Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Disappointments of the Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
numba1yankeefan said:
pretty much all of my player collections. Most notably Casey McGehee and Francisco Liriano.

Yeah, but those guys, IMO, are still pretty decent; so you can buy, buy, buy while their prices are depressed.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
mancini79 said:
Easily Vernon Wells.
BA: .201, OBP: .234, SLG: .365
At current rate, he will end with the lowest OBP in the past 20+ years. He has also been suspect in LF. Horrible numbers for any player, let alone getting paid $23m this year.

How did I forget him. His OBP is 112 points lower than Adrian Gonzalez's batting average!

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
John Lackey and Chris Johnson. Lackey has been a struggle while Johnson has his chance shine in a weak Astros team has more lows than highs.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Ryan The Orange said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Ryan & George,

We are going to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years. Do you find that acceptable with the talent we've had?

We are 12-11 since the Rasmus trade and we gave away a 23 y/o CFer that we controlled until 2014 to make a playoff run. Every baseball mind said the Jays got a great deal. Only Cardinals fans thought it was a good trade and the only way I would have been able to say it was OK was if we actually made the playoffs.

I'm ready for a regime change

I'm with you on the regime change. I want TLR gone just as much as the next guy. I would have liked to have seen him go before this year began.

I think we have underachieved in the 4 out of 5 years, but I think the Brewers are just a flat out better team than us.

As for my stance on Rasmus, as I have said, I thought it was the right deal for a win-now approach. Rasmus had not been producing, and his dad was causing all sorts of problems. Three years from now, we might regret it. Unfortunately, the win-now approach just didn't work.

Now, you have to take into consideration that I have been critical of Rasmus from the start. I have never been a fan of his, and I have always thought he strikes out way too much and plays horribly lazy defense. Perhaps if I liked him more I would be more critical of the trade.

I'm reminded of the old Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are." Once the Cards lost Wainwright, I didn't see how they could win substantially more games than their 86 victories in 2010. It's tough to replace your number one starter with your number 6 and be a better team. Lance Berkman's bat has helped them sustain their level despite losing Wain-O, but they weren't going to be an improved team. Thus, I don't think the Cards are a disappointment because they've performed about as well as can be expected. I use similar logic for the Cubs. I figured they had a pretty good chance of stinking again and they do, so it's not really a disappointment.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
James52411 said:
I'm reminded of the old Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are." Once the Cards lost Wainwright, I didn't see how they could win substantially more games than their 86 victories in 2010. It's tough to replace your number one starter with your number 6 and be a better team. Lance Berkman's bat has helped them sustain their level despite losing Wain-O, but they weren't going to be an improved team. Thus, I don't think the Cards are a disappointment because they've performed about as well as can be expected. I use similar logic for the Cubs. I figured they had a pretty good chance of stinking again and they do, so it's not really a disappointment.

Great post. +1

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
Ryan The Orange said:
mancini79 said:
Easily Vernon Wells.
BA: .201, OBP: .234, SLG: .365
At current rate, he will end with the lowest OBP in the past 20+ years. He has also been suspect in LF. Horrible numbers for any player, let alone getting paid $23m this year.

How did I forget him. His OBP is 112 points lower than Adrian Gonzalez's batting average!
Plus he is blocking Mike Trout!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
How does Burnett have a lower ERA than Lackey?

AJ Burnett must just seem "absolutely horrible" while he only performs "horrible".

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Joe Mauer... he is gonna end up stealing 184 million $$$ from Twins for next 8 years. Thanks for the hometown discount Joe.
Morneau been brutal.
Nishioki looks like another Japan player bust.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Twins difficult season......Justin Morneau justing coming back after almost a year.....with all of the injuries...bound for one bad season. Best regards, David

Members online

Latest posts