Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nat geo tv "hardcore hobbies" tonight about cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

Would anyone be willing to contact him over on BO? See if he'd like this card - it's a severely miscut 89 Topps. He can have it for shipping cost.
null_zpsb9e12283.jpg

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I sent the video link to my brother in law who collects Van Slyke and he knew exactly who this guy was. He told me that he's dealt with him a lot and that he's a super nice guy. Very easy to see how the show twisted his collecting around. If someone asked me to lay out everything I own I could easily look like a crazy collector.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
NG Hardcore Hobbies: I am addicted to collecting Andy Van Slyke!

Came across this video on National Geographic channel. I was thrilled to see a feature on cards since there rarely is any. I'm not a mental health professional but my opinion is that the therapist drew a line from the fatherless childhood to this man's passion and hobby. I'm not sure that's an accurate correlation. Then the therapist wanted the guy to burn a 1/1! wth! Yes, 60,000 of one player is extreme but when you collect a 'common' player you can do that. I think if this man lived in his own place this wouldn't be an issue. Conclusion, average people cannot understand the hardcore collector mentality!
What are your thoughts?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: NG Hardcore Hobbies: I am addicted to collecting Andy Van Slyke!

That collector is on another board & he said some of it was staged.

Also said he hasn't spent even 10k on the cards & those posters were on the walls because ng suggested it.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Ahh, thanks for moving it. I should have searched for this link first. I think we can agree that there's nothing wrong with the collection itself. The issue is that he's nearly 40, still living at home and the show seems to point to the collection as a money pit for him. I just about lost it when they wanted him to burn a 1/1! wth! Van Slyke had to have felt a bit akward being in that situation!

Members online

Latest posts