Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2014 Topps (High) Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I might be alone in this but I like how the pattern composition/rarity wasn't announced. It's more fun when there are unknowns and it takes the community posting in threads like this to sort it all out.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Its fun to watch and read but if Dawson was in this and I was buying it then it would be frustrating

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Hopefully high tek will be back next year with the same set up. Topps shouldn't make any changes to it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Hopefully high tek will be back next year with the same set up. Topps shouldn't make any changes to it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Except add numbers and patterns and 90 card set with 90 patterns in a $90 box for 120 cards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yea, I agree. I don't see why you can't number the pattern numbers or something. I don't mind them keeping it a secret which patterns are more rare but at least make it clear what patterns are what and how many there are, etc. I mean even Beckett is scratching their heads and they get information from Topps.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Its fun to watch and read but if Dawson was in this and I was buying it then it would be frustrating

I don't collect him, but Dawson was one of mine and my brothers favorite players. In the late 70's, early 80's we would fight over his expos cards.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Except add numbers and patterns and 90 card set with 90 patterns in a $90 box for 120 cards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I agree with this, I would also like them to put an actual number on the card instead of letters, makes it less confusing.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
This is the ideal set to HAVE a checklist upon release. I mean it is a basic set which is meant for checklists and collecting either your player or the set, etc. Just crazy they are that lazy.

From a marketing perspective, not having the parallels situation fully settled during the initial launch helped drive discussion and buzz on forums & twitter. Articles on Beckett & CBC front pages as well. Just saying, the unknown about this release helped with hype and hobby awareness.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
From a marketing perspective, not having the parallels situation fully settled during the initial launch helped drive discussion and buzz on forums & twitter. Articles on Beckett & CBC front pages as well. Just saying, the unknown about this release helped with hype and hobby awareness.

I wouldn't be searching for singles if these were numbered....the mystery is what is drawing in buyers.

Topps could learn a thing or two about collectors from this release.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't think I made my point clear...

I think having the mystery of what the print runs on certain patterns was smart, created buzz, interested, etc.

What I do NOT think is smart was for them not to have a clear defined checklist for at least what is in the product. Sh!t, I don't care if anything has a serial number and if it is all a mystery... at least tell me what my possible cards are that I'm looking for and I'll do all the buzzing around and research to see which might be more rare than the next. Just my opinion.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I don't think I made my point clear...

I think having the mystery of what the print runs on certain patterns was smart, created buzz, interested, etc.

What I do NOT think is smart was for them not to have a clear defined checklist for at least what is in the product. Sh!t, I don't care if anything has a serial number and if it is all a mystery... at least tell me what my possible cards are that I'm looking for and I'll do all the buzzing around and research to see which might be more rare than the next. Just my opinion.

...but

if you scan for Belle on the checklist and don't see Belle, you move on. This forces you to work for your cards.

I like it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
...but

if you scan for Belle on the checklist and don't see Belle, you move on. This forces you to work for your cards.

I like it.
Right... but if I see Belle on a checklist which has X # of parallels, then I expect Topps to tell me how many X is, right? I mean I don't think that is a such a huge request... simply help me understand how many possible cards there are for me to go after. Otherwise, some might move on to begin with or not even understand the product, which is somewhat my case.

Again, I don't care that they're not all serial numbered and I don't care that it is a secret for what the SP is or which is more rare than the next.... but I do care for someone to tell me how different versions there at least is. Leave the mystery of how rare each is up to me and my research. Otherwise, how do I know if it is a parallel, a promo, an error, a fake for god sakes, etc.?

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm starting to think there is no Disco Auto /50 for some players. McGwire for one.

How it usually goes this year for the bigger stars, short printed by having only the low numbered auto variations. My pre release guess was RJ only signed the /10, /5 & /1 and so far that is turning out to be true.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts