Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dimitri Young selling his PSA 10 rookie card collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
ballerskrip said:
I would love an explanation on WHY IN THE HELL PSA would put Dmitri Young's name on flip????? That is stupid. I wouldn't want a slab with his freaking name on it.
I wouldn't want a slab with your name on it, either!

Crazy!!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
ChasHawk said:
matchpenalty said:
ballerskrip said:
I would love an explanation on WHY IN THE HELL PSA would put Dmitri Young's name on flip????? That is stupid. I wouldn't want a slab with his freaking name on it.
I like it. Kind of nice history foot note to the card. Knowing that it once was part of the greatest PSA 10 rookie collection ever put together. A little value add.

Maybe tbp or GC knows. What other collections has PSA put the name of it on flip? I want to say Fogel collection got the treatment.
I know it's big in coin grading to do that type of stuff.
1963ToppsPSAAuthenticAuto.jpg
5_Macaulay_Culkin.jpg

Is that from the Kevin MacAlister collection?

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know his reasons for selling this part of his collection. But, I can tell you that he has spent a good amount on some very high end RC's of his brother recently. My guess is that Dimitri was smart with his money and is doing OK.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I agree that it would be pretty cool to own a card that Young had in his collection and have it on the slab. Wouldn't bother me in the least. If I was able to purchase a PSA 10 Clemente RC, the words on the slab couldn't mean any less to me.

its sad that hes selling it.

any guess on the ballpark price the 500
cards are worth?

i dont know how much he made playing but
im guessing he spent or invested the
majority building this beast??

either he did it for the flip down the road
or he is in money trouble??

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:

cards are worth?

Baseball Reference showed he earned $52M over the course of his career.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
ballerskrip said:

The collector requests to have their name put on the flip and PSA does it; PSA does not just "do this" on a whim.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
MacK said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

cards are worth?

I doubt he spent the majority of his $$$$ buliding this collection, although im sure his collection is worth over a million

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Hasn't he been "selling" this collection for atleast a few years? I saw something about it at the last Baltimore National.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
MacK said:
[quote="Big Mac McGwire":1iwb31el]its sad that hes selling it.

cards are worth?

I doubt he spent the majority of his $$$$ buliding this collection, although im sure his collection is worth over a million[/quote:1iwb31el]

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It'd be ridiculous for an athlete to spend over half his earnings on sports cards.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
matchpenalty said:
ballerskrip said:

I like it. Kind of nice history foot note to the card. Knowing that it once was part of the greatest PSA 10 rookie collection ever put together. A little value add.

Maybe tbp or GC knows. What other collections has PSA put the name of it on flip? I want to say Fogel collection got the treatment.
I know it's big in coin grading to do that type of stuff.

This, for me(bolded), is why I wouldn't mind having his name on the slabs. Maybe he just got bored with it? Maybe he couldn't sustain it and figured if he couldn't, he might as well get rid of it. I know that is why I mostly ditched my comics. Hell...if I'd have kept going I'd be able to build a house out of comic books.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
There are people that pay BGS $3/card to put stuff like "3 color patch auto" or "serial # 01/50" on the labels all the time.

Either you think it is a nice feature or you don't like it and have them relabel the card for a few bucks.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
miguelcabrera said:
wait wait, are you guys serious? i thought we were all kind of joking around together because we are good friends on here? have you guys been mocking me? wow i have nothing left to live for now :( :(

In seriousness, I think your sig would look better only with a wider pic of the Cabrera Finest cards.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
matchpenalty said:
http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5445&universeid=314

good story on collection when he was really into it. Says each card had it's own customized $2,500 bulletproof holders????

Pretty sure it's the cases that were used to carry the cards that cost $2500, not the indivdual card cases. Looks like they just missed a comma after 'card holders'.

But Dmitri's real fun comes from continuing to build his collection that travels in customized bullet proof cases, with suede linings and individual card holders that cost $2,500 a piece.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
CGC, the comic book slab company, puts the "pedigree" notation on books that came from notable collections. Most of them are from original-owner Golden Age collections, such as the Mile High collection, and a premium is generally paid for a Mile High book, and a couple others, even above their astounding condition, which is what made the collections so noteworthy to begin with. But the pedigree label has been pretty watered down in the last couple years as more collections of less and less renown are discovered and broken up. The Nic Cage collection was also pedigreed, for instance, even though he simply bought nice books and didn't own them his whole life.

Baseball cards are slightly different, I guess in that a collection of 100 or so cards isn't that special, even if they are in pristine condition and still collected by their original owner in the 30s. But a collection of thousands would be pretty tough to keep track of as far as a pedigree. I suppose any grading company would do it if you paid them, and it might be interesting to see if the Young collection (or something like the Halper collection) would be something people keep track of like they do with the Mile High collection in comics.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
ballerskrip said:

Maybe mistaken here, but I thought PSA did the same thing years ago when Gretzy that Wagner tobacco card.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
SINFULONE said:
ballerskrip said:

Try reading the damn thread.

Access from iPod only right now.Accidentally hit wrong button.Thanks for your insight though.

(Good grief...)

Members online