Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaf Manziel controversy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
If these kids don't feel as though an education, room and board, and whatnot is fair payment for them to play sports for a school and generate the NCAA and that school money, they don't have to play. They know the deal when they sign up.

Sent from the FCB Droid app, which means I'm probably on the crapper.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If these kids don't feel as though an education, room and board, and whatnot is fair payment for them to play sports for a school and generate the NCAA and that school money, they don't have to play. They know the deal when they sign up.

Have to agree with this. Reminds me of the Navy Seal that just got out after either 16 or 18 years and complained that he has no health coverage anymore. Everybody that signs up knows that the only way you're getting health coverage for the rest of your life is if you do 20 years or get some level of disability pay.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Y! SPORTS

If I go to Stanford on an academic scholarship and am a world class pianist, I can still sign a record deal and make money off my talent.

If I go to Kentucky on an athletic scholarship and am a world class Center, I can't sign any type of deal and can make no money off my likeness.

Where else in the world does the CEO (Mark Emmert) make millions of dollars and the employees (student-athletes) not only have no ability to make a monetary living, but will be punished if they try to do so? Listen, I understand that these kids (some) are getting an education out of the deal, but that scholarship isn't something that you can turn around and sell for a monetary value. I was lucky, a school was dumb enough to pay me to protect the backside of a QB for 4 years and I am grateful. I just think we should let the free market run its course. If Johnny Manziel wants to trademark his name and sign an endorsement deal with adidas, then he should have the right to do so.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Y! SPORTS

If I go to Stanford on an academic scholarship and am a world class pianist, I can still sign a record deal and make money off my talent.

If I go to Kentucky on an athletic scholarship and am a world class Center, I can't sign any type of deal and can make no money off my likeness.

Where else in the world does the CEO (Mark Emmert) make millions of dollars and the employees (student-athletes) not only have no ability to make a monetary living, but will be punished if they try to do so? Listen, I understand that these kids (some) are getting an education out of the deal, but that scholarship isn't something that you can turn around and sell for a monetary value. I was lucky, a school was dumb enough to pay me to protect the backside of a QB for 4 years and I am grateful. I just think we should let the free market run its course. If Johnny Manziel wants to trademark his name and sign an endorsement deal with adidas, then he should have the right to do so.

Unfortunately the landscape isnt that simple.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Unfortunately the landscape isnt that simple.

But it is.

Louisville blatently tied Kevin Ware to #5 after his injury and Adidas was ready to make money off of him while knowing he could never see a cent. This single handedly could cripple the NCAA's case vs. O'Bannon.

Players will be compensated and I think it's going to be very very soon.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
But it is.

Louisville blatently tied Kevin Ware to #5 after his injury and Adidas was ready to make money off of him while knowing he could never see a cent. This single handedly could cripple the NCAA's case vs. O'Bannon.

Players will be compensated and I think it's going to be very very soon.

Schools have always used numbers to represent players. It's why you see a new number on generic NCAA jerseys every couple of years.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Schools have always used numbers to represent players. It's why you see a new number on generic NCAA jerseys every couple of years.

They have never openly stated that the number is a particular player. Louisville directly came out and stated #5 was for Ware. You could buy what you thought was a Santana Moss Canes jersey but UMiami would never have released information stating that the number was related to Moss in any way, even though we all know it did.

There is a difference. I was in several EA Sports NCAA Football games, or I should say my likeness was. I realize numbers are tied to certain athletes.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Louisville really screwed up here. Now obviously schools sell certain #'s that correlate to current and former players, but they have enough deniability to where they could win in court. But because LOU tied #5 directly to Ware, even though everyone already knew it, they screwed everyone else.

The NCAA usually has ways of getting around these types of issues, but most of the experts seem to think the O'Bannon case had legs to begin with, and the Ware issue should put it over the top. Assuming the NCAA loses and doesn't settle, it could have massive implications throughout D1. The B1G has already come out and said that if the NCAA loses they could potentially have to go to D3 (I find this hard to believe but I guess it's a possibility) and USC's AD came out a few days ago to SI about the potential changes that could be made if NCAA loses, and school's athletic revenues are cut in half, which would make it nearly impossible to sustain all sports that are propped up by TV revenue from basketball and FB

Many people think O'Bannon vs. NCAA ends in a settlement, as that's usually what ends up happening, but even that will likely cause changes throughout collegiate athletics. It will be years before a final resolution in the case will be settled if they go to trial, but it's definitely forcing schools to now create a contingency plan

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
They have never openly stated that the number is a particular player. Louisville directly came out and stated #5 was for Ware. You could buy what you thought was a Santana Moss Canes jersey but UMiami would never have released information stating that the number was related to Moss in any way, even though we all know it did.

There is a difference. I was in several EA Sports NCAA Football games, or I should say my likeness was. I realize numbers are tied to certain athletes.

Thats not something I dealt with. Im too old for ncaa video games.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thats not something I dealt with. Im too old for ncaa video games.

Tecmo NCAA Football?

tecmogilmore_zps6d5d3665.png

AdamMcDermott88

Mar 7, 2013
I just don't see myself being petty enough to care about Leaf, the lol of the card world, making a few bucks off of my sig especially when the first 50% of sales were without knowing my card was a redemption.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So, for all of you that make this sound so simple, I would like to hear your answers to these questions.

Who gets paid?
-What sports?
-Do you realize that WOMEN will get paid out, the same as men as a whole. So if you pay 100 football players, you are then paying womens volleyball, tennis, golf, and softball just to equal that out.
-Do Redshirts get paid?
-Do Walk-ons get paid?
-Equal payments to all?
-Where is the money coming from?
-Will all the coaches take paycuts to make it happen?
-Will other sports get shut down to make this happen?
-Which ones?
-Can players get paid from outside sources?

How much do they get paid?

etc
etc
etc
etc

It is NOT cut and dry

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
So, for all of you that make this sound so simple, I would like to hear your answers to these questions.

Who gets paid?
-What sports?
-Do you realize that WOMEN will get paid out, the same as men as a whole. So if you pay 100 football players, you are then paying womens volleyball, tennis, golf, and softball just to equal that out.
-Do Redshirts get paid?
-Do Walk-ons get paid?
-Equal payments to all?
-Where is the money coming from?
-Will all the coaches take paycuts to make it happen?
-Will other sports get shut down to make this happen?
-Which ones?
-Can players get paid from outside sources?

How much do they get paid?

etc
etc
etc
etc

It is NOT cut and dry

Very little in this world is cut and dry. At the very least it's a flawed system that should be reviewed.

Members online

Latest posts