Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So looks like Leaf is on to something....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
If I am being included in "the lynch mob" then reread what I said. I think BG is a huge asset to the baseball card community. His presence here has been destructive.

I do not intend to anger anyone. I will not feed the fire any longer. I will, however, go start the Darryl Kile thread that was derided without even existing.

I'm destructive or the idiots who blindly attack are destructive?
BG

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
BG

Well, clearly it's you. We can't expect anyone else to be able to control themselves, can we? It's not like they have a choice. If you post something, it must be attacked, it's somewhere in the site rules I'm sure. It's not like there is an ignore feature or anything.

So when is that Hensley Meulens career retrospective coming out? I'm eager to see him in his SK Wyverns and Ottawa Lynx uniforms!

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I would really recommend anyone who has issues with Brian to listen to some of his interviews on cardboard connection radio or his presentation at the summit.

His posting style does come off a bit brash (no offense) but when you listen to him speak you really can tell that he cares about the hobby.

I'm excited to see how this goes and my last thought on this thread is I wish bob loblaw hadn't been banned :)

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
BG

You are divisive. I respect you a great deal. If I have any negativity toward you, it is jealousy. I am saying your presence has caused major rifts in this community, but only because the owner is directly angering people.

When Topps pisses people off, it is a faceless corporation. When Leaf pisses people off, it is BG. That is a lot more personal.

Again, please don't think I'm being negative about you as a person. I think you are pushing this industry, and pressure from below is good for any industry. You have spent years trying to do the right thing, and I respect that, but you have ripped FCB in half.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
You are divisive. I respect you a great deal. If I have any negativity toward you, it is jealousy. I am saying your presence has caused major rifts in this community, but only because the owner is directly angering people.

When Topps pisses people off, it is a faceless corporation. When Leaf pisses people off, it is BG. That is a lot more personal.

Again, please don't think I'm being negative about you as a person. I think you are pushing this industry, and pressure from below is good for any industry. You have spent years trying to do the right thing, and I respect that, but you have ripped FCB in half.

I honestly believe that these fights would have occurred about Leaf/Razor even if BG was not here.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I honestly believe that these fights would have occurred about Leaf/Razor even if BG was not here.

Probably the most truthful statement I've bothered to read in the last 7 pages. This thread has become laughable with the accusations and absolute know it alls throwing their opinions around as fact. Some of you people are absolutely ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
While I haven't read every Leaf thread, I think it's pretty decent someone high up from a card company takes time to participate. Of course not everyone is going to agree with each other all of the time. No one is perfect.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I would really recommend anyone who has issues with Brian to listen to some of his interviews on cardboard connection radio or his presentation at the summit.

Great point and if I didn't have XXXX connection right now, I'd link the YouTube of that summit speech (assuming it's still there from early this year).

Anyone care to do it?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I couldn't imagine what a Topps rep would deal with if there was one on this board. For all the sh!t BG deals with and keeps coming back for more, a Topps rep wouldn't last a minute. I find it funny some people think BG does more bad than good on the board or turns people away from the site? Psh please...

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
BG, I dont have a dog in this fight but I can honestly say the Sean C was one of the original guys who go all the way back to the Beckett boards. He was always one of the most knowledgeable guys that I can think of regarding the hobby. He has not posted much for a few years. Just wanted to give you a little background. Sean has the respect of many guys who have been in this hobby for a long time and who matter.

I have a question. Who are these guys who have been in the hobby for a long time and who matter? Also I wonder if they watch Foxnews would he really care if they thought highly of him. If so there opinion of him might not matter, according to Sean, they are fools.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

His posting style does come off a bit brash (no offense) but when you listen to him speak you really can tell that he cares about the hobby.

I'm excited to see how this goes and my last thought on this thread is I wish bob loblaw hadn't been banned :)

I was actually amazed Bob hadn't weighed in on this discussion yet...now I know why.

Champion

Aug 27, 2013
Unlike most I think Leaf does a great job making cards even without logos. Just look at the sell sheet for the 2013 Leaf Ichiro Immortals Collection. Those are some beautiful cards. BG keep up the great work. If you can find a loophole so that you can put logos on cards then you are a genius. But you can't please everyone. Look at any Leaf thread and there is always someone hating because you don't have logos. Now you make the extra effort to put logos and it seems like even more people are upset. With or without logos your company is doing a great job so keep up the great work. You will always have my business. And I don't think it is necessary for you to leave FCB. I know I am not the only one who appreciates your contributions here. Don't let a couple idiots ruin everything. I am looking forward to 2014. [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION]

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I have a question. Who are these guys who have been in the hobby for a long time and who matter? Also I wonder if they watch Foxnews would he really care if they thought highly of him. If so there opinion of him might not matter, according to Sean, they are fools.

