Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Hit & Run Mayhem Challenge: March (COMPLETE)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Well from what I can gather, the marlins had 3 hits and the Red Sox in a cancelled game had one (Cardinals starter Lance Lynn allowed one hit in four innings. Boston's Rick Porcello gave up two runs and six hits in five innings.) I will claim hits for today if using stats from a cancelled game is allowed. Haha

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Well from what I can gather, the marlins had 3 hits and the Red Sox in a cancelled game had one (Cardinals starter Lance Lynn allowed one hit in four innings. Boston's Rick Porcello gave up two runs and six hits in five innings.) I will claim hits for today if using stats from a cancelled game is allowed. Haha

Hmmm...that seems like a unique situation. Looking at the MLB.com box scores it shows as cancelled, but the score is not signified with a letter F (final). I checked the main thread with the rules and all the posts as well as all the posts in this thread and couldn't find that scenario. So either it counts, or maybe it is a race to see who notices if the boxscore shows up as an actual FINAL score?

I really like seeing these really odd scenarios!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
@cjedmonton - I would like to claim today 03/23 with Houston scoring 10 runs for the 9 runs +/-4 square

@MrMet - The race is on for the week buddy!

Hell yeah. This is even more clearer as mud. Not sure how Houston scoring 10 runs today works for a target of 9 runs using the plus or minus 4 they would have had to have 5 or 13 runs scored would they not.

Wouldn't that be like
I'm claiming runs on March 23 2015 for a target of 9 runs
Because Atlanta scored 5 runs so plus or minus 4 = 9. Yeah I sure I'm wrong again this. One of the reasons sure people don't play this game. Since Alex gets to use new math for his answers :p:p

Richard

Last edited:

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Hell yeah. This is even more clearer as mud. Not sure how Houston scoring 10 runs today works for a target of 9 runs using the plus or minus 4 they would have had to have 5 or 13 runs scored would they not.

Wouldn't that be like
I'm claiming runs on March 23 2015 for a target of 9 runs
Because Atlanta scored 5 runs so plus or minus 4 = 9. Yeah I sure I'm wrong again this. One of the reasons sure people don't play this game. Since Alex gets to use new math for his answers :p:p

Richard

Close, your scoring would have been correct, but the RUNS square for today you could only use Houston Astros or Chicago White Sox (you noted Atlanta which they would not qualify since they are not listed on the square for today) or both combined together to get said target. You just have to remember how the targets work. For today since it was 9 runs +/-4 that means you can have any score from one or both teams combined but must be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 13. The +/- targets are the "friendliest" targets as you get multiple chances for one exact number. In this case you have 9 total chances of getting an exact number.

If today was -4 then you would HAVE to get 5 runs exactly as that target subtracts from the bolded scoring need. Or if it was +4 then you would HAVE to get 13 runs exactly. Anytime you have both +/- it will allow you to have multiple numbers to get an exact match on (hopefully that makes sense and doesn't cause other confusion :) ).
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION] posted a nice "nutshell" style posting that explained the targets that I will attempt to add on to (Chris - if any of this is incorrect just let me know right away and I'll edit it):

The categories include:

-MLB TEAM NAME: must use at least one of these teams to achieve the target stat
-RAINOUT: must eliminate one team shown that day
-DOUBLE HEADER: must count one team twice shown on that day
- (-) MINUS stat: must subtract the number next to the MINUS from the HIT or RUN target for that given day/square
- (+) PLUS stat: must add the number next to the PLUS symbol from the HIT or RUN target for that given day/square
- (-/+) MINUS and PLUS stat combined: provides a broader range for the target and allows a multiple range of targets for that given day/square which should make for an easier completion (see example posted above this key).

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Close, your scoring would have been correct, but the RUNS square for today you could only use Houston Astros or Chicago White Sox (you noted Atlanta which they would not qualify since they are not listed on the square for today) or both combined together to get said target. You just have to remember how the targets work. For today since it was 9 runs +/-4 that means you can have any score from one or both teams combined but must be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 13. The +/- targets are the "friendliest" targets as you get multiple chances for one exact number. In this case you have 9 total chances of getting an exact number.

If today was -4 then you would HAVE to get 5 runs exactly as that target subtracts from the bolded scoring need. Or if it was +4 then you would HAVE to get 13 runs exactly. Anytime you have both +/- it will allow you to have multiple numbers to get an exact match on (hopefully that makes sense and doesn't cause other confusion :) ).
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION] posted a nice "nutshell" style posting that explained the targets that I will attempt to add on to (Chris - if any of this is incorrect just let me know right away and I'll edit it):

The categories include:

-MLB TEAM NAME: must use at least one of these teams to achieve the target stat
-RAINOUT: must eliminate one team shown that day
-DOUBLE HEADER: must count one team twice shown on that day
- (-) MINUS stat: must subtract the number next to the MINUS from the HIT or RUN target for that given day/square
- (+) PLUS stat: must add the number next to the PLUS symbol from the HIT or RUN target for that given day/square
- (-/+) MINUS and PLUS stat combined: provides a broader range for the target and allows a multiple range of targets for that given day/square which should make for an easier completion (see example posted above this key).

