Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm going to be listing some odd ball Mac stuff in my online store in the next day or so; namely some school folders like the 1993 Mead 5 Star Upper Deck Iooss Collection. Trade offers for tough Thomas items and cash offers are welcome.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I was shocked to see that it didn't get picked up for that price. Has the McGwire market cooled that much?

I've noticed that the First Pitch Preview cards are much harder to find for certain players than they are for others. My guess would be that Big Mac is one that happens to be a little easier to find. I was able to pick up 3 copies of the Larkin for less than $50 each and there is another one on Ebay right now for less than $100. But I have seen some pretty outrageous sales on some McGwire stuff recently, so I wouldn't say the market has cooled all that much. he has some very dedicated collectors, as you can see from scanning this thread :)

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010
I picked up a McGwire first pitch preview a few months back for I believe around $35 plus shipping in a straight auction.

Did anyone on here win the Donruss Aqueous Test card that sold a few weeks back?

Dec 10, 2008
I picked up a McGwire first pitch preview a few months back for I believe around $35 plus shipping in a straight auction.

Did anyone on here win the Donruss Aqueous Test card that sold a few weeks back?

I knew one had sold at auction recently, and way cheaper than what I thought it would go for, but couldn't remember what the final price was.

I bid $800+ on the Aqueous but still lost out and came in 2nd. I am almost positive it was a set collector. I know there's supposed to be 5+ of them so hopefully I can find another soon.

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010
I was the winning bid for most of the auction, but then lost in that great last minute or two. I was way back at $600. I was wondering if it would go up over $1K. I have seen one other one which was graded a 8.5 if I remember right by PSA (was along time ago) and not sure they grade those types of cards anymore. The one on ebay this time finally sold around $850. I would love to have a copy and a high priority on my want list, but just can't spend that amount of money one a card at this point in my life. Other two I am in the hunt for is the 1988 Score Promo and the 1988 Topps Cloth cards. The cloth come up for auction a few months ago, but looked like someone got it behind the scenes as the seller unlisted it and didn't put it back up.

I have gotten a couple other oddballs as of late, 1996 Upper Deck Folez Mini (looks like regular upper deck issue, but #26/48 on the back and slightly smaller, never seen this one before now), and I need to post some photos of a few of the R&N China cards I have picked up the past few months. Have 2 or 3 of them I have never seen before, all of the 1985 Topps card, but can't find them on Joe's site or listed anywhere. I am not too familiar with them, one is directly numbered out of 7,500 and the other 10,000 on the back, while the other one I got is number too high to be any of the ones I have seen before as they stop the numbering at 6262, and the one I got is like 64XX.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Ah man I missed out on the Aqueous??? And it was actually legit too? Anybody have a stale link to it?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Congrats Joe! Nice to hear your baby finally showed up! Life changing, right? It's such an awesome experience. You'll be back in it in due time, I took a pretty long break myself. Hope everything is going great.

Is it ever! The experience so far is out of this world. I can easily see how different it is when you have a girl vs a boy too. Man I'm in trouble, I'm going to be such a sucker for my little girl. I always knew it'd be worth it, but you really don't know how awesome it is until it's happened. Love it!

adifran25

Aug 18, 2012
Hi my name is Anthony, and I am a new member, and I just wanted to check in here. I am a huge Mark McGwire collector, I currently just got my 2,000 different McGwire in the mail today! I have over 6,000 total McGwire's, 2,000 different, 137 limited cards, 63 refractors, and 21 Game-used cards. Been looking on this website for a while, and its cool to see the other people who super collect on here, so I decided to become a member.

Dec 10, 2008
Hi my name is Anthony, and I am a new member, and I just wanted to check in here. I am a huge Mark McGwire collector, I currently just got my 2,000 different McGwire in the mail today! I have over 6,000 total McGwire's, 2,000 different, 137 limited cards, 63 refractors, and 21 Game-used cards. Been looking on this website for a while, and its cool to see the other people who super collect on here, so I decided to become a member.

Welcome Anthony! Nice to see someone new. Got anything you want to show off?

Dec 10, 2008
Here's one I never posted that I got around a year ago. I never buy personalized auto's, but the date was pretty significant. Got a great deal too, since no McGwire collector I know is named Michael.

First-Grand-Slam.jpg

You got any Auto's in your collection of Mac?

if you do, show em off, or show off your best cards! us mac collectors would love to see em

just wanted to show these. as they get older, you see less and less.

The 2002 non inscription one is hard to find without
chipping or flaking of the brown border. i had one with
flaked or scraped white marks and sold it to get a pretty
one with no surface imperfections

ss1.jpg

the other 2 sweet spot mac auto's to date
This one is the rarest /25 with red ink & 500hr club insc.
cardinals001.jpg

More frequently seen version
this by coincedence of numbering
has all 3 Past & Present single season HR totals
# 70/73
ss2.jpg

back in 1996 i remember going through many toy shelves at various
stores looking for this one.
He being my favorite player this was
the one i wanted out all the players in the set.

I saw his name on the back of the checklist but never saw one in person to purchase neither did my dad who also hunted for it.

For 10$ my 16 year search is ended.

1996 Headliners

. I sesn the mass produced cardinals variations but the one i wanted before everything changed was
1996 '

481BC5EA-0D86-4619-9AB5-10D0356864D4-3061-0000020E91E6A0C5.jpg

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
Picked this up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251149573739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Couldn't hit the buy it now fast enough. It wasn't even on the first search page. The OA number checks out. I was a little worried as I have never seen the '84 Silver' inscription before. Picked up a Ripken for the same price.

Some other recent pickups:
Don't recall ever seeing one of these packs over the last 25 years.
mm2640x480640x480.jpg

Classic Gotta Have McGwire.
mm1480x640480x640.jpg

Good Job by Leaf.
mm3640x408.jpg

And a New Centerpiece!
mm4640x480640x480.jpg

Members online

Latest posts