Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Ghumbs said:
clarkfan said:
Ghumbs said:
Head and shoulders above Crusade

Let's not get too carried away. They are both very very nice parallels/inserts, but I'm not sure you'll find a lot of agreement that they are "head and shoulders" above Crusades. My personal preference is 1999 Fleer Brilliants 24KT Gold. But we're talking about some of the nicest cards of the 90's, the PMG's definitely are great.
Well, maybe not shoulders. When I got my Crusades, I thought they looked really nice, like a refractor with nice detail and depth. But then I got the '98 PMG and held it in the light. I was sort of mesmerized by the moving rings. It actually excited me, as much as I hate to admit it. I've never seen a card that was so interesting before. And yes, I know I'm getting a little too excited over cheap holograms, but I've yet to see a nicer looking card in person.

If you like the 98 PMGs, you'll like these:

$(KGrHqJ,!k4E74+n2DmdBPJc3!jQuw~~60_58.JPG

I couldn't believe the similarities when I got one for the first time.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
bear0555 said:
Ghumbs said:
clarkfan said:
Ghumbs said:

Let's not get too carried away. They are both very very nice parallels/inserts, but I'm not sure you'll find a lot of agreement that they are "head and shoulders" above Crusades. My personal preference is 1999 Fleer Brilliants 24KT Gold. But we're talking about some of the nicest cards of the 90's, the PMG's definitely are great.
Well, maybe not shoulders. When I got my Crusades, I thought they looked really nice, like a refractor with nice detail and depth. But then I got the '98 PMG and held it in the light. I was sort of mesmerized by the moving rings. It actually excited me, as much as I hate to admit it. I've never seen a card that was so interesting before. And yes, I know I'm getting a little too excited over cheap holograms, but I've yet to see a nicer looking card in person.

So sweet!!

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
bear0555 said:
Ghumbs said:
clarkfan said:
Ghumbs said:

I do, and I wish you still had that card.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Ghumbs said:
bear0555 said:
Ghumbs said:
clarkfan said:
Ghumbs said:

I do, and I wish you still had that card.
I took the image off ebay. I have Griffey and Juan Gonzalez in my collection, which are the only ones I've owned. Wish they were more unique from the PMGs, as they're two different manufacturers.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
bear0555 said:
I took the image off ebay. I have Griffey and Juan Gonzalez in my collection, which are the only ones I've owned. Wish they were more unique from the PMGs, as they're two different manufacturers.
They really are the same pattern, huh?

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Ghumbs said:
bear0555 said:
They really are the same pattern, huh?
Yup. I assume they used the same printers/printing company. I believe UD used that as a reason for inserting a Ripken 1/1 triple bat into a blaster box of Fleer Ultra.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Ghumbs said:
PadresFan86 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what are PMGS?
It's code for 1991 Donruss.

Wait, no. Precious Metal Gems.
I'll take PMG over Crusades too. :mrgreen: I can not find a Caminiti crusade for the life of me.

I started my Caminiti collection about 6 months ago. I started way to late! ::facepalm::

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
PadresFan86 said:
Ghumbs said:
PadresFan86 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what are PMGS?
It's code for 1991 Donruss.

Wait, no. Precious Metal Gems.
I'll take PMG over Crusades too. :mrgreen: I can not find a Caminiti crusade for the life of me.

I started my Caminiti collection about 6 months ago. I started way to late! ::facepalm::
I'd like a crusade myself over a PMG but god knows I'll never see one. Problem with them is not only player collectors have them but set collectors and 90s collectors do too. I know some board members here have the Belle but they're in a nondisclosed location ::facepalm::

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ghumbs said:
clarkfan said:
Ghumbs said:

Honestly, I think the holograms they did for like...1994 marvel, you know the venom v.s. spidey one, those are far ahead of anything sportscards ever will produce. Sorry. Now, Joshhamilton has infromed me that it's hard if not impossible for them to make something like that for a real life person. But damn...do they look freaking awesome!

As far as sports, Ilike pmg's over crusades because honestly, I've seen a zillion crusades. When something's hot, it gets way to much exposure. But you know what's really cool? Pinnacle artists proofs and the starburst type cards. 1995, 96, and 97. Love em. Some of them have this burst of light that looks like rays of sunshine popping off the card. Kinda hard to beat that. Hell, I'd even take pinnacle skylines over crusades. Crusades are cool but there is a lot of other stuff to be had guys.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
predatorkj said:
Ghumbs said:
clarkfan said:
Ghumbs said:

Honestly, I think the holograms they did for like...1994 marvel, you know the venom v.s. spidey one, those are far ahead of anything sportscards ever will produce. Sorry. Now, Joshhamilton has infromed me that it's hard if not impossible for them to make something like that for a real life person. But damn...do they look freaking awesome!

As far as sports, Ilike pmg's over crusades because honestly, I've seen a zillion crusades. When something's hot, it gets way to much exposure. But you know what's really cool? Pinnacle artists proofs and the starburst type cards. 1995, 96, and 97. Love em. Some of them have this burst of light that looks like rays of sunshine popping off the card. Kinda hard to beat that. Hell, I'd even take pinnacle skylines over crusades. Crusades are cool but there is a lot of other stuff to be had guys.

You collect what YOU like.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
DeliciousBacon said:
nosterbor said:
Very tuff. The gold is even tuffer

I have a Manny Ramirez Gold Medallion unredeemed, picked it up for a shiny dime a year or so ago. Never owned any of these when I was collecting in the 90's, now I know why!

Got these in the other day from astroburn, along with some equally sweet but non-90's inserts:

img520.jpg

Nice additions to my Biggio collection, thanks man! :D

Is That the gold domed holographic? Yikes!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Cobra29svt said:
predatorkj said:
Is That the gold domed holographic? Yikes!

Yes, that's the gold-domed. Ever seen one in-hand? They are beastly, but kind of a PITA to store. One of my favorite sets!

Yeah I own the Bagwell from that year. Just been a long time since I dug it out so when I saw this post I was like...wow! That's my "five year old moment" of the day. Sorry guys... :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts