Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Ylaf used to have an awesome Griffey collection. If that's real, he'd be the one to have it. But I've never seen a patch on that card before.

This was just listed on ebay. It is a 1999 UD Game Jersey with a patch. I've never seen a patch on any of the 1999 game jersey cards, for any player. Do you guys think this was tampered with and someone inserted a fake patch? I'm definitely not saying ylaf did, but he could have purchased it without knowing from someone else that did. Maybe it's legit, but it really caught my eye, especially since I've never seen a patch in this set.

1998 UD Griffey Game Worn Jersey Patch Card | eBay

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
Finally landed one of these.Havent picked up tp many cards lately,last one I bought was a Sport Kings number patch a few weeks back.

FCFCE202-9CDC-4FB1-8185-AF743326EFAB-21891-0000058F50D5D6D7.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks to Bruce I was able to add more to a couple of my buyback sets and a nice 2002 Upper Deck. Thanks to Bruce and good luck over seas. @LaneyB

NEW
AB.jpg

2003 Ultimate Collection BuyBacks
NEW
771.jpg
772.jpg

GOES WELL WITH
881.jpg
882.jpg

891.jpg
892.jpg

2004 SP Authentic BuyBacks
NEW
91.jpg
92.jpg

101.jpg
102A.jpg

1021.jpg
1022.jpg

GOES WELL WITH
131.jpg
132.jpg

161.jpg
162.jpg

351.jpg
352.jpg

1001.jpg
1002.jpg

1011.jpg
1012.jpg
for the Right Price, I MIGHT Be Willing To Let Theses 3 Beauties Go
3griffeys.jpg

AK11

May 24, 2010
Grabbed this on ebay even though there was maybe a little shilling. I really wanted the card and if you can get a decent Griffey 90s insert under $200, I will take it.

For those guys here who still buy the 90s inserts, how often do you run into cards being stuck in the sleeve? It's usually a combination of the original owner and a little moisture possibly, but I got it out and the surface looks intact. I had an 00 Topps Chrome Allegiance Ref Ripken lose its surface coating after trying to remove from a stuck sleeve. It's dangerous when there's money involved.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
So who hit the $2499 Buy It Now on the 1997 Finest Gold Embossed Die Cut Refractor yesterday? I cannot believe it sold for that much. Does anybody else on here remember a couple years ago when ylaf listed two of them at auction? They ran all the way through and sold for $700-800 each.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
So who hit the $2499 Buy It Now on the 1997 Finest Gold Embossed Die Cut Refractor yesterday? I cannot believe it sold for that much. Does anybody else on here remember a couple years ago when ylaf listed two of them at auction? They ran all the way through and sold for $700-800 each.
DANUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Glad I own one already
90s.jpg

AK11

May 24, 2010
I just sent my 97 Finest Gold Ref and Shining Stars Pulsar off to BGS. I'm holding my breath for a 9 on both. It's amazingly hard to find raw 90s inserts in great condition a decade later. I had to remove the peel on the Finest because it had those pesky bubbles that BGS would downgrade the surface for. I know there's probably a trick to it, but it was tough removing the peel. I couldn't send the Brilliants Gold /99 into BGS because after further examination it had surface spots probably from sticking to the card in front of it in the pack.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I didn't set my snipe high enough. I thought for sure it wouldn't go that high. Did anyone here win the auction?
I wish it was me, my bid prolly would have ben Trumped anyways........:(

So recently I had an interesting turn of events that I thought I would share. A few weeks ago a long time Ozzie Smith collector decided he would sell off his collection on eBay. There were four truly rare cards in his collection that I still needed for my PC. The nice thing he did on his eBay listing was actually list the rarer cards and followed that up the next day with videos of himself flipping through the cards in their binders.

While I was reading his description of rare cards I noticed a particular card he listed as,

"1995 Pinnacle Pin Card, possible 1 of 1. David Justice single copy only other one known to exist. Check out the SCD book."

After collecting Ozzie for over 25 years I am rarely surprised anymore to come across a card I don't have, let alone one I've never seen or heard of. My first reaction was this was one of the two 1995 Pinnacle pin related cards issued that year and he must be mistaken. I quickly reconsidered this because I had become familiar with this knowledgeable collector over the years via email correspondence and didn't think he'd make this sort of error. So I waited until the next day and watched as he flipped past the card. That is when I started to get excited.

I emailed the seller and asked him if he had more information on this card and he sent me this copy from the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards listing:
davejist_zps05d5ba76.jpg

The seller wasn't really interested in piecing his collection out and wants to sell it as a whole but he is asking way too much in my opinion (believe me Iunderstand and would start high too). So I just accepted this was a card I would just have to know is out there and never own...

Act II of the story.

One of my favorite websites is a baseball card blog written by Bob Lemke (check it out). For those of you that aren't familiar with that name, Bob was the long time editor of the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and is literally one of the most knowledgeable sources on baseball cards on the planet. I frequent his blog often, and just a couple days after I had given up on the Ozzie I probably would never own, he had an interesting article about that very card. My assumption before reading the article was that he was going to reference the card from the above mentioned eBay auction but my assumption was incorrect.

See blog here:
http://boblemke.blogspot.com/search?q=ozzie

To sum up the article, Mr. Lemke was contacted by a long time dealer who had purchased a large collection. In this collection were a few of these Ozzie Smith cards and he wanted to know if, (because Bob had actually done the write up for SCD years earlier), he had any new information about this set. Bob did not have any new information but theorized that all of the players in the Pinnacle pin promotion probably had cards like the David Justice card pictured in the SCD, but no others had ever surfaced, until now. He also went on to write that these were most likely released out the back door after Pinnacle’s bankruptcy in 1998.

Again, I started to get excited.

I decided to contact the dealer who owned the Ozzie cards and see if any or all were for sale. He wrote me back and said that if he hadn't decided to sell them but because I was the first person to respond to Bob's blog he would sell me one and I was able to work out a deal for one of them.

Because I focus my collection only on the years he actually played it is very rare that I get to add a card to my checklist/collection. To add one that is 18 years old is very gratifying. My only regret is I only had a few weeks to pine over, and search for, the newly discovered card. Sometimes the search is the best part.

For those of you who have players in the '95 Pinnacle Pin set keep an eye out,evidence suggests they very well may have a card from this set. Sorry.

*Interesting side not*
After I had sent payment out I received and email from the dealer (who is out of San Diego, CA) and he commented that he had grown up and went to school in the same small town in Illinois I live in. In fact, my kids go to the same school he did a number of years ago. Sometimes I think we're just meant to own certain cards. Extremely happy with this new card!

Here it is. The scan does not do it justice. I tried multiple times to scan this so the gold lettering at the top would stand out to no avail.
Thanks for reading.
rare2_zpsa4efb66d.jpg
rareb_zps426bb2a8.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts