Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Harper 3/5 3 HR's in minor league game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
P_Manning 18 : The fact that he picks up his back leg on his swings is more of a concern to me than the "hitch." Only other superstar who lifts his back leg like that is Frank Thomas.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Note to self:

Self, this kid is still suppose to be in high school. Has already won the Golden Spikes award and has hit 3HRs in one of his first minor league games.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
thefasterblade said:
P_Manning 18 : The fact that he picks up his back leg on his swings is more of a concern to me than the "hitch." Only other superstar who lifts his back leg like that is Frank Thomas.

Actually I've seen several hitting books illustrate the lifted back foot as a common power hitter trait. Mickey mantle was well known for lifting his back foot. It usually indicates complete transfer of power.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
Are you talking about how he moves his foot? If so, that is a timing mechanism and as long as his body is working together while his arms are driving the barell through the zone then he should be ok. I personally don't like how much his head moves but he seems to make it work.

BTW, it isn't possible to be 2-3 seconds behind a pitch.

It is if you're talking about the catcher throwing back to the pitcher :)

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
As has been said, looking at any supposed flaws at this point is kinda foolish. The kid obviously has talent and sheer power. The question is whether he is Wieters or Pujols. Remember the Wieters hype? Best hitting catcher of all time they were calling him, before his first at bat. Sure he's still young, but it's not looking good is it? We can sit here and analyze Harper's swing and footwork all we want but until some lefty is pumping curveballs to the inside on him I'll reserve my greatest ever comments for another day. I don't think he's likely to be a bust, not for a second, but his absolute greatness is obviously in doubt. But damn does this guy have quick wrists.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
I was at his minor league game today. Got a photo with Bryce as well as a signed ball.

His first 2 atbats were bombs which I missed as I got to the complex right afterwards. But I did manage to see his third homerun in the 8th inning. The minute he hit it, people knew it was gone. Was a shot, didn't go very high but definitely went far into the palm trees in right field.
Here are 2 photos I took from this afternoon:
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2454.jpg

autocut

P_Manning 18 said:
Lars said:
Hasn't he been playing against guys older than he is?

He may not hit three home runs every game but to assume some flaw is going to eat him up is silly at this point. Who says he doesn't have the ability to adjust?

[quote="P_Manning 18":1856etqv]He will always excel versus the lesser competition... Can he fix his hitch so the higher levels dont eat him alive.

Thats what I wanna see.

Thats the same as a HS basketball phenom who plays against guys 3-4 years older than him... but once they make it to the NBA they get lost.

Sebastian Telfair? Darius Miles? Tyson Chandler?

Same with Bryce Harper... he is playing against guys 3-4 years older than him.. but his skill level is still better than them.... he isnt better than the guys in MLB... so he will need to fix that little leg hitch or the real pitchers will make him look silly.[/quote:1856etqv]

That's not always true... Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James. Some people adjust quickly at a higher level. All depends on the person.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
D-Lite said:
As has been said, looking at any supposed flaws at this point is kinda foolish. The kid obviously has talent and sheer power. The question is whether he is Wieters or Pujols. Remember the Wieters hype? Best hitting catcher of all time they were calling him, before his first at bat. Sure he's still young, but it's not looking good is it? We can sit here and analyze Harper's swing and footwork all we want but until some lefty is pumping curveballs to the inside on him I'll reserve my greatest ever comments for another day. I don't think he's likely to be a bust, not for a second, but his absolute greatness is obviously in doubt. But damn does this guy have quick wrists.

Who is saying he's the "greatest ever"?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
::facepalm:: <--- Me after trying to talk to prospectors about something not quite perfect about prospect.

Again... the AFLAC Game clip has nothing to do with the pitch during the game... I was only using it to show what I called a "hitch"... his leg trigger.. and that will get exploited in higher levels. Sure... against lesser talent he has more time to catch up to a pitch and will likely crush it and make all the prospectors happy. So maybe I called it the wrong thing... if he can "fix" it he will have an above average career. If not... MLB pitchers will make him look like a fool.

Again... Ive been wrong before..and Im sure im wrong again.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not a prospector and I own 0 Harper cards.

Basically, you are trying to say he will be late on pitches and will be exposed at higher levels of play simply because he doesn't lift his leg.

P_Manning 18 said:
::facepalm:: <--- Me after trying to talk to prospectors about something not quite perfect about prospect.

Again... the AFLAC Game clip has nothing to do with the pitch during the game... I was only using it to show what I called a "hitch"... his leg trigger.. and that will get exploited in higher levels. Sure... against lesser talent he has more time to catch up to a pitch and will likely crush it and make all the prospectors happy. So maybe I called it the wrong thing... if he can "fix" it he will have an above average career. If not... MLB pitchers will make him look like a fool.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
P_Manning 18 said:

You have...and you are...but I'm sure you're not listening as several people have told you leg movement doesnt directly relate to batspeed, the plane of the bat toward the ball or a players hitting accuracy related to footwork.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
sportscardtheory said:
mwashuc06 said:

It's one thing to predict injury, it's another to predict futility. Strasburg is a beast.

Agreed. Many people were predicting an injury. Then again, with pitching it's not hard to predict. Predicting who won't get a serious injury at some point is the real prediction.

I never view a guy getting injured after showing AS level play a bust. They had what it took, but their body failed them. No one would consider Griffey a bust because his post-Seattle career was filled with injuries. Other guys just get injured sooner.

If you failed because of something you may have been able to correct you're a bust.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Well, time for an update. He just injured his ankle during scrimmage and had to be carted off the field.

No word yet on the severity.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Jaypers said:
Well, time for an update. He just injured his ankle during scrimmage and had to be carted off the field.

Uh oh,

scaled.php

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
frzg said:
Jaypers said:

Uh oh,

scaled.php

Should have lifted his leg permanently off the ground. Then his ankle wouldn't have been injured. :lol:

Probably not too serious. However, just goes to show anyone is one freak happening away from disaster. Even at the big league level.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
:cool:

@masnBen Nationals announce Bryce Harper sprained his left ankle during a morning scrimmage, and is day-to-day.

Members online

Latest posts