Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Zambrano Traded to the Marlins For Chris Volstad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I think the Cubs did great with this trade. It was definitely time for Z to go. Good moves so far by Theo

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
mchenrycards said:
The Tribune is reporting that the Cubs have to pay 3 million of the 18 Zambrano is owed. I am liking this deal. They didnt get robbed by the Marlins by having to kick in the majority of Zambrano's salary and they got the clubhouse cancer out of town.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 6252.story

I believe it is the opposite, the Cubs are on the hook for 15 of the 18 million owed.

Edit: Here is the ESPN link. I think the Tribune has it backwards.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... mi-marlins

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Re: Big Z (Likely) Headed to the Marlins

Pastretta said:
David Campos said:
gt2590 said:
That puts three of the Biggest Egos in the League in the same Locker Room. Four, if you count the Manager.

Zambrano
Hanley
???

Guillen

Curious who you think is the 4th?

Jose Reyes? Thats my only guess....It may work and they might cope with one another.

Reyes is a pretty reserved character. I would presume this was about Logan Morrison. Could be wrong though.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
mchenrycards said:
The Tribune is reporting that the Cubs have to pay 3 million of the 18 Zambrano is owed. I am liking this deal. They didnt get robbed by the Marlins by having to kick in the majority of Zambrano's salary and they got the clubhouse cancer out of town.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 6252.story

If Cubs are only stuck paying 3 million of that deal. Theo with a steal. I figured at best Cubs would paying half or more of any money left to Z.

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Re: Big Z (Likely) Headed to the Marlins

Zymco said:
Pastretta said:
David Campos said:
gt2590 said:
That puts three of the Biggest Egos in the League in the same Locker Room. Four, if you count the Manager.

Zambrano
Hanley
???

Guillen

Curious who you think is the 4th?

Jose Reyes? Thats my only guess....It may work and they might cope with one another.

Reyes is a pretty reserved character. I would presume this was about Logan Morrison. Could be wrong though.

I guess we will never trully know :cool:

Cool Volstad one of the newest Cubs. :)

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
If Big Z is going to control his emotions the only guy who he'll do it for is Ozzie. They used to go out to dinner after the chi sox and cubs played so they are buddies. It also helps that they are both from Venezula.

I actually like this trade for the Marlins and am excited to see Big Z in the #5 spot in the rotation.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
ChasHawk said:
Cubs are paying $15 million, so this is not "cutting payroll" by any stretch.

If its true that the Cubs are paying 15 of the 18 million (and I am sure they are, the Tribune obviously got it wrong), I am more inclined to hate this deal. They should have eaten the contract and stick his butt in the bullpen for the next few years.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
mchenrycards said:
ChasHawk said:

If its true that the Cubs are paying 15 of the 18 million (and I am sure they are, the Tribune obviously got it wrong), I am more inclined to hate this deal. They should have eaten the contract and stick his butt in the bullpen for the next few years.

That sounds like a Hendry move. There is no point to keeping him and getting nothing in return when he doesn't fit into their future plans anyways.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Zambrano38 said:
mchenrycards said:
ChasHawk said:

That sounds like a Hendry move. There is no point to keeping him and getting nothing in return when he doesn't fit into their future plans anyways.

Yeah you might be right about that!! Its still hard to get happy about getting rid of a guy and paying someone 15 million to take him off your hands. Mark my words, he is going to come back and let the Cubs have it on more than one occasion this coming summer and do it while taking their money!!!

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
All I can say is thank God!
Big Z was fun to watch pitch in his prime no doubt, but hard telling these days what kind of performance he will get you. Back in the day he had no hitter potential every outing. I still wish D Lee would have knocked him out a couple years ago.

1988RedSox

Feb 16, 2009
Maine
Is it possible for there to be a huge brawl, involving just one team's bench? Because the Marlins have the perfect formula for one.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
great move by Miami... Zambrano playing for a coach he likes for only $3 mil this year? low risk / high reward for a 5th starter

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Big Z certainly had his day of quality pitching for the Cubs but those days are long gone. I think it's a great move by the Cubs, it frees up $3M, while not a lot, better than nothing and you got him out of the organization, which is a double plus. Theo is not making any big splashes but is slowly making changes that will benefit the Cubs long term.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Like it for both teams, excited to see Volstad pitch against the Cardinals. Hopefully he can be a #3 or #4. He just turned 25, so him and Wood should be good mid-rotation starters.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
MacK said:
Like it for both teams, excited to see Volstad pitch against the Cardinals. Hopefully he can be a #3 or #4. He just turned 25, so him and Wood should be good mid-rotation starters.

I'm going to miss Big Z!

Members online

Latest posts