Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best pull I've ever pulled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I don't often open packs anymore, after 2 decades of not pulling anything nice. Recently though, maybe because of being home for a month or otherwise, I've started taking part in a couple of breaks. Figure it's a low-cost way to engage in a break, and the results are the same since I don't really pull anything :)

Recently I participated in a group break of 1997 Donruss Preferred. I had wanted to buy the Maddux slot, but it was already taken. When a Maddux Donruss Preferred Platinum was pulled, I was kinda bummed and ended up buying a box of 24 tins.

Got the tins in and they sat around for a few days as I decided if I would break them or not. I've been working insane hours trying to keep the business moving forward and it's thrown off my sleep schedule. So I was up at around 4 AM and figured it was a good time to open the box.

The box was 24 blister packs (the retail-type packs in the impossible-to-open plastic pressed sleeves, so I started opening the box. The way 1997 Donruss Preferred was designed, the cards come in little tins. Inside each tin is a plastic wrapping and the cards are inside. Opening the plastic sleeves it was clear that 23 years moving around in a tin did not do favors to the card's corners. Worked through 21 of the packs, with loads of dinged corners, some miscut. Was feeling pretty bad about the whole thing and opened the tins of the last 3 packs and stacked all the cards together before flipping through.

Went through the first of the 3 packs and still nothing. In the second, at some crazy time in the middle of the night, I pulled this card. Best card I've ever pulled by a long shot.

Attachments

• Griffey 1997 Precious Metals Back.jpg
    Griffey 1997 Precious Metals Back.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • Griffey 1997 Precious Metals.jpg
    Griffey 1997 Precious Metals.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 83

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
OH WOw! Big pull there. A lot of Griffey Jr collectors will probably be PM's you for that one.

Fordman

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Wow! Incredible pull! Nice job...that's a few extra stimulus checks right there. If ya don't mind me asking, what did the box set you back?

I was in that break where the Maddux was pulled; that was fun!

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Wow! Awesome pull. It's pulls like this that gives me the itch to find some early 2000's boxes to break.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is the upside (or downside, depending on how you see it) of inserts, RCS or SPs in general that sit hidden within modern era card products that remain unopened. With vintage you are hoping for the star as well as op condition cards in general that have dried up over time, but you are not going to find a card that nobody hasn't already seen many times over like you would in a case like this.

Modern unopened relies on the special hits to fuel the prices, but odds can be far beyond what it is worth to take a chance at a slim hit that pays off. The other concern is for expiring redemptions and I don't know if it still an issue, but some of the 90s glossy cards ended up sticking together in packs, leaving a very disappointing experience when boxes were opened up years later.

I am not a fan of unopened in general myself, with the exception of stars showing on top of racks/cellos. I have saved a stash of Garvey on top packs that I will not open but I do also have a couple Donruss Preferred tins (Frank Thomas mostly, from a previous player collection). There, the value to me is in the unopened pack you can see, not what might be in it. I guess it doesn't help that I have a hard time fighting the urge to open anything sealed, so I couldn't stockpile unopened stuff like some people can. I definitely attribute this to the fact that I collect first. Monetary value is secondary and since I have no plans to stockpile anything unopened for future gain, why bother leaving a perfectly good pack unopened?

It's hard to say it with the older stuff that is extremely limited, as it is neat (and significant due to low supply) to think of stuff from the 60s and older in unopened form, but packs were meant to be opened! The 70s and 80s are being saved at a much greater rate, although you do still see people buying and cracking older stuff too. Maybe the 90s eventually catches up a little to where someone will actually care about an unopened box of 1992 Donruss, but as I stated in the beginning of my thought, it would only be for the possible Elite pull.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks guys! It is crazy that it sat in an unopened pack for that long. Not sure what I am going to do with it at this point, but enjoying having it!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Wow! Incredible pull! Nice job...that's a few extra stimulus checks right there. If ya don't mind me asking, what did the box set you back?

I paid around $150 for the box, though the seller commented in a Facebook thread that he was selling them for $200 and had no idea why he even accepted my offer. (Good thing for me as I don't know if I would have bought it at $200.)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

Would have a hard time breaking that Thomas gold tin seal for the slim chance at something better that keeping that sealed gold tin!

Members online

Latest posts