Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
if anyone is going after the griffey gamer fielding glove by mears on ebay. i think mears messed up and dont think its game used because the upsidedown trapeze. there are threads on it in the past unless anyone found actual proff that its game used

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
There's a few ebay auctions of tougher Griffey inserts ending tonight (Leather & Lumber, Rave Reviews, Mantle Autograph, Hot Gloves, Triumvirates). Plus I hear that seller is really really good-looking and runs several non-profit organizations that save puppies and baby dolphins.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
On another note, HI EVERYONE. My name is David and I'm a lifelong Griffey fan. I came across this post to defend someone, but reading back a few [hundred] pages, it seems like a great group of people, and I might stick around for a while. So, lets start it with this:

I have an extra 97 Donruss Elite Leather/Lumber Griffey for trade. Looking for a similarly-valued Griffey from the 90s.

$_1.JPG

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Welcome, David! I've bought some Griffeys from you recently; good to see you here on the boards.

FriarG - thanks for the brief ylaf story.

Medoogan

Apr 4, 2014
Hi everybody. First time reader, first time writer.

Can't say I read any forums, but it was mentioned to me by someone that I was name dropped here so I came over for a view. I don't usually get involved in things, but as I was directly mentioned to be participating in poor practices, I felt I'd give some thoughts. My thanks to anyone that defended my good name, some of you I recognize, some of you I don't. And maybe I shouldn't bring this back up at all, but my name has been sullied, so I ask forgiveness from anyone tired of this particular thread. And I'll be repeating some of what's already been said, I apologize, but I want to still be thorough in my thoughts and responses.

Let's get to know me... I'm 40, married 19 years, 3 kids, and a dog. I've collected Junior since 1989 when I was 15 (so I'm 40 now). Back in '89, a friend of mine and I were going through our '89 Donruss, and I just happened to have Griffey, who was worth a whopping $5!! To a poor kid, a $5 card is a big deal, and I decided on the spot I'd collect this guy. It worked out okay, my bud had a Sheffield, and he decided to collect Sheffield. I got way lucky.

Due to circumstances in and out of my control, I've decided to sell my collection. It's bittersweet, but it's the right thing to do.

So, let's get to business...

Not that anyone would admit to it, but I don't shill. I've been selling off my Junior collection since November. Yep, except for the week of New Year's, I've had at least 100 Junior auctions (up to 200+) running every, single week. I'm so sick of ebay right now, heh heh. I'm sure I've had plenty of people suspect and complain to ebay about my potential shilling or some habit they didn't like, but I reckon if ebay thought I was doing something shady, they'd have warned me, and/or simply shut me down. I've not heard a peep from them, as evidenced by my continuing listing habits and sales numbers. If everyone pays and I cancel little to no auctions, it's probably a good sign that there's no shilling involved, right? I dunno, I don't sit around plotting how to take advantage of people and beat the system. I can see how some might take the easy route of accusing me of shilling because of some of my unusual sale prices, but if anyone would do some actual work and look at the whole of my auctions, not just the most unusual examples, you'll see I have a large number of unique bidders and buyers on winning and losing items. Why in the world would I shill an item 5-10x (as stated) the "normal" selling amount? If I were shilling, wouldn't I just try to get a few dollars over? It would be foolish for me to try to get $50 for a card that should "normally" sell for $15, right? If I shill a card up to $50 and wind up winning it, then I'm stuck with a $4.50 ebay fee, that's going to raise alarms if I cancel a lot of them when they end. Folks, it's simply 2-3 people who want a particular card and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get it.

I don't need to sell anyone's else's cards, I have plenty of my own. You can see I've been a member since 1999. That's a lot of time to buy, and not just on ebay, I've bought from other sites, individuals online, in person, card shows in my state, and various card shops around town. I'm just like any other rabid collector out there, I've bought singles I need, singles I don't, lots I need, lots I don't need, doubles I don't need if it's a good price, bad price, etc etc. I turn loose of some doubles I have from time to time to free up some cash, but nothing like I'm doing now. It's all going, my individuals and doubles. My listing habits have varied. I have my main collection I've been working on selling, going right from the front to the back. I also will randomly throw in runs of doubles from various years as I come across them. I'm so horribly disorganized. I have a sportscard collection in general of half a million cards. Working a full time with required overtime job with a big family keeps me hopping, and being organized just isn't a strong suit in general for me, even worse with my cards. When I started, I had 5 x 5000 count boxes FULL of Junior, commons and inserts, in either penny sleeves, top loaders, or screw downs. Most were my main collection of unique cards, but there's another good box and a half of completely disorganized Junior cards. So what do I do for variety? I take a break from listing my main collection front to back, pull out a couple hundred doubles, put them in order, and then auction those. It's nice to mix things up mentally from time to time. It's also smart business-wise to not list all of my doubles with my uniques at the same time. For example, if I have 3 1996 topps chrome refractors, isn't there a better chance I get more by selling them individually with a couple of weeks between them rather than all 3 in one night? Of course I'll make more money with them spread apart. And I'll admit to an even greater crime... I still buy on ebay to resell if the price is right. I suspect that many of us here do it, so I won't judge myself too harshly for it.

