Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most $$$ spent on 1 purchase for your PC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Memorabilia wise, probably around $150-175 (gift, not a purchase - either for my early Griffey or Ripken ball from my mother).

Card-wise, $75 (1958 Mantle/Aaron PSA 4 last week).

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
tie: $300 for the Sonny Gray non-auto Super (probably overpaid in retrospect, but I used credit responsibly, took advantage of the 6 month Bill me Later promo, and paid it off in full by selling some prospects the two days after the recent draft--Matt Olson spurning the Dores allowed me to get a primo card of a Dore legend).

$300 for a 2012 David Price MLB Certified Game Used jersey. Now that it is a gamer from his Cy season, might be worth a touch more.

jtrinaldi

May 31, 2012
My High is $800 for 4 Gamers, additionally, in the same 3 month span I also spent another $300 on 2 other jerseys

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not one to will Kiss and Tell
But I can say I've Done Very Well :)
tonsofcommons said:
magicpapa said:
curio1.jpg

Most posted picture in FCB History?

90scurio5x.jpg

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
You should have those cards in a safe instead of sitting out just in case you get robbed or something. It's an amazing display but I would personally be worried with having that much money in cards just sitting around. Just my thoughts!;)

I'm not one to will Kiss and Tell
But I can say I've Done Very Well :)

90scurio5x.jpg

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
You should have those cards in a safe instead of sitting out just in case you get robbed or something. It's an amazing display but I would personally be worried with having that much money in cards just sitting around. Just my thoughts!;)

When one thinks about it, robbery isn't as much a concern with rare stuff as its easy to track on the market, fire and flood are bigger concerns.

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
Most I have dropped on a card is $150 (big spender I know) for a Sandberg auto/patch

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Most I have dropped on a card is $150 (big spender I know) for a Sandberg auto/patch

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX
Man anything over $100 is a lot of money for a card IMO lol... I've spent upwards of ~$250 or so for a Belle card I think, maybe less, but anything over $100 and I am taking big gulps before paying... that's just me... shocked some have spent $1000s but that's the love of the hobby!

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
Man anything over $100 is a lot of money for a card IMO lol... I've spent upwards of ~$250 or so for a Belle card I think, maybe less, but anything over $100 and I am taking big gulps before paying... that's just me... shocked some have spent $1000s but that's the love of the hobby!

Oh no doubt it's still expensive but compared to some others here it's peanuts. Just thinking of my wife's reaction after dropping a K on a card......*shivers*

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
That's true! I would be concerned with those reasons as well! That's why a fire-proof safe would be a good way to store someone's valuable cards!

When one thinks about it, robbery isn't as much a concern with rare stuff as its easy to track on the market, fire and flood are bigger concerns.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think that for some, the knowledge that they can recoup the funds if needed helps. I don't even want to think about the price of the cards in my sig (and any others I can pick up in the set) but I know that if a time came when I needed the cash I could move them and recoup at least a very large percentage (if not break even or profit.)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I think that for some, the knowledge that they can recoup the funds if needed helps. I don't even want to think about the price of the cards in my sig (and any others I can pick up in the set) but I know that if a time came when I needed the cash I could move them and recoup at least a very large percentage (if not break even or profit.)

In a way this is a scary thought as it sometimes encourages 'reckless spending' if you will; it also inflates the value of some cards. But as you point out this is how the hobby works for many people.

Makes one wonder: how much would cards cost if eBay (or something similar) wasn't available for the average hobbyist to sell on?

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
I definitely agree with you on this! I know I have spent a lot of money on my Griffey PC but wouldn't have done it any other way! I really enjoy the hobby and that's all that really matters to me in the end regardless of how much I have spent on my collection. A card is only worth what someone is willing to spend and that can be different from one collector to another. I always spend more on a card that I really want for my collection and if it adds value to the collection as a whole then that's all that really matters to me. It is interesting to think about how much cards would go without sources like eBay. I think it is a great way to buy and sell cards on a worldwide scale and as collectors we are definitely lucky to have that type of resource!:D

In a way this is a scary thought as it sometimes encourages 'reckless spending' if you will; it also inflates the value of some cards. But as you point out this is how the hobby works for many people.

Makes one wonder: how much would cards cost if eBay (or something similar) wasn't available for the average hobbyist to sell on?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

I agree with you on the first point especially since I think that in many cases people are fooling themselves on this issue (I know I've done in the past.) As I've been winding down the time I spend on cards, I've looked to try to identify sets that I really believe will retain (or increase in) value over the years and there's not that many choices that I am really confident about. Of course the price point on the set I am going for may mean I am dreaming if I think prices will go up, but I think it's a timeless set...

The second point is a really good question. I don't know the answer...

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011

THANK YOU you for posting this picture!!!!!!!! I remember having seen that before and I really want to purchase this display case or one like it, could you tell me where you got it?

On topic, I way over paid for the Brad Miller super auto, would rather not say how much. I did purchase a Francisco Lindor BDP Red Au /5 for $750, I graded it and sold the (9.5) rainbow for almost $2000.

Members online

Latest posts