Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
@magicpapa

Thanks for posting that article about the 1997 jersey cards, awesome read!

@
dschol87

You're right, as far as iconic cards that one definitely sparked the insert craze.
One of my favorite graded cards in my PC

photo.JPG

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

I'm looking for that top card, if anyone happens to have a extra ;)

The Plates go well with this piece, which was a BDay Gift From a few of The Great Members Here, the Plates were also a Gift from someone from my Cardboard Family

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I picked up this interesting item this week. It is a "proof" of the 1998 Upper Deck Game Jersey Autograph, Griffey's first ever autographed game jersey card. It is hole punched, and there is no numbering on the back. However, by reading the back of it, you can see that it was for the autographed copy. I'm not too interested in keeping it, since I mainly only collect pack-pulled cards. I also have no idea what it is worth. I'm throwing it up on ebay just to see if there is any significant interest in it, since it is a one of a kind collectible from a very note worthy issue.
IMG_0440.jpgIMG_0441.jpg

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
The one thing that has always bothered me about that Griffey article from Beckett is the image of the jersey they cut up. It can only be from 95 or 96 and since they don't show the ***** League patch from 95, I'm guessing its from 96. If that is in fact the jersey cut up for the cards, it has a big flaw for ANY Mariners jersey issued from the early 80's to '07. The fact that there is no nameplate on it is the red flag, while many card collectors/griffey collectors will think nothing of it, any legit Mariners gamer from this time frame has the name on a nameplate. Check your cards and books, you'll see the nameplate there every time.

Is it possible they had a jersey made up for him to wear for a game without the plate? sure, stranger things happen. I'm not saying it's fake but it is still highly questionable imo.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Got this from Brinn.. thanks!

03-pristine-gold-a.jpg
03-pristine-gold-b.jpg

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
i found this in my missilanios cards folder didnt even know i had it. i have a box of griffey's 2400+ all different that i got from buying a collection. still havnt went through it or made a check list. maybe this time i'm home on leave i'll spend a day takeing pics to bring back and log at another time.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
I picked up this interesting item this week. It is a "proof" of the 1998 Upper Deck Game Jersey Autograph, Griffey's first ever autographed game jersey card. It is hole punched, and there is no numbering on the back. However, by reading the back of it, you can see that it was for the autographed copy. I'm not too interested in keeping it, since I mainly only collect pack-pulled cards. I also have no idea what it is worth. I'm throwing it up on ebay just to see if there is any significant interest in it, since it is a one of a kind collectible from a very note worthy issue.
View attachment 18508View attachment 18509

1998 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr Game Jersey Auto Proof A Piece of The Action | eBay

Dat price listing :confused:

You bought it for about 30 bucks a couple weeks back, watched the auction end....

Not being a jerk or anything but a rule of thumb here is something is only worth what someone will pay for it, don't see the 1000 listing as even close to reasonable - but hey if some sucker buys it, quite a profit you made there.

Personally I feel the punch hole ruins the card proof or not.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
1998 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr Game Jersey Auto Proof A Piece of The Action | eBay

Dat price listing :confused:

You bought it for about 30 bucks a couple weeks back, watched the auction end....

Not being a jerk or anything but a rule of thumb here is something is only worth what someone will pay for it, don't see the 1000 listing as even close to reasonable - but hey if some sucker buys it, quite a profit you made there.

Personally I feel the punch hole ruins the card proof or not.

Um, yeah, I didn't buy it for $30. I made the seller an offer much higher than that, and he/she sold it at that price, not the opening bid price, which was around the $30 you are talking about. Before you call someone out like that, especially on a public forum, you should make very sure that you are correct. I stated that I have no idea what it is worth because I have never seen one. I also listed it at $999 or best offer, and all offers will be considered. If nobody offers anything more than $100 or so, then it is worth $100. There is only one way to find out though right? So, I did address that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think it is easily worth $200 or so.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Nice Game Jersey! Another iconic card: 93 Refractor. One of the most important sets of the 90s. First time major manufacturer released production figures. First unofficial "chrome" by Topps. Changed the hobby forever. Incredibly beautiful, too! For the early 90s, the visual appeal is amazing! Can't imagine pulling one of these back in the good ol' days...

I picked this on up from [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] , since then I've upgraded to a Non Graded one

Last edited:

Mainah

May 28, 2013
Maine
I don't have anything particularly special of Griffey's, but I figured I'd post up something I've been wondering about to see if anyone knows anything about it.

I have a 5"x7" Jumbo version of a 1991 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. #555 card. It looks just like the base card, except that instead of the home plate shaped upper deck hologram, it has a gray gradient diamond on the back.
It's hard to remember the exact details, since I was maybe 8 at the time, but I'm pretty sure it came in a box of 1994 Upper Deck Collector's Choice that I was given by my grandmother. I remember it being sandwiched between two sheets of styrofoam and placed either on top or below the packs in the box. The card survived 3 moves when I was a kid and 4 moves in more recent years. I had placed it in a binder by tearing out some of the seams in a 9-pocket holder, so that I was able to slide it into 4 of the slots. The image quality isn't that great, like they blew up an image of the card, instead of using original photos/artwork. It card stock is good quality, not flimsy or too thick, just like any other UD card at the time. I don't expect it to be worth anything much, especially considering it an awkward size of a base card. Just figured I'd post it up.

(Click to enlarge)
griffey front.jpg
griffey back.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
That would be what is called a Box Topper there were autoed ones as well
Definition: A box topper is an item inserted into a box of sports cards as an incentive for the purchase of the entire box. Box toppers are usually cards not available in packs of the product, but many items other than cards have been used in various products. A similar item inserted into a case of cards as an incentive is called a case topper.
$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWFYBRnt1mOdu!~~60_3.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts