Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
tunahead said:
Jack Straw said:
tunahead said:
[quote="Jack Straw":3qma7buo]I am not sure but I believe the Henderson and Sandberg have sample cards.
As far as Ripken goes I will say no just these 3. I could be wrong though.

Is it bad that I'm almost sad Ripken doesn't have a sample card for this set? I guess I'm a masochist in that sense...
:lol:
Don't take my word for it though he might just have one?

Do any of the guides list these? Didn't see it in the SCD Catalog.[/quote:3qma7buo]
According to my checklist, Ripken Doesn't have a '92 Triple Play Preview, but does have a '93 Triple Play Preview.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
flarick said:
Jack Straw said:
flarick said:
[quote="Jack Straw":3n7k3nxr]I guess beckett does in their annual? I have the alpha checklist somwhere if I find it I will check.

You guys are right on with these samples. There were only 3 of them which included Griffey, Sandberg and Rickey Henderson. They came in cello packs but don't know about the print runs for the samples. I have a pack and Jr. is on the front and Henderson on the back. They were listed in the Beckett big book once upon a time but haven't checked lately.
Rick
Do you have a 93 Select dufex stars promos?
Checklist?

I have the Griffey promo (blank back) and there were blank backs made for all 24 Chase Stars. Believe the quantities were between 500 and 1000 of each but don't hold me to that![/quote:3n7k3nxr]

You have an extra Griffey?

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
flarick said:
Jack Straw said:
flarick said:
[quote="Jack Straw":35n0zolm]I guess beckett does in their annual? I have the alpha checklist somwhere if I find it I will check.

You guys are right on with these samples. There were only 3 of them which included Griffey, Sandberg and Rickey Henderson. They came in cello packs but don't know about the print runs for the samples. I have a pack and Jr. is on the front and Henderson on the back. They were listed in the Beckett big book once upon a time but haven't checked lately.
Rick
Checklist?

I have the Griffey promo (blank back) and there were blank backs made for all 24 Chase Stars. Believe the quantities were between 500 and 1000 of each but don't hold me to that![/quote:35n0zolm]

I would think the numbers would have to be less than that... you rarely see them. I've seen 1 Ripken on eBay in the last 6 years.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
flarick said:
Jack Straw said:
flarick said:
[quote="Jack Straw":3onrdu5r]I guess beckett does in their annual? I have the alpha checklist somwhere if I find it I will check.

Rick
Checklist?

I have the Griffey promo (blank back) and there were blank backs made for all 24 Chase Stars. Believe the quantities were between 500 and 1000 of each but don't hold me to that![/quote:3onrdu5r]
looks like beckett lists 12
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #1 Joe Carter
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #2 Roger Clemens
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #3 Darren Daulton
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #4 Dennis Eckersley
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #5 Cecil Fielder 1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #6 Tom Glavine
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #7 Ken Griffey Jr.
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #8 Tony Gwynn
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #9 Greg Maddux
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #10 Cal Ripken
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #11 Ryne Sandberg
1993 Select Dufex Insert Promos #12 Lee Smith
This 12-card set of blank-backed cards have come out in the marketplace. Some dealers consider these proofs as they are unnumbered and feature some of the players Score included in their insert sets. There is also some dealers who believe up to 72 of these cards exist (All Select Aces, Chase Rookies, Chase Stars and Triple Crown cards). Some dealers also believe these cards were never intended to be issued as promos and should not be priced due to the "path" they took to the hobby.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
Here's a neat Griffey item I won a large lot of 70's reds magazine and here's Jr. from 1977

1977%20Griffey%20Jr%20(Small).JPG

Full size
http://www.4192cards.com/temp/1977 Griffey Jr.JPG

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
flarick said:
Jack Straw said:
I guess beckett does in their annual? I have the alpha checklist somwhere if I find it I will check.

This 18-card standard-size set was produced by Score for Proctor and Gamble as a mail-in premium and contains 18 players from the 1992 All-Star Game line-up. The production run comprised 2,000,000 sets and 25 uncut sheets. A three-card sample set was also produced for sales representatives with a print run of 5,000,000 sets and 25 uncut sheets. The three sample cards, featuring Griffey, Sandberg, and Henderson, are stamped "sample" on the back. Collectors could obtain the set by sending in a required certificate, 99 cents, three UPC symbols from three different Proctor and Gamble products, and 50 cents for postage and handling. The certificate was published in a flyer inserted in Sunday, August 16 newspapers. The card fronts feature color action player cutouts superimposed on a diagonally striped background showing a large star behind the player. Card numbers 1-9 have a blue star on a graded magenta background, while card numbers 10-18 show a red star on blue-green. The backs display a close-up photo, biographical and statistical information, and career summary on a graded yellow-orange background. The cards are numbered "X/18" at the lower right corner.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Jack Straw said:
A print run of 5 million? ::facepalm:: I think I may have over paid but where
are these cards I have seen 2 .

Wonder if it's one of those things where only a few got sent out and they destroyed the rest? I had never seen these until this post.

I'm trying to work out a deal for a 95 Leaf Promo and 95 Leaf SS Promo Ripken, had never seen either of those until yesterday. I knew they were out there, just never found one.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Jack Straw said:
How about a 95 Leaf promo or 95 Statistical standout promo? These are tough?
Would love to see a 95 Leaf Promo if anyone has one.
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #1 Joe Carter
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #2 Ken Griffey Jr.
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #3 Don Mattingly
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #4 Fred McGriff 1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #5 Paul Molitor
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #6 Kirby Puckett
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #7 Cal Ripken
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #8 Frank Thomas
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts Promos #9 Matt Williams

One of nine different Staistical Standouts Promo cards was inserted into 1995 Leaf dealer order forms and hobby media press releases. The cards parallel the standard Statistical Standouts inserts except for the clipped upper right corner and lack of serial numbering on back.

robe28

Aug 10, 2008
Hi Guys

Love the new stuff from Roy. Bruce, Brinn, Juniorcollection, jack Straw etc.

Here is my latest with a huge thanks for magic for the patch card. I know it was tough to give up. The jersey is game used and cost $1100 with COA signed by junior and psa/dna. Good deal i think.

img119.jpg

img113.jpg

img115.jpg

img112.jpg

img108.jpg

img111.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/robm28/

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008
Jack Straw said:

95 Statistical standout promo

Front.jpg
Back.jpg

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
coqxxx4 said:
Jack Straw said:

95 Statistical standout promo

Front.jpg
Back.jpg

I don't know if it was earlier this year or sometime last year but I passed on one of those, it didn't go for much I don't think. Heck, I could be wrong, I don't even remember when it was!

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Have any of you guys seen this card on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300363035533

As most of you know I've been collecting the 34 2007 Exquisite Rookie Team Cards pairing Griffey and a rookie.
There are 34, not 35, because they never could get Hunter Pence.

Anyway, I've been replacing my /3's with 1/1's as they become available and have 16 1/1's and the rest /3's.

Well hours before this auction, I finally looked at Fields Autograph. Have any of you noticed it?
It is the worst auto I've ever seen and in fact there hardly is an auto.
This just officially ended my quest for the 1/1 cards from this set. I'll settle for the ones I have along with the /3's.

NOW- CAN ANY OF YOU WHEELER- DEALERS HELP ME FIND THE LAST CARD? ITS GRIFFEY / JON KNOTT OF THE ORIOLES (whoever the hell he is).
I'd take a 1/1 or /3, I just need the one card to put the whole thing away.

If none of you know anywhere to get one, could I ask that everyone on the forum buy a 2007 case of these cards (not a box- don't be cheap), and if you find the Jon Knott card just donate it too me? In the couple years I've known you all, I haven't asked for many favors (well maybe a few), but I would think you would not mind this chance to help me out.

PS. Of course you won't be reimbursed for the case cost.

Members online

Latest posts