Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm hearing a rumor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This rumor says that the mlbp has the right to award a provisional licence to use logos on cards to another company.

The provisions are that they are limited to retired players, and 2 products this year.

4 products next year

6 products the next year

My gut tells me that panini will get this. What do you think?

gladdyontherise

Dec 23, 2009
Michigan
Either Panini or Upper Deck would be fine by me, I like Topps Football and when they had Basketball I liked that as well, but I hate Topps Baseball. To many retro sets and not enough value for the price in my opinion (besides the Bowman products) I loved UD Baseball.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Upper Deck will not get a license because:

1. They are a known counterfeiter of cards.
2. They disobeyed the MLB exclusive license by creating 2010 Upper Deck baseball.

The license will probably go to whomever will write the best check, but based on performance, the favorites to get the provisional are:

1. Panini - Major international manufacturer that makes products for football, basketball and hockey.
2. Panini
3. ITG - Proven successful boutique manufacturer in Hockey and recently released a baseball product.
4. Leaf - Greatest success with MMA and repackaging other manufacturer's cards. Razor baseball products not well received.
5. Any other manufacturer (Press Pass would be higher, but I don't think they would want it; etc)
6. Upper Deck

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
Its too bad that this will probably end up being Panini. Upper Deck's baseball products were always the yin to Topps' yang. Topps gets the low end, Upper Deck the mid to high end.

All panini brings to this situation is a bunch of over-foiled products that are stocked full of stickers, junk jersey cards, and terrible design work.

Leaf would be better than Panini at this point.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'd be pretty pissed off if I paid for an exclusive on this.

Panini and Upper Deck should simply weigh their remaining HOF baseball stock. Whoever has the most, gets the license.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'd be fine with Panini. I can't stand the crap they put out now with great players in college uniforms with TERRIBLE pictures. I haven't been interested in a Yount card from them in years.

And with only limited releases, they'd have their balls pretty close to the bandsaw as far as design and not screwing it up.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Panini's the obvious choice, but looking at those restrictions...bleah. Only retired players? No current players, no prospects? I like HOFer-focused sets as much as the next guy, and Fan Favorites was fun, and the odd Decade-style set can be fun, but if that's all they get to make, maybe they wouldn't want to.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
I would like to see Certified or Absolute (or maybe Diamond Kings) back w/ retired players only. I really don't care about Upper Deck anymore.

Members online

Latest posts