So the $64,000 question is why am I getting some usual prices? I dunno. If I did, I'd auction ebay selling secrets rather than Junior cards. As has already been said, I've developed a huge, loyal following since November. I also give EXCELLENT customer service. I'll give free and discounted shipping left and right (especially if I'm running a day or two late), also if you're not happy with your card, I pay for your return shipping fee, I also refund people any double shipping fees without being asked, I pay attention to every detail I can, I'm not afraid to apologize, I'm friendly and chatty with anyone, and even though I say I won't, I do give people extra time to pay. I have also cancelled some auctions for folks with no questions from me when they've been honest in needing it. I use clean toploaders with masking tape, in tracked bubble mailers. It's also the start of the baseball season. And Junior is going into the Hall next year. Junior's value is exploding. 90's inserts are exploding. There's a whole myriad of reasons... I'm just fortunate enough for everything to have come together as it has in this bittersweet time of my selling.

I want to publicly say thanks to Goobmcnasty. I know I made him grit his teeth when I first started selling everything. If there was anything I could screw up accidentally with a number of his auctions, I found it. I lost a card, shipped too early, shipped too late, double charged shipping, forgot discussions we had, etc, but I did everything I could to make things right with him. David, I appreciate your standing up for me, and your continued purchases.

I'm not asking for anyone to respond, I don't think it's necessary, this is simply a wall of text to defend and explain myself casually and reasonably, even though I don't think I needed to. You now have some personal insight to my life that you didn't deserve, don't want, don't need, or maybe you welcome it, etc. But, that's just who I am. I'm pretty laid back, casual, and sincere about who I am, and that extends into what I do in all things, ebay included. it's insulting and a little painful for anyone to think ill of me who doesn't know me, although that is the typical human response, to think poorly of someone first, so I don't completely fault anyone for being human. I hope I've given anyone who questions me a different line of thought to consider, and for anyone who doesn't know me, I hope I've given you a good first impression. I don't see myself responding to any commentary here publicly, but if anyone wants to message me via ebay's message system, I welcome any questions or commentary. Thank you all for your time, I appreciate anyone here who's purchased from me and has been satisfied, and I greatly appreciate anyone new who may pick up a thing or three from me.

In proof reading this... wow... I'm long winded, too. Read it here, or wait for the movie version. =)

Come check my auctions... at least 100 every week until I'm completely out!

Respectfully Yours,
Medoogan - Thomas W.

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Ah yes, the before time.

Our "eBay-tionship" got off to a slightly-rocky start. Things happened, through no fault of his own, that were a little frustrating. But Thomas went above and beyond to make sure I was completely satisfied with the outcome. (One time this included refunding $ from an auction that closed a month before, because I was indecisive on the resolution.) It says a lot when someone is willing to go the extra mile to right wrongs, big or small. I'll tell you what, it's a lot more difficult to earn someone's trust and respect when you're starting out in the hole. But Thomas (medoogan) did.

I love and hate his auctions. He has the greatest variety of Griffey cards (common and rare) of any seller I've ever come across. Because of that, sometimes his prices get out of hand, far above what you'd normally expect them to hit. Many times, much higher than I can afford. At one point, I raised my eyebrow at some of the prices. But when I took a step back (away from the frustration of losing a sweet auction) it made sense as to why his auctions end so high.

But as of today, I have no reason to doubt anything about Thomas' character or integrity. He has plenty of both. And even though I wish some of his auctions ended lower, I'm happy to see such a decent human being benefit from it.

I

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
I believe I've bought from several of you on Ebay before, did a bit of Googling and stumbled across this forum as I knew there had to be an outlet for all of us to talk/trade/etc

My ebay name is kidnaround6 for those that have bought/sold to me before. Just wanted to pop in and say hi!

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Wanted to thank dr_mcarthy for working with me on some of his auctions (great user) picked up this as well as a couple 1996 Stadium Club cards that I needed to complete my Rainbow Set (will post complete rainbow after work)
photo 1 (10).jpg

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Sorry for the semi-low quality pic but I believe I have all the 1996 stadium club variations including the Mantle Cereal box issue and the blank unstamped version - if anyone knows of any others out there please let me know :)

GrQ9ao7.jpg

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
i need this card for my rainbow to be complete. he declined my high offer saying he wants the BIN price. wich is redicouls. any one want to help drive down his redicoucls price by offering like 50-60? mine was alot higher so if 10 guys offer really low he might see he messed up .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TOPPS-TRIPLE-THREADS-KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-LEGENDS-JERSEY-1-3-MARINERS-WOW-/121316642472?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c3f090ea8

What's the point of "make an offer" if he wants the BIN? I'll help ya out - offer sent at very low price :)

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
i dont know why he did. and thanks. the more crap offers he gets maybe he'll regret letting a good offer go.

also if he takes your low offers of like 50. ill buy it from you for a profit.

Last edited:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Wanted to thank dr_mcarthy for working with me on some of his auctions (great user) picked up this as well as a couple 1996 Stadium Club cards that I needed to complete my Rainbow Set (will post complete rainbow after work)
View attachment 33759

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm dr_mccarthy. I definitely recognize your name. We've had several dealings in the past. Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here!

I'm not sure if you've flipped through this thread, but someone was recently talking about that 2000 spx ball/jersey card. They posted your (previously mine) exact card, saying how beautiful it is. I'd have to agree ;) I'm glad you're enjoying it, as well as the 1996 stadium club parallels.

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
anyone else see the griffey cleats on ebay? no COA. i wrote to ask about a garuntee. and the guy freaks out on me thinking i was someone else he talked to in the past. and thought i told him i bought a white sox helmet for 250 lol.. peopleare just getting crazy

Members online

Latest posts