Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OK, my birthday is in a few days and I want cards! (read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
zbdub808 said:
just let the child talk, do you want to stoop down that low to make fun of a 15/16 year old?
Hope your not talking about me, i was in no way making fun of him but offering him advice. I did agree with an above comment but didn't write it and he has acted arrogant.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
Krom said:
zbdub808 said:
just let the child talk, do you want to stoop down that low to make fun of a 15/16 year old?
Hope your not talking about me, i was in no way making fun of him but offering him advice. I did agree with an above comment but didn't write it and he has acted arrogant.

no not you

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
GiantsSuperCollector said:
He is a month or two older than me...and what do you mean thats bad to use that kind of language? I guess you haven't been out for a while?

::facepalm:: we are on a thread full of all ages young (you) and adults, it would be preferred that you would use appropriate language

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
zbdub808 said:
GiantsSuperCollector said:
He is a month or two older than me...and what do you mean thats bad to use that kind of language? I guess you haven't been out for a while?

::facepalm:: we are on a thread full of all ages young (you) and adults, it would be preferred that you would use appropriate language

Um, in this day and age, KIDS start using cuss words in ELEMENTARY schools.

Not to mention cable television no longer bleeps out cuss words and, well, it makes it easier for people to know the words and use the words.

Maybe toughen the skin up a bit and move the **** on from this post, huh?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well it looks like you've axed your plans for buying some wax boxes. I don't play much play station or x-box anymore. Never really had time for it but I was mega addicted to Scarface and I also love Guitar Hero but mostly just to listen to the songs.

In any case...what many have said here about buying singles was pretty solid advice. You can get a slew of nice stuff for that kinda coin. And there is a lot of stuff out there that you don't even know about. You like that Jake Peavy card huh? Imagine owning a bunch of cards like that. Weren't you thinking of having it signed? You could easily buy 100 of those types of cards for that kinda money. Hell...you walk into a card shop...you'd be surprised the kinda deals you can get. Especially if its not a local player. I find some pretty badass patch/auto cards at my shop all the time for anywhere form $5-$20 and they are of good players who just don't happen to garner interest here.

Buying wax, while fun, is a crap shoot. You probably don't want to do it unless you have the cash to lose and its of a product that you'll at least get something cool from even if it doesn't make you money. I wouldn't consider Bowman Chrome cool. Its a money maker at best. Because 9 times out of 10...these guys busting it have a method and know what they are doing. Most normal collectors don't bust chrome. There are a few who heavily follow prospects but with your apparent knowledge of this hobby, you don't seem the type. You could take that money and buy some triple threads or something else of that nature with some cool looking designs. You seem to following on these people's coattails about what to buy. Its not a good idea. You'd be buying for the wrong reasons. In fact...you might want to buy a box just to see if you like it.

The great thing about this hobby is there are many niches for everyone. The one you'd be going down wouldn't be one a normal "collector" would. You'd be trying your hand at prospecting. And that's a lot of money to throw at something you don't really know much about. But you seemed to be hell bent on busting wax. Buy something fun or buy a multitude of boxes. That would be better than busting 8 straight boxes of the same old cards of a bunch of players you have never heard of. Half of whom wouldn't make the majors. And of those that do...only maybe a 1/4 of them will be anyone relevant. So unless you know how to sell properly...you'd be wasting your time.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
predatorkj said:
Well it looks like you've axed your plans for buying some wax boxes. I don't play much play station or x-box anymore. Never really had time for it but I was mega addicted to Scarface and I also love Guitar Hero but mostly just to listen to the songs.

In any case...what many have said here about buying singles was pretty solid advice. You can get a slew of nice stuff for that kinda coin. And there is a lot of stuff out there that you don't even know about. You like that Jake Peavy card huh? Imagine owning a bunch of cards like that. Weren't you thinking of having it signed? You could easily buy 100 of those types of cards for that kinda money. Hell...you walk into a card shop...you'd be surprised the kinda deals you can get. Especially if its not a local player. I find some pretty badass patch/auto cards at my shop all the time for anywhere form $5-$20 and they are of good players who just don't happen to garner interest here.

Buying wax, while fun, is a crap shoot. You probably don't want to do it unless you have the cash to lose and its of a product that you'll at least get something cool from even if it doesn't make you money. I wouldn't consider Bowman Chrome cool. Its a money maker at best. Because 9 times out of 10...these guys busting it have a method and know what they are doing. Most normal collectors don't bust chrome. There are a few who heavily follow prospects but with your apparent knowledge of this hobby, you don't seem the type. You could take that money and buy some triple threads or something else of that nature with some cool looking designs. You seem to following on these people's coattails about what to buy. Its not a good idea. You'd be buying for the wrong reasons. In fact...you might want to buy a box just to see if you like it.

