Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Here's a new idea for topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
They've done something similar recently but nothing like this.

There's several stars who retired early or passed away young.

Guys like Munson, koufax and mantle come to mind.

Using Munson, he had cards until 1979 (passed away that year) and probably could have played another 5 plus years.

It would be so cool if Topps made "what could have been" cards of him using designs from the period.

On top of that, they could also use"guesstimate" on his stats each year.

Definitely would be a completely new and interesting insert.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Doesn't sound like something the Estates or families of these players would go along with and would not get their approval IMO.

But I've always thought Topps should do a "Forgotten Heroes" set of All-Star level or otherwise memorable players of years past that most folks would have forgotten about...

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
If I recall, Topps estimated the 1994 player stats on their 1995 Topps base cards after the strike-shortened season.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If I recall, Topps estimated the 1994 player stats on their 1995 Topps base cards after the strike-shortened season.

Really? That's funny.

As to the OP, good idea IMO other than then guess at stats. I'd say just put then on the cards and leave the years blank or something.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Probably pushing it but mays played until 1973. Mantle might have too so how weird would it be to see a 1974 card of him with "DH" on it?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Personally, I wouldn't want to see a 1982 Munson card. He died, that's the history. Mantle played 18 years, might've gotten another year or two, his career wasn't exactly "shortened" like Koufax. Except for Heritage, I don't even particularly like seeing "today's stars in classic designs of the past" like Evan Longoria on a 1977 design. Sets like Archives or Lineage really don't do anything for me. I don't even really collect my guys from sets after they retire. I think I own zero 2012 or 2013 Frank Thomas cards, for instance. Go maybe 1 year after retirement so you can get a nice full career stat back, then end it. From that point they should be in retired-focused sets, except topical subsets or inserts.

Go back and fill in missing years when they should have been on cards, that's fine. Make 1950s Topps and Bowman cards of DiMaggio, Musial, etc., or A-Rod on 1993-199whatever cards he held out on like they did with base Topps, things like that I like.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Here is a card I found years ago just after returning from a cruise. It was found in a burnt out abandoned car, in the trunk, and stuffed in a metal coffee pot, and wrapped in a booklet style Honus Wagner card. Never really thought about it until now but figured I would share it.

e12e0643-e1eb-40d7-9139-0324ac94d31e.jpg

Latest posts