<Throws arms in the air and walks out>
:(

Richard

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Hmmm...that seems like a unique situation. Looking at the MLB.com box scores it shows as cancelled, but the score is not signified with a letter F (final). I checked the main thread with the rules and all the posts as well as all the posts in this thread and couldn't find that scenario. So either it counts, or maybe it is a race to see who notices if the boxscore shows up as an actual FINAL score?

I really like seeing these really odd scenarios!

Unfortunately, this does not count. I just went to MLB.com's boxscore and the cancelled game between STL/BOS shows nothing for R/H/E. The game would have to be an official score (shortened or complete) to count.

This is a moot point anyway since Miami had 7 hits today, not 3. [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION] must have been looking at the runs column.

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
<Throws arms in the air and walks out>
:(

Richard

Please don't! I really appreciate your continued effort to give this game a chance.

[MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION] summed up everything nicely.

This is exactly how you interpret 99% of all dates. The only odd exceptions were addressed previously when you have a team playing a real-life doubleheader and or that date includes a doubleheader adjustment.

As promised, I will run this through April. If we don't get more participation, I'll put this to bed.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Please don't! I really appreciate your continued effort to give this game a chance.

[MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION] summed up everything nicely.

This is exactly how you interpret 99% of all dates. The only odd exceptions were addressed previously when you have a team playing a real-life doubleheader and or that date includes a doubleheader adjustment.

As promised, I will run this through April. If we don't get more participation, I'll put this to bed.

:lol: This is just like when I took Algebra in collge. Just when I thought I understood and caught up to the spaceship. They'd turn on the boosters and off the ship would go, leaving me floating around in space. :p:confused:;):eek::rolleyes:

Richard

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION] - I would like to claim today's date 03/26 for the 7 hits +3 square as the Seattle Mariners (versus Kansas City Royals) had 2 hits and the St. Louis Cardinals had 8 hits for a total of 10 hits :)

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
[MENTION=3744]cjedmonton[/MENTION] - I would like to claim today's date 03/26 for the 7 hits +3 square as the Seattle Mariners (versus Kansas City Royals) had 2 hits and the St. Louis Cardinals had 8 hits for a total of 10 hits :)

See, I was confused about that, since only one team had the +3, so I didn't know if you could apply it for all

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
See, I was confused about that, since only one team had the +3, so I didn't know if you could apply it for all

Remember, the +3 is not for the teams listed, it is +3 on top of the hits goal for the day. So it was a square for 7 hits, but with the +3 that actually requires an exact 10 hits ;) And remember, like today where it shows "any Missouri" that means it could be either Kansas City Royals or St. Louis Cardinals, but not both (at least from the last time I tried using both teams for the "any state" target). Keep going dude, you can mathematically catch up and dominate this month still :)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Remember, the +3 is not for the teams listed, it is +3 on top of the hits goal for the day. So it was a square for 7 hits, but with the +3 that actually requires an exact 10 hits ;) And remember, like today where it shows "any Missouri" that means it could be either Kansas City Royals or St. Louis Cardinals, but not both (at least from the last time I tried using both teams for the "any state" target). Keep going dude, you can mathematically catch up and dominate this month still :)

Nah remember Alex it's math :p

Richard

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

I thought if the +3 was on top of all the teams as in :
7 hits
+3
Rays
tigers
mets (yes I just made up any teams)

Then it could be applied to any team, but like it was:
7 hits
Any Missouri
Seattle
+3

Then I thought it only applied to Seattle, so any Missouri team needed 7 hits, but Seattle needed 10.

That's where my confusion came in.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I thought if the +3 was on top of all the teams as in :
7 hits
+3
Rays
tigers
mets (yes I just made up any teams)

Then it could be applied to any team, but like it was:
7 hits
Any Missouri
Seattle
+3

Then I thought it only applied to Seattle, so any Missouri team needed 7 hits, but Seattle needed 10.

That's where my confusion came in.

Yes, the confusion is understandable, but Alex has explained everything properly.

Any given date will have 3 random bits of info. They can be either teams, target adjustments, rainouts, or doubleheaders. All target adjustments apply directly to the original target immediately, and that new adjusted target applies to all teams shown on that date. The position of a target adjustment (top, middle, or bottom) is irrelevant.

Don't fret, April is devoid of any contrived "enhancements".

Last edited:

Members online