Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK11

May 24, 2010
Well, just got my results from BGS. Both Griffey's graded 9, but with different 8.5 subgrade flaws. The Pulsar just missed the gold label with 8.5 on surface but 9.5s on the other 3. The Finest ref had an 8.5 on corners and a 9 on surface, so was little farther from gem. No Pulsars have ever graded gem at BGS, so to get close I guess is nice. I wish I could find a raw Griffey insert worthy of a gold label, but it's tough and takes time & money. Of course, if you held onto yours since the 90s, maybe we have some hidden gems among us here...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Well, just got my results from BGS. Both Griffey's graded 9, but with different 8.5 subgrade flaws. The Pulsar just missed the gold label with 8.5 on surface but 9.5s on the other 3. The Finest ref had an 8.5 on corners and a 9 on surface, so was little farther from gem. No Pulsars have ever graded gem at BGS, so to get close I guess is nice. I wish I could find a raw Griffey insert worthy of a gold label, but it's tough and takes time & money. Of course, if you held onto yours since the 90s, maybe we have some hidden gems among us here...

Do u see the surface flaws? Do you think it's trying to get a sub bump?

Ryan

AK11

May 24, 2010
Do u see the surface flaws? Do you think it's trying to get a sub bump?

Ryan

I saw a few dimples on the Pulsar, but figured it would be minor enough to get a 9 on surface. I'll look at it again when it's in-hand, but I've never sub-bumped before.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
anyone else own one of theses?
autojersey.jpg

Is that an autographed finger puppet costume?

MINI.JPG

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I just wanted to send a warning to everybody here about dragointegra on ebay, trying to sell some rare Griffey cards. I have had quite encounter with him. I bought the 1989 1999 Upper Deck auto buy back, but he stopped responding to my messages and eventually gave me a refund and relisted it. Just because I wanted the card so badly, I then bid on it again, getting it at a higher price. He shilled the bids and then ended it immediately once he got the price he wanted. He then wanted me to send him a money order and do anything but pay on paypal. I told him no, and I also told him that I wanted to see the COA and a piece of paper with today's date. He would not comply. Long story short, he harasses you, and he likely doesn't even have the card. He'll try again to relist it, but I just wanted to warn all you guys in advance.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Got a nice picture from a buddy tonight, looks like this kinda, but more of a Rookie Looking type Cap and Jersey, and not a SI Mag, but a Mariners Program instead, Sharp looking Piece

griffey_collage.jpg

Should look nice right above Gumby on My Wall Of Shame

get-attachment.aspx

Last edited:

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
So there's a 1/1 die cut of Griffey from 2000 UD that just got listed and is already at $565. It's the Faces of the Game gold die cuts. I can't link from my phone.

oddballer

Aug 17, 2013
I couldn't help myself because I am currently on a Griffey buying binge. I saw this card on eBay and I cannot find anything about it. I searched all over google, I found people with Griffey checklists that did not list it, and I searched this forum, as well as searching this thread, and still find nothing. I would not be surprised if someone else on this board was bidding the same card! It was only $3.26 + $3.00 shipping. I have seen a lot of variations of cards from '88 and '89, but have never even seen a photo of this one. Thanks for any info on the card. I hope it arrives in good shape!

1989 Play Ball #1 Griffey Jr.

griffey1.JPGgriffey2.JPG

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
no idea on that one oddballer, I did pick up a new bulb for the Cheerio Cabinet here recently
bpefc_led_1_1.jpg

oddballer

Aug 17, 2013
I got this card today and was pretty bummed out. The seller shipped it in a toploader with tape over the top and dropped it in a plain white envelope. Needless to say, the top 1/16th of an inch of the card was freely hanging out of the top loader and pressed against the tape. It is hard to say if this damaged it, or if it was the fact it was shipped so carelessly in general.

I assume sellers simply do not care if we, the collectors, get our cards in mint condition or near mint condition ... but it matters a lot to me! I want to add cards to my collection that are as mint as possible.

What makes it worse when sellers do this careless shipping is that these cards are processed through USPS's mechanical sorting machines. So the card no longer looks as it did in the pictures because it was SMASHED/FLATTENED through those machines and the delicate edges are not as black as they were in the seller's scan.

To make matters worse? — I think it could be a counterfeit card. I will have to do more research on these 1989 Play Ball cards, because this one I received is thin and flimsy. It is not cardboard stock at all. It is more like poster paper.

Maybe this was the first gen of Play Ball cards and that is what they did. I do not know. I do not have any other 1989 Play Ball cards to compare with. I have at least 20 Play Ball cards from 1991 and they are normal cards. I think I have a couple from 1990, but I may be thinking of the Starz set.

OK, anyways I had to vent a bit on this board before I contacted the seller about how the card did not arrive as pristine as it looks in the photo.

Any help on the origin of the Play Ball cards from this era would be much appreciated!

I couldn't help myself because I am currently on a Griffey buying binge. I saw this card on eBay and I cannot find anything about it. I searched all over google, I found people with Griffey checklists that did not list it, and I searched this forum, as well as searching this thread, and still find nothing. I would not be surprised if someone else on this board was bidding the same card! It was only $3.26 + $3.00 shipping. I have seen a lot of variations of cards from '88 and '89, but have never even seen a photo of this one. Thanks for any info on the card. I hope it arrives in good shape!

1989 Play Ball #1 Griffey Jr.

View attachment 20689View attachment 20690