Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shady post office workers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Has anyone ever dealt with one? I went to send out a highend football card today and asked for $1,000 in insurance. The guy working the desk says, "This package is worth $1,000??" He tries bending the envelope, kind of hits it against the counter, squeezes it, holds it up to the light, tosses it into the air and just stands there looking at me all confused. He continually asked if I was sure it wasn't fragile (I know they have to go through the is it perishable, fragile liquid, etc speech but he asked each multiple times). Once that was over... I told him I needed it there by Friday and he started all over with questions again. "Who needs it there by Friday? The person you're sending it to? He needs this $1,000 package by Friday? Did he ask for it by Friday or do you just want it there by then? So this package has a value of $1,000 inside? Why Friday and not Saturday?" Just seemed kind of off, maybe I'm just paranoid....

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Maybe you can buy it back on eBay tonight when he sells it for less than you sold it for! Sounds like a win-lost-win to me.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
I do regret not walking out of there and I would have if it wasn't already sealed in their own envelope which I had to pay for anyways.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
Ebay shipping and you don't have to put up with that crap.
+1. I have no idea why people even go to the post office any more. I use ebay and paypal multi-shipping regularly and I don't have to make the trip, IT'S CHEAPER, and you don't have to stand in line and deal with the people who work at the counter (and really don't know what they are talking about about when it comes to something like shipping a package).

I get USPS packages frequently that have outrageously overpriced postage on them from people that went to the PO. Never seen that from the ones that print it at home.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I would have asked to speak to his manager immediately. I would also have let them know that I would be more than happy to contact the police with the above information if the package had any issues arriving at it's destination.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
The two 1K+ cards I have shipped have gone certified mail. It is slower, but more secure. It is tamper sealed and everyone who touches it has to sign off on it that it is intact and sealed.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Agreed or put them in a small flat priority box. Personally I would be pissed a $1000 card was shipped in a top loader and bubble mailer.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Agreed or put them in a small flat priority box. Personally I would be pissed a $1000 card was shipped in a top loader and bubble mailer.

I'd be pissed if it didn't have both. My Posey gold chrome auto came in a toploader just slid protection less into a #0 bubble mailer =[

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't believe one word of that.
I don't either, or the story is at least greatly exaggerated.
MallCop is the same guy who made a thread about BGS damaging a valuable card, then when BGS said to send the card back to investigate, he refused, despite everyone here telling him to do what BGS asked.
He seems to be fond of posting drama queen stories.

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
MallCop is the same guy who made a thread about BGS damaging a valuable card, then when BGS said to send the card back to investigate, he refused, despite everyone here telling him to do what BGS asked.

Without passing judgement either way, I had a somewhat similar (although less dramatic) experience. I used to live in a small, rural, area. I brought a card to be mailed (yes, I should have just printed on eBay) and it was a few hundred dollar card...somewhere between 250-350. I don't recall exactly. When I asked for the insurance I got a "wow, really?!?!" Followed by a very close look at the envelope. But, as it was a rural post office and I saw the same people every time so I did not worry about it.

The attempt to bend the envelope is just them checking the rigidity of the package to make sure it will go through the sorting machines OK. It does not look or feel good to watch, but there is really nothing to it and a properly packaged card will survive it just fine. Much worse happens in transit.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008

wrong. The case went to small claims court and I won a judgment against them. Plain and simple. I have a receipt which they gave to me, that they wrote "Minimum Grade 9 or Slab Authentic", they sent the card back to be in a flimsy holder and it was damaged in the box. Furthermore, Fed Ex wrote the court a letter in which they deemed the package inadequately packaged, causing damage to the item inside. Beckett wanted me to send them the card back so they could "file a claim through Fed Ex on my behalf". Fed Ex said they they would not approve the claim because they did not damage the item, the company did. In addition to that, any insurance claim needed to be filed by the person who received the item damaged. They said that if I had a case where they would pay insurance, but I got the card damaged, then sent it back to Beckett, Beckett could not then file a claim. They specifically instructed me to NOT send the card back to them. They also charged me for $1,000 insurance on that card and only insured it for $500 value.

Last edited:

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I'd be pissed if it didn't have both. My Posey gold chrome auto came in a toploader just slid protection less into a #0 bubble mailer =[

Yeah that stinks, I meant I would want it in a priority box #1 since they aren't able to mangle them or sent sandwiched between cardboard or in a one touch etc.

I send all my high dollar $100+ in a bubble mailer inside a small flat priority box.

Members online