Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buying items listed on ebay off ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deflection. We're not talking about how moral and upstanding ebay is. We're talking about how using a service and not paying for it is stealing. By this logic it's okay to shoplift from Wal-Mart because they don't pay their workers much and sell products made in questionable circumstances in China? Is it okay to steal cable because Comcast are a-holes? Just because the company has done some bad stuff doesn't make this okay...if you don't like the company, feel free to do business elsewhere. Don't use their service then not pay their agreed-upon fee. LOL you really do fancy yourself a Robin Hood. Keep fighting the good fight against those evil corporations, one FVF at a time!

The mental image I am getting is more of Friar Tuck.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Still wondering why you continue to completely ignore the reason I stated for continuing to buy from ebay sellers. Keep going though. I find it amusing that you care so much about all this. : )

You support sellers of a service that you claim steals from them?

you're only making the problem worse, no? you keep lining their pockets as you continue to be amused that no one wants to talk about it...

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You support sellers of a service that you claim steals from them?

you're only making the problem worse, no? you keep lining their pockets as you continue to be amused that no one wants to talk about it...

That's why they are in litigation. Hopefully they will stop stealing from sellers if the courts find that they are doing wrong. Yes, I still buy from ebay sellers. So what? Why would I punish innocent ebay sellers for ebay's injustices. I really don't get your "point". I'm not the one on a high horse here. Maybe re-read the thread to find out who those people are. Or just look in a mirror.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
To me a good comparison would be having someone sell your cards on consignment.
You agree that said person lists the cards and takes care of everything, scanning, listing, packaging and postage for a set fee.
In your agreement said person receives a percentage of the final sale price as well.
Per the agreement you pay said person 5.00 to take care of all the listing/delivering details but use your paypal addy in the auction with the agreement you pay said person their percentage after payment has been made.
Now, you decide not to pay said person their percentage.
Does that clear things up?
David

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
To me a good comparison would be having someone sell your cards on consignment.
You agree that said person lists the cards and takes care of everything, scanning, listing, packaging and postage for a set fee.
In your agreement said person receives a percentage of the final sale price as well.
Per the agreement you pay said person 5.00 to take care of all the listing/delivering details but use your paypal addy in the auction with the agreement you pay said person their percentage after payment has been made.
Now, you decide not to pay said person their percentage.
Does that clear things up?
David

A consignor does all the work and is in possession of the product. That's what you are paying them for. When you sell on ebay, you do all the work and are in possession of the product. Not really a good comparison.

The only thing you OWE ebay is a listing fee, if applicable, and a final value fee if the item sells on ebay. Other than that, they have no right to anything. Once you end the listing, regardless as to why, you are releasing yourself from any obligation to ebay other than the listing fee. That's just how it is and there is nothing anyone can say that will change that. Did you "use" ebay, sure. But no laws were broken. Nothing illegal happened. No one "stole" anything. You just went against ebay's terms of service and they have every right to kick you off their site for doing so, if they so please.

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Not to throw gas on this fire (and maybe the point will be dismissed), but does it make any difference that you can run auctions for different lengths of time? Is there a difference if I end my auction early to sell somewhere else. or choose a short listing in the beginning?

I don't really have a point, but I'm wondering if it means anything to anyone.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Not to throw gas on this fire (and maybe the point will be dismissed), but does it make any difference that you can run auctions for different lengths of time? Is there a difference if I end my auction early to sell somewhere else. or choose a short listing in the beginning?

If this is about ending live auctions early, then to me that IS bad, especially if there is a bid, While I am on the OK to sell off eBay on a BIN, if I run auctions then they should run their course..

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
The topic is about people saying it's stealing from ebay when they sell off ebay even know it's the person's item to begin with so to me you can't steal your own item

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

There's no issue with ending a BIN early and selling it somewhere else as long as you're not ending it to sell to somebody who found the item using ebay. Ending an auction with active bids on it early to sell it elsewhere (assuming you're not selling it to somebody who found it using ebay) is a different issue than we're talking about here. So I don't really know where you're going with the short-duration listing question.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The topic is about people saying it's stealing from ebay when they sell off ebay even know it's the person's item to begin with so to me you can't steal your own item

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

How many times do I have to say you aren't stealing your own item, you're stealing the service ebay provided to you? Can you not understand at all where I am coming from? Do you not get that a service has a monetary value?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
There's no issue with ending a BIN early and selling it somewhere else as long as you're not ending it to sell to somebody who found the item using ebay. Ending an auction with active bids on it early to sell it elsewhere (assuming you're not selling it to somebody who found it using ebay) is a different issue than we're talking about here. So I don't really know where you're going with the short-duration listing question.

I didn't mean to say auction, I meant BIN.

BUt I'm not sure where I was going with it either...

Something along the lines of "If we're paying eBay for the exposure and sale with FVFs, why don't we pay different rates for different lengths of exposure?"

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What about sniping programs? Their sole purpose is to keep the price as low as possible, thus reducing FVFs. I know that's buyers, not sellers (as to the point of this thread), but it's still another case of paying eBay less than maybe you "should".

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What about sniping programs? Their sole purpose is to keep the price as low as possible, thus reducing FVFs. I know that's buyers, not sellers (as to the point of this thread), but it's still another case of paying eBay less than maybe you "should".

I'd argue that is their sole purpose... Also not sure eBay owns any outright

Ryan

Ryan

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I didn't mean to say auction, I meant BIN.

BUt I'm not sure where I was going with it either...

Something along the lines of "If we're paying eBay for the exposure and sale with FVFs, why don't we pay different rates for different lengths of exposure?"

Okay I totally see where you are going now. No price difference for different lengths of exposure is a pricing decision made by ebay (just like the decision to have listing fees plus FVF's, instead of just listing fees or just FVF's) so we could only speculate about why they made that decision. I believe that for auctions at least 10-day listings used to cost more than 1-3-5-7 day listings, but I can't find if that's still the case.

Using a sniping program is no different than sitting at your keyboard and entering the same bid with a few seconds to go. I can't see what's wrong about that unless you want to argue that it's not fair to people who don't use sniping programs. The amount you decide to bid and when you place can't be considered stealing in any way.

Members online

Latest posts