It's like a brotherhood. The lucky ones to be online for 15 years. If it matters I remember a ton of members here from the early bmb days (I signed up mid 2001) have had the same user name since. They are a long standing and close knit group. Understandable.. But it doesn't matter really

Sent from my iPhone

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Since there are a lot of things to catch up on, I'll summarize:

1). I think it's great that Brian is on the forums. Card companies should have someone doing their hobby outreach, and it's commendable that Brian is as involved as he is. Even if it's for shameless self promotion of his products, Brian does do some good things here, as noted by the under the radar charity assistance that was disclosed in this thread. Things like that mean a hell of a lot more to me than some of the other nonsense that goes on.

2). What Brian does, the products he produces, and his personality are very polarizing. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to him and Razor / Leaf. What I can say is that while I may not like Brian or what he creates and gleefully rip things to shreds when I see some of the nonsense that gets put out under his company's names, it's never done "blindly". I take each and every situation as it comes, and offer my opinions / commentary as such. The people that "blindly" hate Brian and Razor / Leaf are just as annoying as the people that "blindly" love Brian and Razor / Leaf.

3). As I've said before, the thing that I just don't get is why people think that Brian / Razor / Leaf are so innovative, groundbreaking, and creative. To paraphrase what I said in my post over on the Leaf forum, from ripping off the "Superfractor" design to repacks, there is very little new to any of his product lines, yet there are people in this hobby that treat him as if he discovered fire. I just see him as a newer version of Ken Goldin.

4). Regarding the people using logos on custom made 1/1 cards, they are running the same risk of having MLB Properties go after them as anyone else.

5). As for the comment from StanTheManFan, I actually am friendly with people who watch Fox News, and we've had discussions / debates about how foolish the channel is and the sheeple who "blindly follow" it (and yes I feel the same about MSNBC at this point, as it's just gone right into the toilet as well). What happens usually is they make their points, I make mine, then our appetizers arrive and we talk about the other things going on in our lives. If the recent idiocy spewed by Megyn Kelly regarding Santa and Jesus isn't enough to prove the point then there is no hope for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBn2wIQWoB8

6). Glad to see you'll be taking my suggestion and having a Q&A session, Brian.

Anything else?

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
This thread is the Seinfeld of threads. 16 pages about nothing. Sheesh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
I wonder if UD is going to try again and if BG still has any good contacts there. Remember a couple of things, 1) Richard McWilliam wife is now running the company and she is a high powered attorney with good contacts. 2) BG just hired Terry Melia to do PR for him and Terry knows a lot of people at UD. I would not be surprised if UD, especially if their books are in order, make another attempt to produce cards which would then allow BG to come along for the ride. This is just speculation not fact but I wonder.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Let's take the infamous '89 Fleer Randy Johnson RC for example: if you go by some logic you would say the Marlboro billboard in the original printing would have to be airbrushed due to Fleer not paying the owners of Marlboro for the logo use. The removal was because of the cigarette advertisement on a kids hobby/toy. Or, if a Pepsi logo was clearly seen in the background, would then the card mfg have to pay because the logo was there?

I see where BG is coming from as the photograph is of the player, the logo just happens to be there. The MLBPA license covers that. If Topps want to pay millions for the title of 'Official Baseball Card of MLB" and print/sell/distribute them that way, then so be it.

Just my $0.02
Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Let's take the infamous '89 Fleer Randy Johnson RC for example: if you go by some logic you would say the Marlboro billboard in the original printing would have to be airbrushed due to Fleer not paying the owners of Marlboro for the logo use. The removal was because of the cigarette advertisement on a kids hobby/toy. Or, if a Pepsi logo was clearly seen in the background, would then the card mfg have to pay because the logo was there?

I see where BG is coming from as the photograph is of the player, the logo just happens to be there. The MLBPA license covers that. If Topps want to pay millions for the title of 'Official Baseball Card of MLB" and print/sell/distribute them that way, then so be it.

Just my $0.02
Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

This is one of the most logical arguments I have seen on the issue and gives me hope that BG can win this fight.

Members online

Latest posts