The great thing about this hobby is there are many niches for everyone. The one you'd be going down wouldn't be one a normal "collector" would. You'd be trying your hand at prospecting. And that's a lot of money to throw at something you don't really know much about. But you seemed to be hell bent on busting wax. Buy something fun or buy a multitude of boxes. That would be better than busting 8 straight boxes of the same old cards of a bunch of players you have never heard of. Half of whom wouldn't make the majors. And of those that do...only maybe a 1/4 of them will be anyone relevant. So unless you know how to sell properly...you'd be wasting your time.

Yeah, I'm a big Triple Threads and Patches fan. I love those kinds of cards. Anyways, I think I'll buy mainly singles from now on and occasionally a box.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Mr.1989 said:
Yeah, I'm a big Triple Threads and Patches fan. I love those kinds of cards. Anyways, I think I'll buy mainly singles from now on and occasionally a box.

9 pages of stubbornness and random comments and this is the result?

andrewnmisty

Jun 10, 2010
Is there a "Thread Hall of Fame"? If so, this needs to be in it!
Thanks to everyone who participated in this amazingly hilarious thread.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
This is like a depiction of this thread

[youtube:3ar0yszc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCidnkhPtQ[/youtube:3ar0yszc]

just replace xmas with birthday

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
Mr.1989 said:
predatorkj said:

Now your gettin' it! Take about $35 of that and put it aside and buy yourself a 2011 Baseball America Prospect handbook when it comes ( I think in less than a month). Read that thing like there's no tomorrow from cover to cover and check out all the prospects, compare stats & prices on ebay for prospects, then pick yourself some guys that can be picked up on the cheap on ebay or here. Buy yourself a box from time to time as it does make for good fun value, but I promise you will have more fun cashing in those prospect autos when they jump in value. Just remember, never get too attached to a player's cards so that you don't sale them when they double and then your stuck with them when they go back down to lower amounts then you paid for them. If you take the advice of some on here that have offered it, you will be one of the most educated 16 year old collectors around and very much ahead of the game with your age group that's out buying packs and boxes right now. Mind you there will be lessons to learn. Like when you go out and buy that Alex Gordon Chrome Auto for $135 cause it's hot and then end up selling it for $20 2 years later. I bought $3,000 worth and had to sale in much the same manner. :eek: Stay away from prospects who's cards are already too expensive as generally they have no where to go but down. Good luck and welcome to the board kid.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
(in order ~ sorta)
Fandruw25 said:
Mr.1989 said:

9 pages of stubbornness and random comments and this is the result?

YES. You know, in life, you never stop learning. Look, another seemingly random comment!

Krom said:
You should ask for a metronome for your birthday.
Actually, I'm getting an RP1000. The most badass thing Digitech has EVER come up with(pedal-wise)! Or maybe one of the worst (it depends on what side you're on about the supposed chorus issues.) FYI guitar people, I paid $320 brand new. HIT EBAY, there are still some left at that price.
andrewnmisty said:
Is there a "Thread Hall of Fame"? If so, this needs to be in it!
Thanks to everyone who participated in this amazingly hilarious thread.

That should be a new addition to FCB (if it doesn't exist already). I hope this thread makes it.
QuickFlipKing said:
Mr.1989 said:
predatorkj said:

Now your gettin' it! Take about $35 of that and put it aside and buy yourself a 2011 Baseball America Prospect handbook when it comes ( I think in less than a month). Read that thing like there's no tomorrow from cover to cover and check out all the prospects, compare stats & prices on ebay for prospects, then pick yourself some guys that can be picked up on the cheap on ebay or here. Buy yourself a box from time to time as it does make for good fun value, but I promise you will have more fun cashing in those prospect autos when they jump in value. Just remember, never get too attached to a player's cards so that you don't sale them when they double and then your stuck with them when they go back down to lower amounts then you paid for them. If you take the advice of some on here that have offered it, you will be one of the most educated 16 year old collectors around and very much ahead of the game with your age group that's out buying packs and boxes right now. Mind you there will be lessons to learn. Like when you go out and buy that Alex Gordon Chrome Auto for $135 cause it's hot and then end up selling it for $20 2 years later. I bought $3,000 worth and had to sale in much the same manner. :eek: Stay away from prospects who's cards are already too expensive as generally they have no where to go but down. Good luck and welcome to the board kid.

Yes and you summarized my general thoughts on investing. Question though, where do 1/1's go in price? I mean, "it's the only one in the world!" so.......hmm. I'll stick to rookies and final years of retirees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks and bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts