Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Mark McGwire Museum said:
When you see something signed in paint pen, you need to be extra careful and scrutinize it even closer. A lot of forgers like using them because they can sign 75% slower without it being evident, which makes it easier for them to get a close copy of what they are forging. The paint pens also hide the overlapping pen strokes, which hides even more clues to the authenticity.

Also, another collector-to-collector warning. Pujols' signature is amazingly easy to forge, especially the older style as most guys write with a right slant naturally. There's a lot of money to be made practicing Pujols signature a couple hours a day, and some of these scumbags do. Provenance is king.
No doubt. One Mac that i wish i could share but sold a while back (i think i read that a member has one) was 2002 Sp Authentic Excellance - Autos of Mcgwire, Ichiro, Sosa, Cal, Jr. and Giambi (shakes head) /25. Pulled the redemption and got 3000 for it. Have the red. card still and just a crappy polariod. Dont regret selling it though Giambi killed it and have seen later copies go for 1500 and less. Would love to see a scan if someone got one. Sold mine 8 years ago.
Edit back to your points above thats why i only have 4 auto peices that arent cards w/ authenticated autos. Mostly only into Rc auto cards.

Dec 10, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
I would LOVE to see a scan of the Wild Vinyl. And that is exactly what you have.

Thank you in advance!!!

Damn, sorry to get your hopes up. I found the card I thought it was. So close, yet not quite. Its a 2000 Pacific Prism proof /10, and it is printed on white vinyl (like a heavy tarp or wedding rental tent). I actually have 3 different #'d/10 2000 Pacifics, but I guess not that one. Sorry to you, sorry for me.

Prism-Proof.jpg

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
DANG IT!!!

Very nice card. I think that the Wild Vinyl card set is the lowest numbered non-parallel set by Pacific.

That is my 2011 collecting goal. Find at least one of the cards from the set for my collection.

Dec 10, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
DANG IT!!!

Very nice card. I think that the Wild Vinyl card set is the lowest numbered non-parallel set by Pacific.

That is my 2011 collecting goal. Find at least one of the cards from the set for my collection.

I would think someone on the board would have one. I saw your other thread a minute ago. Crazy there's nothing here, but makes sense I guess. I can think of some McGwire cards /100 that i have seen only a couple times. All players combined have 100 cards total for that set: a toughie indeed.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, some guy pulled a Jeter over on SCF and posted about it in 2006, but he isn't around anymore so I can't get any information about it.

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I finally own a certified mcgwire autograph. I've always wanted a card company certified (such as upperdeck, etc) but never could afford. I can't believe I got this one so cheap. Maybe all the sportkings go for this. Not for sure. Just so happy to have an on card auto for under $100!!!

[ebay:3fena3xp]350403582426[/ebay:3fena3xp]

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
Thanks everybody. The only thing I don't like is how the team logo isn't there. But I always wanted one with him in his A's uniform and sure beats the usual prices those go for! :)

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jam92102 said:
I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I finally own a certified mcgwire autograph. I've always wanted a card company certified (such as upperdeck, etc) but never could afford. I can't believe I got this one so cheap. Maybe all the sportkings go for this. Not for sure. Just so happy to have an on card auto for under $100!!!

[ebay:1va3qepu]350403582426[/ebay:1va3qepu]

Congratulations!!

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Im not going to bid on this one. I'm just curious if this is real or not
[ebay:16rmg6vo] 270651815981[/ebay:16rmg6vo]
I need one for my set, but plan on getting one signed IP next year.

Dec 10, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
[ebay:3q3spy7i] 270651815981[/ebay:3q3spy7i]

Pretty bad picture, but that one looks real from my house. Priced too high and I am almost positive it won't sell.

Dec 10, 2008
jam92102 said:

[ebay:34s4g864]350403582426[/ebay:34s4g864]

jam, that is awesome! Congrats on winning that card, you absolutely stole that, too.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Mark McGwire Museum said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
[ebay:125upxsb] 270651815981[/ebay:125upxsb]

Pretty bad picture, but that one looks real from my house. Priced too high and I am almost positive it won't sell.
thanks

delsant2

May 29, 2010
docdw25 said:
Just arrived today. At least we know two of these exist now.

f-5718.jpg
b-5718.jpg

WOW Doc, very cool. Is that the "atomic" refractor the was on ebay a little while ago? Really sweet card, congrats! Do you mind me asking how much the seller wound up letting it go for? I know the asking price was too high for me to try at it!

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
delsant2 said:
docdw25 said:
Just arrived today. At least we know two of these exist now.

f-5718.jpg
b-5718.jpg

WOW Doc, very cool. Is that the "atomic" refractor the was on ebay a little while ago? Really sweet card, congrats! Do you mind me asking how much the seller wound up letting it go for? I know the asking price was too high for me to try at it!

This is a non die-cut/embossed refractor that had a BIN of $200. I already had the regular embossed gold refractor.