Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Famous Box Breaker and former BMB member announces retirement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Even though he hasn't pitched since 2018, Phil Hughes announced his retirement yesterday.

I still remember all the excitement when he joined the Beckett Message Board.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I won a contest he did on the BMB. It was for a GU hat of his. I correctly identified his first roommate as Estee Harris. I ended up trading the had to a more ardent Yankees fan, but still kinda wish I had it.

Screenshot_20200325-104021_Photobucket.jpeg

Fast forward a few years and he signs with/is traded to (can't remember!) the Twins. I briefly met him at a photo station during Twinsfest and got to tell the story to him. Always seemed like a cool guy.

Screenshot_20210104-220108_Photobucket.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When I first saw this title, I was not thinking a player. I thought someone was talking about a card dealer! Hahah.

I think a pro player/collector makes for a pretty neat story. Of course with the cash those guys make, even at league minimum, it puts them into a top tier category of card collecting ability. Not saying they would/do spend a ton on cards, but when you make at least half million a year, you certainly could do so easily if your spending was not on overdrive elsewhere. I manage to spend a fair amount myself and I make nothing near MLB league minimum!!

Having the access to teammates and other opponents too is just incredible to imagine as a collector. I have to guess that it is pretty common for them to seek out the better players to try to meet/trade gear/get autos or whatever.

According to bb reference, he made around $80M in his career. Not too shabby for roughly 3 decent seasons. He played long enough to get on the HOF ballot too, something not a large percentage of all-time players can even say. If he was/is smart with his money, he is set for life at age 34!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Having the access to teammates and other opponents too is just incredible to imagine as a collector. I have to guess that it is pretty common for them to seek out the better players to try to meet/trade gear/get autos or whatever.

According to bb reference, he made around $80M in his career. Not too shabby for roughly 3 decent seasons. He played long enough to get on the HOF ballot too, something not a large percentage of all-time players can even say. If he was/is smart with his money, he is set for life at age 34!

He tells some cool stories about teammates when he pulls their cards. His career as a player definitely adds a dynamic to his breaks that most breakers just don't have.

He won a World Series and was an All-Star too. He had the career most of us dreamed about when we were playing in Little League.

Members online