Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any Super Collectors out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huncrelan

Apr 14, 2010
Hello,
I am new to the hobby and a new collector. Question if I may. Where do you guys find these items? Especially these promos you have been talking about. Are there any good websites or price guides to find out what these promo cards are valued at?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
hc

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
"Value" is very very subjective with promos. Beckett or SCD doesn't list the really tough to promos half the time anyway, not to mention, they rarely have a clue on true value. I would love to pay full book on some of the promos they have listed. Umm, the 1990 Score Promo of Will Clark books for $5. That should explain just how wrong the guides can be. There is no true value of them, only worth what someone is willing to pay, and I speak from someone who was willing to pay quite a bit more than book on a lot of promos. Promos are fun to collect, both as a buyer, collector, seller or investor, but some promos are worthless too, so it takes a lot of knowledge and learning, and this site has helped a lot with that, for me anyway.

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010
Be interested in any McGwire cards.

More specifically the 1988 Score Promo & 1993 Cooperstown Promo card.

Thanks.

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
I wanted to offer up some documentation to the 1989 Scoremasters Promo collector. This is the original documentation I rec. from Score. It included 1 promo which had a blank back and the reason was explained in the letter below. I also included the order form which shows the original list of players which was later changed. For your info I rec. the Greg Jefferies and one other but I can't remember who the other player was. I don't have either card now so this info is only intended to help clear up the issue of counterfeit promos. Good luck finding you player from the checklist below.

Paul

1989Scoremasters.jpg

1989ScoremastersInfo.jpg

1989ScoremastersRipken.jpg

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
I hadn't opened a pack of cards in over 13 yrs. until today. I had a unopened pack of 1995 Select Certified Baseball in my box of promo cards. I wasn't sure if it contained promo/sample cards in the pack or just the regular issue since the outside box gave no clues. After opening it I found a sealed pack containing 8 cards, the top card was Cal Ripken Gold Team and the bottom was Ray Durham. Both cards have Sample written across them. Has anyone opened the pack in order to determine which player are on the other 6 cards. I will scan the pack front and back and post it later tonight where all can see.

Paul

cardcollector

Apr 25, 2010
I wish to give a belated "Thank You" to clarkfan for the information and time he spent to reply to my questions a few days back. I was celebrating my 41st anniversary and did not get a chance to reply in a timely manner. Your feedback and the time you took to answer a "newbie" is very much appreciated.

cardcollector

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
stanthemanfan said:
I heard there was a Nolan Ryan but the only one I can say for sure is the Clark. I can't remember who the second promo I received from Score was. If anyone out there has the Ryan lets see a scan of it.

Paul

There is a Ryan
It is not mine unfortunately, but it is the only one I have ever seen
1990_Score_Preview_80.jpg

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Also interested in this one if you happen to have one. Its the wrong company but hey you never know

1993_Flair_Promo_80.jpg

Sep 11, 2009
I have seen a couple 1993 Score Frank Thomas cards that are cropped differently than the normal everyday 1993 Score Thomas. In the auction they weren't listed as a promo and the auction didn't show the back. Anybody know if this is a true promo. Anybody have any input on this card.
promon.jpg

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
I checked to see if I still had my 1993 score baseball promo and I didn't. I checked my 1993 football and hockey promos and they both have sample card written in tiny red letters and highlighted yellow and it is located on the lower right corner on the back of the card opposite the score date and copyright. I can scan the football and hockey promo if you want to see the exact location.

Paul

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Sorry I missed the question about the Flair Ryan promo. I only bought direct from Fleer in 1987 and 1988 and I don't have any of those promos..

Good luck locating that one..

Paul

Members online

Latest posts