Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Saw something disgusting at Progressive Field tonight...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpTheAlley

Sep 26, 2009
North Carolina
Suffice to say, not one founding father if sitting beside the man, would probably be standing up either, matter of fact, in all probability, they would have been mustering up on a hundred different occasions in the past half century, but most likely on the first bailout!

The Great American Constitutional Supreme Court Chief Justice Founding Father, JAMES WILSON “The supreme, absolute, and uncontrollable power is in the people, it is IN THE PEOPLE, before they make a constitution, and remains in THE PEOPLE, after it is made…the sovereignty resides in the people, and it never leaves them, and said authority is ABOVE any constitution OR NATIONAL GOVERNMENT—THE jus summa imperii [II. Ell. Deb. 432]

So perhaps in a more organic, radical and original founders take on the event described, the argument can be presented that the Man was doing nothing more but discharging his office as citizen, in Honor and Standing of the utmost capacity, of all the founding fathers, THE sovereign and principal to any National Authority.

Hurray, good for him!

Yes, those radical, non political correct founders left for the written record, great nuggets! :lol:

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Coming from a former Military member, I dont mind at all if people dont stand. If you want to sit, then sit, but shut the hell up and be quiet while the rest of us are standing. If you dont have respect for the flag or what it stands for, fine. Have respect for the sports fans around you and say nothing for a couple of minutes.

Dont believe in God? Fine, I'm not going to make you, but dont act like you know theres no God for sure and spout it out as being a fact that He does not exist. Im not telling you that youre wrong for NOT believing. Thats your right to do so, and I respect your right by not saying anything negative or stating that there is a God and portraying it as a fact.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
He was probably a Jehovah's Witness. They don't stand for the national anthem or say the PofA in schools.

You can disagree with that decision, but it is their choice. I disagree with their method too, but they do stand by their beliefs, even going to jail for it. That's why Sweet Lou Whitaker didn't observe it, he was one. Also, some Mennonite and Muslims groups do the same. A former NBAer, who was Muslim, turned his back to the flag, and drew heat for it.

I say just let them be, disagree and just let them be.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
When I was at the NHL western conference finals this year a sore ass Sharks fan and his girlfriend sitting next to me wouldn't stand up and applaud the members of the military that were shown on the big board and honored for their service. I was pissed to say the least. People have no class.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
What this thread does VERY well is highlight the level of tolerance(or lack there of) with some people today. Freedom and tolerance go hand in hand, you cant have one without the other. So to get offended by someone doing something you wish not tolerate all the while standing at attention and celebrating the very root of freedom and tolerance is laughable.

What this world, our country, needs is more tolerance of each other and less judgmental people pissing on each others choices and decisions that fall under the blanket of freedom. So he did not stand for the song, big deal! Does this make you less proud of your country? Does this really change your point of view and celebration of freedom?

Less judgmental, more tolerance, and a healthy dose of kindness towards others and their rights is what we need.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
matfanofold said:
What this thread does VERY well is highlight the level of tolerance(or lack there of) with some people today. Freedom and tolerance go hand in hand, you cant have one without the other. So to get offended by someone doing something you wish not tolerate all the while standing at attention and celebrating the very root of freedom and tolerance is laughable.

What this world, our country, needs is more tolerance of each other and less judgmental people pissing on each others choices and decisions that fall under the blanket of freedom. So he did not stand for the song, big deal! Does this make you less proud of your country? Does this really change your point of view and celebration of freedom?

Less judgmental, more tolerance, and a healthy dose of kindness towards others and their rights is what we need.

I'm sick of people like you bringing logic and well constructed opinions into this thread. This thread is clearly ripe for divisive judgments and extreme political opinions. By taking up space in this thread with posts like yours, we won't get ****** comparisons until at least page 8 now, when we were well on our way to get there by page 6 (although we did bring the NYC mosque debate in by the end of page 2).

On another note, I'm always impressed by people that spell judgment correctly, which you did twice (actually, you used judgmental, which still counts).

cubfan131 said:
I would have more of a problem with him forcing his daughter to sit down. It is one thing to have your opinions but I can't stand it when parents force their beliefs on their kids. If she wants to stand for the national anthem let her.

I totally agree, and it strikes a nerve with me as well...

Just a quick story...
I am a retired police officer. When I was a young cop, I was standing a post and a mother with her daughter (I say 3 or 4 years old) walks by me. The mother makes a point of turning her head as she passes me. Her daughter looks up at me and with the biggest smile says "Hi Police Officer" and waves. The mother swings around and slaps her hard on the behind and says "You don't say hi to the man". Talk about parents forcing their beliefs on their kids! I wish I could say it was an isolated incident in my career but I would be lying...

That is why history repeats itself.....

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
cubfan131 said:
I would have more of a problem with him forcing his daughter to sit down. It is one thing to have your opinions but I can't stand it when parents force their beliefs on their kids. If she wants to stand for the national anthem let her.

I totally agree, and it strikes a nerve with me as well...

Just a quick story...
I am a retired police officer. When I was a young cop, I was standing a post and a mother with her daughter (I say 3 or 4 years old) walks by me. The mother makes a point of turning her head as she passes me. Her daughter looks up at me and with the biggest smile says "Hi Police Officer" and waves. The mother swings around and slaps her hard on the behind and says "You don't say hi to the man". Talk about parents forcing their beliefs on their kids! I wish I could say it was an isolated incident in my career but I would be lying...

That is why history repeats itself.....

That's really sad...

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
At least this guy should have honored it by standing. That is the least that this ***** could have done. Yes, J-Witnesses do not honor it, but the fact that the guy pulled his daughter back into her seat is ******. No one said you have to sing it, just stand and honor it please. My dad's friend slapped a hat off of some guy because he would not take his hat off during the anthem. He is a war veteran so I can clearly see the disconnect.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I think you have failed to realize something. You fell into a dirty trap.

99.9% of the people that do these things do it simply to get a rise out of someone. Yes, there are religious convictions blahblah but for the most part people that do this type of thing are just trying to piss off those that care deeply about such issues. And you, my friend, took the bait and got caught on the hook.

Here you are, well after the game, pissed. That guy has probably mostly forgotten about the night but you let him get to you.

It is just like an annoying little brother. Ignore the brat and he'll go bug someone else. The LAST thing you should do is call these people out. That is exactly what they want you to do.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Your life would be a lot less stressful if you stopped getting worked up over things others do that don't affect you or your life in the slightest

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
My brother once put me in my place and provided me with so much perspective with just a simple sentence. During an argument where I was judging him he told me "you know what the problem is with this world? It is that everyone is not exactly like you." I got it immediately and felt like an a hole...that simple sentence put everything in perspective for me.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
I always find it humorous when others get all huffy puffy over what someone else wont do. These huffy puffy folks are actually the most dangerous, ignorant folks in the country. They're the ones who end up enciting a fight and making a scene.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
aarne13 said:
bradical said:
Maybe he was Canadian, eh?

Most Canadians are polite and will pay respect to another nation's anthem. Although when it comes to the Canadian anthem, some people don't show the same kind of respect.

When you speak of Canadians, you're clearly speaking of the branch of Canadians that do not reside in Quebec. Montrealers are always boisterous and will have their displeasure heard.

With that said, I'd be far more likely to sit for my own anthem, something I've stood for my entire life, to express displeasure than to sit for a neighbouring country's anthem. Sitting for another country's anthem isn't called for and is quite disrespectful, but sitting for your own, in your own native land, is a great way of showing displeasure.

Members online

Latest posts