for folks coming from south or east of the city but the fans from the north and west outnumber them by a large percentage. They can now experience the pain most of the fans have felt for the past 30 years.

The upside for the team is tremendous. No more lease payments to the city. They will own the parking. They will have a large say in the development surrounding the park. And they won't have to deal with the city of Atlanta graft and corruption. Given the horrible TV deal they are saddled with, they had to do something to improve their revenue situation if they ever have a chance to meaningfully increase payrolls to keep up with the Mets, Phillies, and Nationals.

I'm just looking forward to the cheesecake factory shuttle from Cobb mall to Stephanie Abrams' Rack field. Figuring they'll do the right thing and name it after the most famous thing to come out of that area of town.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Because you wan't to win another Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years, something of which the lousy Vikings are not even close to obtaining.Then again, I guess winning doesn't matter anymore.
Not when you are an injury away from being cut, or, say the team doesnt want to pay you anymore so they decide to cut you. Family security to me would trump winning any day of the week.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm just looking forward to the cheesecake factory shuttle from Cobb mall to Stephanie Abrams' Rack field. Figuring they'll do the right thing and name it after the most famous thing to come out of that area of town.

No.. you have it wrong.. its the Stephanie Abrams boob slide.. you go down a greased replica of her breasts into a big thing of Queso.. should be a hoot

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I did a quick drive-by of Wikipedia to give an idea of how long MLB teams have occupied comparable facilities (relative to their respective time periods) before moving to new baseball-only parks:

Kingdome - 22
Metrodome - 27
Olympic - 27
Fulton County - 30
Three Rivers - 30
Riverfront - 32
Veterans - 32
Jack Murphy - 34
Astrodome - 34
Candlestick - 39

So the Braves moving after "only" 20 seasons really isn't all that outrageous. What is more sad is how the top three in that list were physically falling apart when the teams left.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Not when you are an injury away from being cut, or, say the team doesnt want to pay you anymore so they decide to cut you. Family security to me would trump winning any day of the week.

So $8 million a year or whatever the Packers gave him isn't enough security?So all the money made from the other 7 years of his career is gone?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
So $8 million a year or whatever the Packers gave him isn't enough security?So all the money made from the other 7 years of his career is gone?
How much of that money was gauranteed? In the NFL you take what you can get. You never know what tomorrow is gonna bring. I dont know how much money the man has, nor do I really care. It is a business and the Vikings offered him more than the Packers, so why not take it?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts